1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Avali Race Mod, The second thread!

Discussion in 'Races' started by RyuujinZERO, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. legoracer

legoracer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just a bit of clarification on the matter: Raieth was working on converting the vanilla vanity clothing, I was working on converting the first few sets of vanilla armor. (Copper, silver, gold, etc...)

The armor conversion project has been on hold recently as my focus was diverted to another project, but I'm about ready to pick it back up again.

Finn Learson likes this.
  2. Mattyrogue

Mattyrogue Starship Captain

Jeeze, new thread already? Did the previous one hit a page cap of 700 pages or did the Mods lock it due to the occasional floods of useless banter?

3. Ruti

Ruti Big Damn Hero

The old one was a half dozen pages shy of 700 when its life was mercifully ended by a mod. In its wake, this thread and the second Nexus were born.

4. Mattyrogue

Mattyrogue Starship Captain

Probably for the better then, to be fair I was getting a little tired of having to scroll through anywhere between 5 and 50 pages a day. I wonder if the same hype/discussion train will start for this thread or if things will mellow out a bit more.

5. thakyZ

thakyZ Cosmic Narwhal

Will there be office furniture like chairs, cubical walls, and wall objects (the parts facing toward the screen but it can be walked through), and office chairs.
    Also will there be more ship furniture than the ones that are default in a ship.
    And could there be couches and something like a TV screen?

6. Shard of Sorrow

Shard of Sorrow Pangalactic Porcupine

Quick question just out of pure curiousity. I know nothing about coding.. but doesn't the armor fit female and male's differently? If so, could you possibly make a third 'gender' for the Avali, where all the vanilla armor adjust to their body structure? Probably a horrible work around if not simply improbable. (Nor do I really care for the armors to be converted.)

7. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

So, ship upgrades are a thing and apparently coming very soon. How will they be implemented for the Avali ships? I know about FCS and MadTulips, but the point still stands.

8. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

About to do some quick testing, but I think I figured out the problem...

Because I had to make my own merchant npctype files, I copied some off of BetterMerchants and forgot to change the inventory selection to "avali---" in each. Let's see if that is the issue.

9. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

They don't have offices or need TV screens if you've read the lore :p - hell, the holograms/consoles are mostly because people found it hard to adjust to the idea of a race that relied so heavily on augmented reality. You'll be getting chairs in the next update

Unfortunatly not, the gender binary is hard-wired into the file format.

I'll burn that bridge when I come to it, it's quite a headache they have on the horizon

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  10. Deathedge736

Deathedge736 Giant Laser Beams

on the ship thing: perhaps you can get some tips from the ship mod makers?

11. Mackinz

I fixed the issue on my end. I think Ryuu made a few booboos in his __merging of merchant.npctype (ex. "item": should be "item" : with a space between the words and colon... all the issues are like that), but that doesn't matter for me because I made these merchants independent of merchant.npctype!

Download this!

That's right, this mod/add-on/plug-in is almost fully self-contained, and only requires the avali race mod for the race, clothing and marketed items.

It adds three new merchant NPCs to the game, based off of the merchants added in the base avali mod:
    • The Avali Farmer sells Avali produce, flour, and seeds.
    • The Avali Bard sells various instruments cheaply.
    • The Avali Weapons Dealer sells Avali weapons, with differing inventories per sector until sector X (in other words, threat level 5 and above should have default inventories).
    Included are two semi-unique versions of the add-on. One of them, AvaliMerchantsNoBM, requires the Avali mod, and the other, AvaliMerchantsYesBM, requires the Avali mod and my BetterMerchants mod. Both mods come in file folder and modpack forms so that Unstable and Stable users alike can enjoy the mod/add-on/plug-in.

Also included are two instruction files, AvaliMerchantsReadme.txt, and UsingAvaliMerchants.txt. "Readme" gives you all necessary info and warnings for installing, updating, uninstalling, and troubleshooting. "Using" tells you the differences between the two mods and how to use them.

Enjoy, guys!

12. J_Mourne

J_Mourne Pangalactic Porcupine

How would Avali packmembers show affection? Kissing seems difficult without obvious lips (and seems like a largely human phenomenon). Does hugging seem like a sensible possibility? What about things like head contact, either by resting heads together, or maybe even a cat-style headbump? Or would ear position/feather position/something else be used?

I'm also approaching completion on the final part of the story series I was posting in the old thread, so where would you like that, eventually? I can wait on posting that if it'd be convenient.

13. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Their face structure pretty much precludes kissing, yes xD - resting forehead/muzzle together has always struck me as something that'd work well and makes a good image if anyone ever wanted to draw it, though seems more like something more personal, like between mates. Cuddling/hugging would certainly work well and make sense

The presence of absence of a space doesn't matter I don't think :p - Now commas on the other hand, JSON gets incredibly finicky about.

14. Mackinz

Normally I'd agree with ya, but the main differences between my test version of avali_merchant.npctype and its final version is that all those definitions have spaces... and no pointless "rarity" entries.

I think the LUA code was causing it, not JSON.

15. Valiance30156

Valiance30156 Big Damn Hero

I was wondering about something lore-related:

At what age do Avali typically begin schooling, and for how long do they get taught until 'graduating' into the main workforce/ government?

16. Ruti

Ruti Big Damn Hero

I would have to imagine 'schooling' is done with a pack, or at least a pack forms fairly early in the process.

17. pivottester

pivottester Space Spelunker

hey ryuujin, if a avali has multi-personality disorder, and controlls drones, would the other personalities be projected on drones?

18. ProkhorVLG

ProkhorVLG Existential Complex

Is there any major legislation restricting the use of certain technologies, civilian-wise and war-wise? (For example, the banning of orbital WMDs and toxic gas on Earth.)

19. Insectoid

Insectoid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I was going to wait until I could word this better, but since pivottester has brought up the topic of disorders: How does Avali society treat disabled individuals? Missing or nonfunctional body parts such as limbs and eyes would be easy enough to treat or remedy with their tech, but what about other disabilities, or Avali without packs? What about mental illnesses?

This question has been bugging me since I first read that "damaged packs are often treated as disabled individuals (like an individual of another race who has lost a limb)" on the wiki. Well, HOW are disabled individuals treated? :p

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  20. Larynkir

Larynkir Void-Bound Voyager

That and the fact that different species would have different technology. It's always nice to add your own unique variants of things into the mix~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.