The Avali Nexus

Discussion in 'Hangout Threads' started by RyuujinZERO, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BountyXSnipe

BountyXSnipe Void-Bound Voyager

I leave the thread for about 10 mins and I come back to see it completely changed. I don't know how "fast" this thread was before, but this thread isn't slowing down in my perspective.

2. 0deneb0

0deneb0 Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I know! I think burning down hives is fun to!

3. Myifee

Myifee Guest

I don't appreciate that. You were just as bad as Shadow got, antagonizing him on. Shame on you.

4. Sparrows

Sparrows Pangalactic Porcupine

Aight, I'm sick of bashing my head against the problem, just gonna post and move on and maybe clean up later. Presenting...

The Survivor and the Prisoner

Part 1
    It wasn't quite a dark and stormy night, but it was getting there. Rain was hammering down in fat violet droplets, chasing the native fauna into their dens and hideaways. Underneath the sound of rain, if you listened closely...

"Look, I'm telling you - the Oracle wouldn't send us out here if there wasn't something to find."

The speaker was one of four - a small pack of avali, waiting out the storm under a makeshift nanocanvas tent. They clustered around a small fire that did little to stave off the bone-deep chill of the planet's night, cold enough that even the avali were having problems. But they were dry and it was relatively comfortable, so there wasn't much to complain about as far as the environment went.

"And I'm not saying it wouldn't, Jas. I'm just saying we might be in the wrong spot," one of the others piped up. Her name was Reni and she scratched absent-mindedly at the side of her face, jostling pale-brown feathers out of place as she did so. Everything about the way she sat betrayed the nervous energy simmering below the surface; she chewed anxiously on a strip of nakati bark between words and couldn't seem to keep her hands still, plucking handfuls of deep scarlet grass out of the ground every so often. They were all nervous, though... Reni simply showed it much more than the others.

Roren and Isa - the two males of the group, brothers in matching golden feathers - looked at each other and then back at the bickering girls, shrugging in unison. They'd been planetside for nearly two weeks now, and Jasura had a point. The Oracle AI had claimed there was something to be investigated on this planet and had issued a request for further information; their pack had simply been the ones sent out to fulfill the request and bring back information.

They jabbered back and forth a few minutes longer until the debate petered away. They'd been arguing for the past few days, and the same phrases kept coming up - it was difficult to keep up the pretense of actual discussion when you already knew what the other person was going to say. It was just another way the uncomfortable nature of the mission was getting to them, and by now it had almost become a routine. It was nice to have a routine when in unfamiliar lands, even if said routine was arguing with your nearest and dearest.

Silence reigned for a few minutes until Jasura cleared her throat. "When we get back to Avalon," she said cheerfully, "I'm going to get the biggest bowl of piru curry I can buy."

Roren laughed, a booming sound that would have scared small animals had any been around to hear. "Will you share it, though?" he asked, a twinkle in his eye.

"If you ask nicely," she pouted, poking at the fire with a handy stick. "Maybe I'll tell them not to serve you!"

"Pff. Keep your noodles, Jas; I'll just get something better," Reni said with a laugh. She tapped thoughtfully at her chin, ears wiggling as she thought. "Kiri sundae, maybe? I could go for some of that right now... can you imagine that?"

The rest of the pack agreed, exchanging fanciful tales of plates stacked high with food and bottomless cups, accompanying their words with wild gestures. When they tired of that, they climbed into a pile, curling protectively around each other and settling down until everybody was comfortable.

"Good night," Jasura mumbled, and the words were echoed back to her quietly three times over, just as they always were.

And always would be.

(world's least imaginative title but you can just deal with it okay it'll be relevant eventually)
    (also new avatar because i got sick of the old one)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
    Jsc01998, Arcaline, awareqwx and 2 others like this.
  5. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

*strips duct tape off*
    WOULD YOU STO-
    Wait a minute. Why do I care? They aren't my hive...

6. 0deneb0

Yours is last. I'm in yo galaxy, frying up yo peoples.

7. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

Someone said fried bees.
    Are we really going to start this again?

8. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

*sigh*
    Why is my kind so bad at self-defense?

9. Sparrows

Sparrows Pangalactic Porcupine

...Well, at least one person acknowledged my fic post :V

10. J_Mourne

J_Mourne Pangalactic Porcupine

Very nice. I'm always partial to some good back-and-forth low-stakes dialogue. Not a whole lot to improve on, really. All looks solid to me.
    You get used to it. I discovered posting my story that plenty of people were reading it, and just waiting for me to say words like "last installment" and "thank you all for reading" to actually give feedback.

11. 0deneb0

because they are the equivalent of kamikaze pilots flying soft pillows and carrying a dud bomb :mwahaha:

12. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

Nah, I saw it as well.
    Looks pretty good! Waiting on part 2.
    "Is that Solarian trying to hurt me? BETTER KILL MYSELF TO PROTECT MYSELF."

13. 0deneb0

Mosquitos are to you what an aircraft carrier is to a dingy.

14. Myifee

Myifee Guest

Go grab your killer brethren, they're FAR better at that than you.

15. J_Mourne

It's a matter of perpective. Try thinking of it instead as:

"Solarian trying to hurt me? Trying to hurt the hive? I would rather die than see that happen! I will kill myself to protect the Queen! GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!" *dies*

16. 0deneb0

Too bad they are, as I said, kamikaze pilots flying soft pillows with a dud bomb. Their stings don't do shit (unless your allergic)

17. OmniGeoff

OmniGeoff Weight of the Sky

I like the Avali race. :DD

Intrebute, awareqwx and Marxon like this.
  18. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

Or, you know, they can just relax while they are far away from the hive.
    It's rare to see a Solarian walking casually through the street pull out an axe and head towards the nearest hive.
    It actually does quite a lot if you get hit on the nose.
    Source: I did.
    YOUR EFFORTS TO RESTORE THE TOPIC REMAIN INEFFECTIVE!
    *slaps*

19. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

Or they sting your eye.
    Then...yeah...pretty sure that'd hurt lot. And you might be blind in that eye possibly.

20. J_Mourne

Bee civil war? Now we know why their populations are dwindling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.