Monster combat changes

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

mollygos submitted a new blog post:

Monster combat changes

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
    Oreas27, Din0kid, 1John5vs7 and 81 others like this.
  2. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

Oh YEAH!!
    Now we are talking.

Really excited to see where you are taking this, tactic based melee combat is right up my street.

What about projectiles? Do you think it might be possible to deflect certain solid kinds?
    Perhaps shields deflect them back toward the monster and two handed weapons allow for a quick dodge direction of your choice.
    Maybe not, might cause some balancing issues with guns vs melee in pvp, but just throwing it out there.

On the subject of dual wielding though, maybe the block for that results in a quick counter hit., so the monster strikes and if you time it well you do a quick block that doesn't knock back or down, but follow it up quickly with a fast stab?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  3. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Oh man. Oh man all of these changes sound SO SWEET! you evil tease, Tiy!

4. Malicante

Malicante Phantasmal Quasar

This is going to spice up combat, which, in my opinion, is a bit boring. the stun and no more touch damage will be great as well, as I recall someone in the dev team saying they will eventually only deal damage during an attack animation. I do have a few questions though.

1. Will you be able to parry even when your shield is recharging? As it takes no "shield health" to do a parry.

2. Have you thought of possibly integrating a "shield bash" where you sacrifice a chunk of the shield's health to stun a monster?

3. Would two handed swords be getting a damage buff with this change? For example, dual wielding crafted 1 handed swords does almost 240% more DPS than a crafted 2 handed sword. (Same damage but the 1h swings quicker.)

5. matheod

matheod Big Damn Hero

That awesome. A perfect change !

Svarr Chanston and JoeBlk like this.
  6. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

This is interesting. I wonder how the AI is going to work with the random terrain though.

Serenity, Arthanen, Drakalen and 7 others like this.
  7. Kyasupah

Kyasupah Pangalactic Porcupine

Sounds awesome! Just what I was keen on, pretty much didn't use melee at all before. I truly feel sorry for you Tiy.. Having to listen to all this nonconstructive bullshit people throw at you.. Just ignore the haters.

Shalderave, Ravager, Titanium and 3 others like this.
  8. Dust

Dust Giant Laser Beams

I like the idea. I hope to see it in the game when it is ready. And wish you lots of luck getting it done right.

jonathonspy and JoeBlk like this.
  9. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

This is the bit where the monster parks itself at attack range, a few blocks below the player and keeps biting the wall while the player hammers on it's head :p

Nonetheless, I love this concept

10. Seir

Seir Phantasmal Quasar

This!! This is definitely what Starbound needs. Add some roll evades, backsteps, and Thrust attacks with all weapons and I'd be just huntin critters 24/7

11. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

You telling us you were almost always ranged :saywhat:

jonathonspy, JoeBlk and Cloudhopper like this.
  12. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Let's do the monster bash.

I'm also thinking that the illustrations were a good idea. Something similar would probably be useful in future updates.

13. blindfaith

blindfaith Master Chief

Sounds awesome!

14. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

15. eurosat7

eurosat7 Void-Bound Voyager

Sounds very interesting to me. Might be fun to play - We will find out. Bring it on! ;)

A note: Some monsters have multiple attacks and I generally like that. But sometimes it goes a little too far: A bird with fireball, electro and dive-tackle forced me to abandon a planet! *g* So..

I hope the "intelligence" of a monster comes into play: Switching between different attacks should take some time. The smarter the monster the faster it switches and the more attack pattern.

Also if I was able to parry or evade multiple times the monster might realize it has to change its attack pattern. Even slight changes or variations can be a lot of fun.

Some ai-status-particles might be fun to experiment with:
    • ... "thinking"
    • :-( "realizing an attack is not working anymore"
    • !! "trying something new"
    • :-D "I have success!"
    • X-( "panik, run for life"

16. Tarani

Tarani Scruffy Nerf-Herder

All the proposed changes sound terrific, really looking forward to trying 'em out once they're implemented!

17. Renlou

Renlou Industrial Terraformer

18. jovial

jovial Subatomic Cosmonaut

Very interesting. When I pick up Starbound again it'll feel like a completely new game. :D

JoeBlk likes this.
  19. matheod

matheod Big Damn Hero

If we are in this situation :

OXOXO
    O
    XPXO
    O
    XPXO

XXXXX

Where O is air, X dirt, and P the player. How the monster will react ? Because it can't stay in front of us. Will he go in the hole with us ? And then being in the same place as us ?

Zaba35, IvoryOwl, BlastRed and 11 others like this.
  20. Kyasupah

Kyasupah Pangalactic Porcupine

Yeppers!

JoeBlk likes this.