The Avali Nexus

Discussion in 'Hangout Threads' started by RyuujinZERO, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awareqwx

awareqwx Cosmic Narwhal

Considering that the reason we don't have armed guards protecting our office supply stores is because everything there is dirt cheap and nobody wants to steal it, I doubt there would be too many of those. Funny to think about, though.

EDIT: Unless avali (avalan, avalian?) desk lamps are worth their weight in gold, that is. In that case it's probably extremely likely.

2. J_Mourne

J_Mourne Pangalactic Porcupine

As with all human enterprises, things are a lot more complex than that. While it is certainly true that organized religion has slowed the advancement of the sciences, it's also true that organized religion (particularly the copying of manuscripts) greatly accelerated the rate at which Europe left the Dark Ages.

As far as individual religion is concerned, it has less bearing on a scientist's ability to be rational than you'd think. Some chose to abandon it because they feel it impairs their judgement, while others hold fast to it because they feel that they have a mission to discover the wonders of their chosen god's creation. Neither is necessarily any more nor less capable of performing insightful experiments and developing accurate theories.

...so I'm left wondering why exactly you felt it was necessary to bring up that particular commonplace, especially given that it's sure to piss off some of the religious members of the thread.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  3. SCN-3_<NULL>

SCN-3_<NULL> Pangalactic Porcupine

making a fool out of myself,
    yeah it's a horrible idea(very very horrible idea)

4. J_Mourne

J_Mourne Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, I wasn't able to do any writing this weekend. But I did get permission to share this short that I'd originally written for a supporter. It takes place during Isolation Trial and explains a little bit of the conversation at the end of that story.

Sundown
    System coordinates classified.

ADF Ranger Corps training camp.

Day twenty-one of isolation training exercise.
    As the sun set, Rhai sat crouched in the center of a clearing he’d found, a thin, long wooden spike clutched in each hand. It had all started in the early morning, when he’d begun following a migrating pack of quick, agile herbivores, making do with nothing but his wits, his claws and teeth, and a tiny filleting knife he’d made out of a shard of rock. He’d been stalking one when a chance noise in the underbrush alerted him that something else was also stalking him.

Whatever it had been, it was patient. Rhai had tried shaking it from his trail, but with no success. Confronting a predator on its own turf was always dangerous, but Rhai didn’t see any other options available in the brief time he had before sundown. So he’d fashioned some sharp stakes from fallen branches, and now he waited.

He wasn’t sure that this was a good idea. Sike would’ve laid a deadfall trap with his parachute and some spikes, and Jairn or Kyara would’ve gotten up high to strike at the thing from above. But the thing had been growing bolder, and Rhai was unsure how much time he had left. He could hear it now, circling him. It was quiet and tricky, but nothing could hide from an Avali’s sense of hearing. He tasted the air quickly. The wind had died down now, and he could only detect the faintest hint of whatever the creature was.

There was a snap behind him, a sudden brushing rustle, and Rhai leaped to his feet and spun around. There before him stood the monster. It was huge, all muscle and teeth and thick fur. Six trunk-like legs and a long tail served to counterweight a head large enough to bite off Rhai’s torso in a single go. Rhai hadn’t expected it to be so large. It had been remarkably silent for its girth. But he had no time to chide himself for his faulty assumptions.

Rhai dodged to the side as the creature charged, and he planted one of his stakes deeply in its middle leg. The creature roared as Rhai was nearly wrenched from his grip by the sudden transfer of motion. Then a sudden lashing by the creature caused Rhai’s grip to slip, and he was thrown across the clearing.

The creature leaped after him, all claws and teeth. Rhai dodged the teeth, but wasn’t fast enough to roll away from the swiping claws. Purple blood oozed and dripped from the three new gashes on his face as he continued to tumble away from the monster. Rhai stood up, touched his head, and winced at the sensation. Across the clearing, the injured creature was wary now. Rhai felt a core of anger burning inside his chest, and ignored it. Anger was for fools. Rhai stretched his head to the right, hearing the joints of his spine crackle, and then leaped toward the monster.

The creature was spurred to action by his sudden movement and jumped forward as well. But it wasn’t expecting Rhai to be able to adjust his course in midair. Rhai, gliding as his wings caught the cool evening air, flew past its gaping maw and once more caught hold of his spike, still firmly lodged in the creature’s leg.

As the creature lashed about and writhed, Rhai climbed its back, using his spikes and the claws on his feet like a mountain climber’s picks. After what seemed like an eternity of struggle, he reached the creature’s head, and drove a spike into the largest artery he could find. The creature’s mortal throes were the most violent yet, and Rhai found himself thrown clear.

The monster turned and ran, but the spoor of blood was thick and fresh. Rhai had no doubt that he’d be able to track it in the morning. But first sleep; that and his face needed tending to. What had Kyara always said about gashes?

He couldn’t remember. It had only been a few weeks since he’d last been with his pack, but it seemed like so long ago.
    I hope you all enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

And no, I won’t be spinning this one out into a 4800 word monstrosity.

5. Intrebute

Intrebute Pangalactic Porcupine

Yessssss. This. This I like. Quite a bit in fact. Good job.
    ACTIONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

6. Twei

Twei Big Damn Hero

RULES OF NATURE

7. SCN-3_<NULL>

SCN-3_<NULL> Pangalactic Porcupine

yeah Sam is pretty badass

8. Twei

Twei Big Damn Hero

I feel like the timing of that music is deliberate.

9. Icebelly

Icebelly Weight of the Sky

Wow...
    Ok, so. I know this is off topic but. Holy shit.
    I almost beat Risk of Rain and I only got this game yesterday :rofl:
    That was quite the amazing run. The game is just plain evil though with that final boss...
    It's one of those multiple form bosses...

And J_Mourne. I loved the story. I have to say I've seen a lot of good fanfiction coming from the thread.

10. Myifee

Myifee Guest

Only got it yesterday -> has several characters unlocked already

I really am glad to see you enjoying the game as much as you are.

Icebelly likes this.
  11. Ruti

Ruti Big Damn Hero

You know, I'm going to have to check out the emotes. Wasn't sure how to before, but I think I gleaned it from reading. It's the arrow keys near the numpad is it?

12. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

So recently I have been getting messages from people thinking I'm the Avali clan leader or a moderator. I want to clear things up here, I'm not the clan leader or a moderator. I was the one who brought the issue of the discussion thread to the attention of the mods and suggested the creation of this clan.

So don't send me friend requests or PMs about that please.

Icebelly and 0deneb0 like this.
  13. Mc Fow1er

Mc Fow1er Pangalactic Porcupine

Hey @RyuujinZERO can I post a small tutorial for Avali players who want to be able to use all the emotes?

14. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

Manage to lock down a 670 page thread and suddenly you are a god. =p

15. Mc Fow1er

Mc Fow1er Pangalactic Porcupine

lol I thought that the mods brought it up about server stress. :rofl:

16. Ruti

Ruti Big Damn Hero

cyberspy:rofl:, freezer of threads! (The cold never bothered them anyways, just don't let them strike your heart!)

17. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

I should probably start looking at these fanfics, if they are supposedly this good.

18. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

LOL. Wonder what gave them that impression.

Avali, singular and plural :p - And to a less developed species they might well be

19. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

I will have to take advantage of this, anyone seen any hylotl in the nearby area? I heard they love 'culture' a great deal!
    *evil grin*

20. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

[​IMG]
    Seriously, it's like my most powerful tool!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.