The Avali Nexus

Discussion in 'Hangout Threads' started by RyuujinZERO, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Strictly speaking, ifrit/efreet, are a kind've djinn [sentient creatures make of living fire] from islamic mythology. Final Fantasy just "borrowed" the idea, as they are wont to do

2. Ruti

Ruti Big Damn Hero

IIRC, Western RPGs in general tend to borrow fantasy creatures for use in their game. Not sure about Japanese-style RPGs, but it wouldn't surprise me.

3. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Or maybe you should stop listening to quacks and psuedoscientists. Internet addiction (IA) isn't listed in any DSM (least of all the current DSM-V), with no grounds to "diagnose" a condition, there is no grounds to verify that it has been "cured" and no treatment can be developed.

So whoever invented Cognative Behaviour therapy for it, is clearly not a qualified psychotherapist, it's impossible to create a recognised course of treatment, for a condition that itself is not recognised to exist. If it's your parents, next they'll have you chelated to "cure you of autism" or something (Which was totally a fad parents were doing to their kdis a few years back)

4. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Tell that to my parents who just got a copy of it. Seriously help me figure out how to convince them that if you believe that.

5. MrMadmanx2

MrMadmanx2 Cosmic Narwhal

I see

6. J_Mourne

J_Mourne Pangalactic Porcupine

Sorry, but it's in there. DSM V, section 3, it appears. Under Substance Use and Addictive Disorders:

"Addition of criteria for Internet Use Disorder - proposed for Section III, a section of DSM-5 in which conditions that require further research will be included."​

New, but there. Or at least, under consideration for being fully included.

Icebelly, RyuujinZERO and Marxon like this.
  7. Intrebute

Intrebute Pangalactic Porcupine

Keep in mind that it's a proposal.

So yeah let's not jump any guns.
    Guns don't like being jumped. Something to do with a traumatic event.

Marxon likes this.
  8. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

I can use this.

9. J_Mourne

J_Mourne Pangalactic Porcupine

...it sounds like it's not me, but Shadow's parents who need to keep it in mind. Unless they're licensed psychiatrists, I don't think they'll understand the distinction.
    Just... be careful. It's hard to prove sanity to people who are already convinced you're insane.

If they think you're addicted, trying to prove to them otherwise might just be taken as "proof" of how desperate you are to maintain an internet connection.

10. SCN-3_<NULL>

SCN-3_<NULL> Pangalactic Porcupine

What is this? Internet addiction?
    I cant agree on that, the internet is a means of communication/socializing and I cant call a means of communication/socializing anaddicion. I have read an article ONLINE that the use of internet is a human right and other people shouldn't take that away.

I got a feeling I am making a fool outta myself, but I have to make a stand against those who oppose the free use of internet. (end of hidden content)

EDIT: I am on an iPod touch so I couldn't do much research so please excuse for possible mistakes and holes

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  11. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

@ShadowHunter12 Still, if a condition is NOT recognised in the DSM-V yet (only proposed) then there is no time to have performed clinical trials to test the efficacy of various treatments, so any treatment purporting efficacy are clearly falacious

Anyway I'm a bit dubious of "internet addiction" myself, the "internet" is a very broad topic to claim someone is addicted to, in essence it is a tool that covers all forms of human endevour and society. Can a person be addicted to "life"?

Icebelly, J_Mourne and SCN-3_<NULL> like this.
  12. Sparrows

Sparrows Pangalactic Porcupine

avali 2.png

Presenting the other character I mentioned, way back when I posted Jasura - this is Reni, the only other surviving member of their pack. As far as Jas knows, everyone else died... but a group of Apex scientists came across the battle and captured Reni. ("Captured" is perhaps a strong word, given that she was barely conscious at that point and was heavily wounded.) She spent the next several months under their 'care'. The Apex collared her and plucked her wingfeathers to hinder escape attempts while they ran experiments on her - specifically on her neural jack. She eventually worked up enough strength to escape, salvaging the wrecked remains of her sword as she left... on an Apex shuttle, yes, but she was free. The skirt and cape, by the way, are supposed to help mitigate the fact that half her feathers are still growing back in. She'll get a bit too chilly otherwise ;)

Or, y'know, just disregard all that and look at the pretty picture :V

13. OmniGeoff

OmniGeoff Weight of the Sky

All in all, doctors and people will try to diagnose you if they "Think" they know the signs. It means nothing unless they do a MRI of your brain. Don't believe anything people say unless there's evidence supporting that specific claim.

Icebelly likes this.
  14. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

SUDDENLY A WILD UPDATE APPEARS!

So, yeah... go get it, and make poor ole' shadow and jetpack drop what they're doing and go update their server mod packs

15. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

UPDATEEEES!
    ...Of course you had to update right after I install the current mod pack. Of course.

16. SCN-3_<NULL>

SCN-3_<NULL> Pangalactic Porcupine

Horay.........
    (falls back to sleep because its 4AM here/GMT +8)

17. Marcorri

Marcorri Void-Bound Voyager

yay update

18. ProkhorVLG

ProkhorVLG Existential Complex

What's wrong with the settlement generation? It's better than the vanilla IMO.
    Unless you mean adding science buildings and whatnot.

19. Sparrows

Sparrows Pangalactic Porcupine

I think I heard it mentioned before that right now settlement generation doesn't really take advantage of many of new blocks; off the top of my head I can already think of the fact that currently the pseudo-tunnel settlement generation uses plain metal crates and could theoretically be revamped to use the new avali storage crates instead.

20. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Well for starters everything uses outdated tiles, there's loads of new props tiles and design aesthetics that have arisen since then. Secondly I want to move it away from major dungeon generation and instead make it into a sort've sub-biome, like how eyeball cults and agaran settlements are generated.

This means i will be able to restrict settlement generation to just icey environments, which means I can incorperate icey/snowy elements into the settlement designs :)

J_Mourne and legoracer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.