1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Avali Race Mod, The second thread!

Discussion in 'Races' started by RyuujinZERO, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thakyZ

thakyZ Cosmic Narwhal

I keep getting when I download it as 0.11.0 and not 0.11.1 but i did fix it

2. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

Here's my thoughts on the whole dyeing thing and I am on a tablet, so no text color.
    Orange + Blue. It seems like not a lot of people like this combination.
    Yellow + White. I've always liked the color scheme of Hyperion.
    Green + Red. Diggin' it!
    Purple + Orange. This is a tough one. But I think it's better than green.

3. Valiance30156

Valiance30156 Big Damn Hero

Holy crud man. This is awesome. *claps* You deserve the applause.

I tend to have a bit of a vivid imagination, so I could definitely 'see' what was occuring in the text. In other words: I got FEELS :cry:

4. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Awesome writing, and no I can't really nit-pick anything at all. It's all very much to the letter . I do wonder how Sike managed to get together a fire hot enough to smelt metal from random stuff in the environment, on a world with probably no oxygen - but that gives way to the rule of cool brought by having MacGyver on the team :p

5. Ruti

Ruti Big Damn Hero

OK, I was pondering a couple of general linguistics oddities I suspect would be distinctively Avali in nature, based on their tendency to act as a pack, rather than singly.

The first is pronouns. We have singular and plural. I could see the Avali having individual/pack/plural versions of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd person (and possibly a form for 1st+2nd)
    Individual pronouns would probably see primary use within the pack, for instance, coordinating different roles in a maneuver.
    Pack pronouns would be the normal 'singular' when packs are interacting with each other, a grammatical indication that the individual is first and foremost a member of a cohesive unit.
    Plural would be used when referring to more than 1 pack, such as a tribe moving to a new location.

Secondly, I was pondering differences in naming. More specifically, I could see three names being attached to an individual.
    * A personal name given at birth (before beiong bonded, and used to distinguish members of a pack from each other)
    * A pack name which refers to the bonded unit, which could be the equivalent of a family name, and could be picked either by the pack, or by the pack training them.
    * A tribe name, also similar to a family name in a sense.

J_Mourne and Valiance30156 like this.
  6. awareqwx

awareqwx Cosmic Narwhal

Metal oxides and sulfates will sometimes release oxygen when heated, fueling their own smelting fire.

7. J_Mourne

J_Mourne Pangalactic Porcupine

Shh! You're supposed to ignore that part! It was... uh... space magic. Yes.

*waves hands rapidly to make problem go away*

He called upon the same primal fire spirits that have aided many an adventuring Starbound player character in their metalworking endeavors (forget the methane atmosphere the Avali have to contend with, how else could you maintain forging temperatures without fuel?).

This is only really helpful if he were smelting an ore found in oxide form, like iron. Copper is more likely, since it comes in purer forms naturally and has a lower melting point. Ignoring that, iron is ruined by the addition of even small amounts of sulfur (becomes brittle even at forging temperatures), so that wouldn't work too well for forging a blade even if it could reach the required temperatures to reduce the oxide. Interesting thinking, though.

I'll just have to brainstorm some equally-incredible but more plausible demonstration of skill than metalworking (fabric making perhaps; though that doesn't have the same feel to it...).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  8. awareqwx

awareqwx Cosmic Narwhal

Well, you never specified what kind of metal his tools were made of, so you really could put anything that would sound plausible, or just leave it ambiguous.

9. Ruti

Ruti Big Damn Hero

Another question came to my mind, that of family and mating. By necessity, mating is one-on-one, which means it can't be done as a pack (so far as I know)
    So how does the process of mating and raising young Avali occur, pre-bonding? (I imagine after the young one is bound to his pack, the pack is taught as a unit.)

One possibility I thought of is that mating might be done pack-to-pack with individual pairings within the joined unit, which would be in keeping with the communal nature of the Avali identity, and perhaps make the bonding process more natural.

10. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Interestingly, some varieties of horse will mate with most the males in a herd, so as to obsfucate who the actual father is, which results in the males having to hedge their bets and play nice with the resulting foal. Of course, such behaviour in a playable race while interesting conceptually, would lead to all the wrong kinds of roleplaying xD

I havn't wanted to set too much in stone relating to mating and bonding behaviour simply because I don't have any particularly good and unique ideas that wouldn't end up being applied in all the disturbing ways :p

11. Taverius

Taverius Phantasmal Quasar

This is teh intarwebs, they can all be applied in disturbing ways.

Intrebute likes this.
  12. Ruti

Ruti Big Damn Hero

That's understandable. I can't see how an Avali would peel away from the pack for long enough to raise a child to bonding age, plus that doesn't fit the pack mindset very well, so it makes sense that on a general level, one pack would 'marry' another when the time came, by mutual agreement of all involved. (although there isn't any hard reason such a union would need to be permanent, pending other factors)

I don't suppose the details of how that works is too terribly important though, as it may even be the case that there is no one single arrangement. I don't think the above methodology would be required for the males to be willing to raise all the young ones though, as their identity is with the pack, and the children would be children of the pack.

13. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Mates aren't/isn't intended be permanent, nor originally anyway. Though it quickly became apparent that people couldn't shake the idea of pair bonding from an RP standpoint (plus was more practical for some players), hence I later added an exception pointing out that on rare occasion the new bonds with a mate are strong enough to sever their link to their old pack entirely and forge a new bond. But that is meant to be the exception more than the rule and mostly was a detail of convenience to help players/writers

14. Raieth

Raieth Ketchup Robot

I've always been a big fan of the mating season festivals. With lots of light and colour and sound and dancing. Multiple packs all joining together for a period of time to swap stories and goods and DNA. Then every pack going it's own way to lay and care for eggs. Then once they are old enough (school age) all the packs join again to teach their young. Pooling resources and allowing new packs to form.

But then again my head-cannon also says that the original invaders/uplifters were the Irkens so...

Kawa likes this.
  15. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

[​IMG]

Valiance30156, Intrebute and Mackinz like this.
  16. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Lol, i just saw what you did there xD

Battle Bee likes this.
  17. Raieth

Raieth Ketchup Robot

Pay no attention to the man behind the iron curtain.

18. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Would to really be DNA though? I thought you said that they weren't water-based lifeforms like... everything on Earth?

Deoxyribonucleic Acid and reproduction involving it requires water, I thought?

19. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I can't help it.

"Ah, there's nothing like a good orgy."
    "Yeah, and that was nothing like a good orgy!"
    "DO HO HO HO HO HO HO!"

RyuujinZERO and Mackinz like this.
  20. Ruti

Ruti Big Damn Hero

Actually, this idea makes a lot of sense, especially if Avali are only in season briefly the same time every year. I imagine tracking geneology could be a pain though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.