1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Delete character?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Dassery, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweFox

SweFox Guest

Adblock.

I posted the gif because it shows exactly how easy it is to remove chars from the game.

2. SweFox

SweFox Guest

Okey? Don't tell me to get out.

Kabu likes this.
  3. Wingfighter

Wingfighter Guest

One could write a tool in C/++ which reads name + uuid from all metadata files, then makes a list of the players where you can select a name, then the tool deletes all the files containing the uuid assigned to that character name in the filename.
    But I have better things to do, and going to a folder, opening all .metadatas then finding which uuid your player has then deleting the files with said uuid IS NOT THAT HARD.
    If anyone wants to make that tool, have fun with tinydir.

4. sleepy123

sleepy123 Big Damn Hero

Well, Swefox, to have a delete character button is a MUST in my opinion since it's an easy and efficient way to deal with that issue instead of :
    -close starbound,
    -open c:, go to steam, assets, whatever,
    -delete everything,
    -go to the recycle bin,
    -delete again,
    -reopen the launcher
    -launch the game
    I tend to play a lot with hardcore characters which sooner or later face death (curse you lava planets!)
    I was surprised to see Starbound didn't have a delete button and I had my own personal character graveyard until I figured out how to delete characters. It's a slow and annoying process and definitely should be changed soon.

It's not THE priority but it certainly seems like A priority.
    As the philosopher H. S. once said: It's the little things that make up life.

5. Wingfighter

Wingfighter Guest

You don't need to go into the recycle bin and delete it, that isn't really needed unless you want don't wa
    nt it to be recoverable. You also don't need to always navigate there. You can make a shortcut or put the folder to your favorites. Ffs, that's why these functions exist after all. If you're still to lazy to right-click and delete, make a bat with
    Code:
    RD /S /Q ".\players"
    and put it in your starbound folder.

The | Suit likes this.
  6. sleepy123

sleepy123 Big Damn Hero

It's not hard or overly complicated, but it's much faster to just right click and delete it or use a delete button just like Minecraft did.
    My point was that implementing something like this makes your life easier.

Leaving this feature unfinished is making a bad first impression, even though the menu looks great and the game is fun, it's a small yet bothersome detail.

Also you can't recover a perma-dead character or at least you're not supposed to. If I wanted to do so I'd have previously done some sort of backup or just created a normal char.

7. Wingfighter

Wingfighter Guest

I didn't say you could recover your character. I talked about real files, you don't have to wipe the recycle bin unless you really want the file to be unrecoverable or you care about these few KBs

8. sleepy123

sleepy123 Big Damn Hero

:D

9. SweFox

SweFox Guest

Then make your life easier and follow wingfighters suggestion until delete button gets added :)

10. sleepy123

sleepy123 Big Damn Hero

Well you said it might not be added at all so I pointed out that would be a mistake.
    This is of course my opinion but I think it's awesome so I wrote it here.

11. nerfcrazy5

nerfcrazy5 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I know this topic is a little old, but to clear up confusion, the .metadata file has the name clearly stated for ya :)

12. ~ ~

~ ~ Void-Bound Voyager

You can open the metadata file using notepad, there should be one or two lines of text saying your character name. After that should be a string. All of the files for that character have that string. You need to delete all of the files with it for the character to be fully deleted.

13. nerfcrazy5

nerfcrazy5 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well that's kinda what I said but more detailed so... good job :)

14. KONGIKU

KONGIKU Void-Bound Voyager

huh-- there is seriously still no delete button?? ㅇㅈㅇ);

15. Toquio3

Toquio3 Star Wrangler

I love how the fanboys keep defending not having a delete character button because you can open game files in a text pad and delete your characters that way. its really unbelieavable, its as if this is perfectly alright.

I'd love to see if they would be ok with it if every game dev started doing this. no more delete <anything> buttons. now its all through deleting game files directly.

Dont get me wrong, im a child of the DOS days, but I like to think we moved on to better things. But apparently CF doesnt think so.

KONGIKU and sleepy123 like this.
  16. Jepton

Jepton Subatomic Cosmonaut

Really, it should be relatively easy to delete a character, and not have to manually do so.

KONGIKU likes this.
  17. Young Alek

Young Alek Subatomic Cosmonaut

There's a mod to delete characters easily now.
    Located here.

18. KONGIKU

KONGIKU Void-Bound Voyager

I can't use it! I'm on elementary OS luna >_<

19. Young Alek

Young Alek Subatomic Cosmonaut

Sorry to hear that! Looks like you have to do it the hard way. :(

KONGIKU likes this.
  20. Dr craft

Dr craft Scruffy Nerf-Herder

actually you can do it in starcheat, a mod that you don't need to drag anywhere, just extract and run. self explanatory from there.

Young Alek and KONGIKU like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.