1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Avali Race Mod, The second thread!

Discussion in 'Races' started by RyuujinZERO, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kn4ck3br0d37

Kn4ck3br0d37 Big Damn Hero

Sometimes when I see how much work you've done and how often you update I think about those timelapse videos people do when they work and I keep thinking that's just how you work normally.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I guess "Suggesstions" go here too and I've made something I wanted you to have a look at. First of all, I draw like a 4-year old, secondly, I don't sprite much better and I'm sorry for butchering your sprites so badly but I wanted to get some form of "concept art" out so it wasn't just all words.

You were talking about armor before, adding heavier armor and such and one type of armor I've always liked is the ones that have collars that go up past the chin of the helmet to prevent the vulnurable neck area from becoming a bullet trap so I just played around a bit with the sprites for combat armor and the Assault helmet.

Is it even possible to have collars that cover the neck area as part of the armor within Starbound's framework?

I know super-heavy power armor doesn't really fit the Avali style of being nimble and quick but there are always situations where mobility isn't as important as the ability to hit like a truck and have the stayingpower of an ex-wife and I think the Avali military wouldn't overlook that.

The situations I'm thinking about would be something like boarding a vessle or breaching a building/facility and fighting in cities. And yes that is a railgun mounted on his back.

So yeah I'm not gonna' sit here and be all "oh lol dude I'm so good I'll make spraitz for joo" I just wanted to show you something I thought would be cool (If done better than I did) and maybe even give you a grain of inspiration.

And as such, I present to you, my horrible attempt at "concept art": Cliché names for the armor could include but are not limited to:

XV-22 Battle Suit
    AMAXI - Avali Mechanized Assault Exoskeleton Infantry
    Enforcer - Because when has this not been a popular name for big power armor?
    Adeptus Avali
    Mk VI Mjolnir (and it's spelled Mjölner damn it)
    Mobile Suit Avali

Armor_Concept.png
    So, from left to right:
    • Base armor: Quite bigger than most Avali gear and is designed to basically be the first person in the room to draw fire/lay down supressing fire while other faster units rush in behind the larger unit.
    • It's just a shortened Firelance so it would fit better as being shoulder mounted.
    • First helmet is supposed to have a "Glass dome" look to it while the other just has a slit and the thing at the top is supposed to be a camera or something along those lines. Could probably remove the slit and just say that you view the world through the camera. Would fit the armored theme too.
    • It's a shoulder pad. I started working from the hand guard of the T10 2-handed sword but it kind of ended up looking like a space marine shoulder pad.
    • Arms. First one is meant to look like it has a minigun with a magazine, second one is meant to be a vibro blade and the last one is just a plain arm.
    • The bottom row is examples of different combinations.
    I hope it gives you something to think about.

EDIT: I Wanted to go for a more "super-thick chest and thinner abdominal area" but the armor just ended up being basically evenly thick.

EDIT EDIT: I just noticed the right-most example is even missing his right arm. Sucks to be him.

2. Raieth

Raieth Ketchup Robot

I just want to post this again in case it got lost in the old thread (like most things)

Ryuujin if you ever want ANYTHING out of my mod, I will gleefully hand it over. Just let me know so I can remove files to prevent duplication errors.

3. Jeffrey94

Jeffrey94 Master Chief

So, the old thread died in fire...

Ah well, hopefully the mod discussion won't get lost amidst all the roleplay now.

4. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Ketchup Robot

Won't happen we have a clan thread now this thread is just for discussing the mod and none of that derailing stuff :p

Interesting concept... but... the name of the armor... is TOO MUCH like the Tau Battlesuit naming system from 40K

5. MrMadmanx2

MrMadmanx2 Cosmic Narwhal

I think the heavy is too much in my opinion. but I have been wanting Arm Guards. fully covering armor is ok, but bulking it just seems wrong. but I do have a few ideas on armor concept

6. Sparrows

Sparrows Pangalactic Porcupine

Aw, when did the platforms go from being stairs to being slopes? I liked the way they looked before and now I can't make sweet-looking orange platform stairs any more :(

7. MrMadmanx2

MrMadmanx2 Cosmic Narwhal

quite some time ago

8. Kn4ck3br0d37

Kn4ck3br0d37 Big Damn Hero

9. J_Mourne

J_Mourne Pangalactic Porcupine

The second helmet from the right (with the laser pointer mounted) is awesome, good job on that one.

10. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Interesting, this does have some useful ideas tucked away in there, I might experiment with some offshoots of this in the next next update

11. TheDarkOne

TheDarkOne Void-Bound Voyager

On another note, why don't/can't we just have both? I mean, you could have it where one version has stairs (for those of us that like them), and another version for the slopes (for those of us that don't like stairs).

P.S - I am now the "Master Chief"
    P.P.S - Get back foul beast! *mashes backspace* HOW DOTH THOU SLAY YE?!?! :(

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  12. I have a question, I tried searching the old MOD thread for the Avali before I came here. It looks like someone had mentioned WIP to be able to "tailor" vanilla armor to fit the form of the Avali's body?

I guess the question I have is what sort of plan is there to tailor vanilla weapons and armor for Avali use? Or is there any, honestly it could go either way. The humanoid form is prevalent in the Starbound universe, it would make sense to have a few species that shy away from humanoid tools.

13. Tremendo Dude

Tremendo Dude Pangalactic Porcupine

Sadly at the moment there is no support within the game for modders to specify alternate body appearances for clothing based on race. The only way to tailor clothes specifically for avali would be to create new versions of the vanilla clothes that would only fit avali.

Even if such a thing was possible, I'd imagine such a thing would be lots of work and low priority, so I don't know how long it would be before the clothes were fully tailored.

14. Raieth

Raieth Ketchup Robot

<-- That's me.

I'm working more on getting the base set of crafting 'tables' worked out. But the plan is to make vanilla clothes fit avali.

I'm not sure what you mean by weapons though. All the weapons can be wielded by avali with no trouble (that I'm aware of). I have been contemplating adding an avali themed matter manipulator to Catalina Ind but that's way further down the line.

15. Yep, answered my questions! Just wanted to know what was going on with that. I suspected that what you are doing was going on, but now you've confirmed it. =)

I'll probably give these raptors a try in the near future.

Thanks for the speedy reply!

16. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Been working on the Avali merchant spawners, and have ran into a weird issue just as soon as I thought I had done the thing flawlessly. :(

Edit: I seriously have no clue what the heck is going on. I cab make spawners, spawn the NPCs, watch them run around and bladder to one another... but the second I interact with one, game crashes and I get an "Improper conversion to VariantList from map in get{"recipes"}" in the log. This has never happened to me before, and I can't seem to find any errors in the files I've made...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  17. Valiance30156

Valiance30156 Big Damn Hero

Speaking of concepts, I've had several papers tucked away somewhere with firearm designs. They might fit in... but at the same time might be too 'human'-esque.
    If I can figure out how to post an image successfully [and RyuujinZERO doesn't mind], I'll post it here.

18. awareqwx

awareqwx Cosmic Narwhal

You've made spawners for mods in the past, right?

If I had to take a shot in the dark, I'd say that either whatever format Ryuu is using for the items is slightly incompatible with shopkeepers, or somehow you're trying to convert from the standard format to some weird format. Other than that, I don't have enough experience with how Starbound works to help much.

19. SpaceKGreen

SpaceKGreen Existential Complex

Hmm. Are you using the merchant item lists already included in the Avali mod? Or did you make your own?

It sounds like there's an error with the item list. Did you miscount a bracket or two?

20. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Are you properly using the "__merge" format? - It sounds like the error you get when you over-write merchants.npctype

Yeah I never personally planned to convert existing armour sets given the lengthy process of making armour, I'd rather make unique sets than convert existing sets (At least in light of the fact the vanilla sets cannot be made wearable by both avali and humanoids simultaneously)

Finn Learson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.