1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Avali Race Mod, The second thread!

Discussion in 'Races' started by RyuujinZERO, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Honestly, less stressful. I can work piecemeal on a variety of stuff as I please, instead of having to get everything packaged up for a tight schedule.

2. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Ketchup Robot

I'm one of the people here who appreciate big updates, it also gives the modder more time to test the mod themselves along with testers (if they have mod testers) to find bugs and eliminate them before doing public releases. :p

3. MrMadmanx2

MrMadmanx2 Cosmic Narwhal

indeed

4. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

I love how this thread has only 3 pages, while the other one has 9 already.

5. Oraiu

Oraiu Cosmic Narwhal

Ah.. Floor cleaner.. The smell of new-avali threads..
    Now lets not spam it up this time.

6. Christovski

Christovski Ketchup Robot

Thank you for giving those of us not interested in the wildly off-topic discussion an option to still follow development of this mod.

I'm installing it today, excited to try it out! I try to limit the # of mods I use, but this just looks spectacular as well as lore and style-friendly to the world of Starbound

7. Icebelly

Icebelly Weight of the Sky

Well we can leave all the weird stuff and other random stuff for the clan thread.
    Meanwhile we can actually discuss the mod development and give bug reports here.
    Also I have to agree with big updates being better than small patches.

8. Deathedge736

Deathedge736 Giant Laser Beams

the clan thread is for off topic and lore discussion if you have questions. you can also check the wiki.

9. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Well I'm thinking it'd be ok to cover lore here as well, people have discussed lore and a bit of spam and we gained 3 pages today. At that rate the thread will last ~6 months before it needs replacing again.

Deathedge736 likes this.
  10. Deathedge736

Deathedge736 Giant Laser Beams

thats more generous than the 2-3 months I'm giving it.

11. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Haha, the other thread is 14 pages already. Ryuujin, you sure know how to inspire people.

I have some questions.

1. Will you be asking forum mods to like this thread with the Avali mod releases?

2. How did you develop inspiration for the Avali? (guesstimate if you have to)

3. Are there any tips you can give for fledgling race mod makers? I want to make my Gallavoir popular, but it seems like my WIP thread is in need of a Pokemon Center.

12. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I don't believe they physically can, I'll be posting updates here though anyway, i usually flesh out the update posts anyway.

It came together as elements over a long time; their biology came from musing on how an ammonia based biology would have certain tolerances to things we take for granted (For example frostbite is a problem unique to water based animals). Their raptor like appearance after a thought experiment i ran on the Spore forum musing that if there had been intelligent, civilised dinosaurs - what evidence would there be of their existance 65 million years later (And occured to me that very few people use the idea of a "feathery dinosaur", prefering to take cues from mammals or reptiles). The reliance on hearing, pondering how a creature would percieve the world differently and how that'd shape it's culture etc. While much of their tech are from pondering the practicalities of future technologies and how they'd fit together.

Despite appearances, Avali tech is actually much more down to earth and "lower tech" than most other sci-fi races, often being little more than scaled up and refined versions of tech we already have functional prototypes of in the real world. The reason for their apparent "amazing tech" compared to the other races, is they do not actually use their tech to it's full capabilities (Humans have energy shields for example, Avians have resonance crystals that can warp space, generate power or provide anti-gravity, etc)

Asides from technical stuff, not really. I honestly did not expect the Avali mod to be popular at all being an original race competing against the likes of MLP, catgirls, furries, Halo races etc. which have their own pre-built fanbases. I was going to be content if I could get it into the top 10 race mods xD

However it got that initial user base remains a mystery to me O,o

Mackinz likes this.
  13. MrMadmanx2

MrMadmanx2 Cosmic Narwhal

though I am no modder. I am an idealist. perhaps I can offer ideas

14. Larynkir

Larynkir Void-Bound Voyager

Slight question.

One of my shopkeepers for the village I was making got iced.

Is there any way to create shop spawns for avali?

15. Mackinz

Sure, sure. Just hit up my thread. You can reach it through the.link in my signature or by looking at the Races subsection, bottom of first page or top of second.

Yes. You'll need to make some custom spawners and such. Easy enough to do (see: BetterMerchants :p).

16. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Not at present within the framework of the mod :(

17. Mackinz

I could see about making a few merchant spawners for you guys. It's really not hard.

18. Larynkir

That would be lovely!

I want to make a nice Avali planet on the server I'm on~

19. Mackinz

I'll do it tomorrow after I get home, then.

MrMadmanx2 likes this.
  20. Larynkir

yay thanks so much n..n

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.