1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Avali Race Mod 0.12.4

The only fluffy nomadic space raptors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awareqwx

awareqwx Cosmic Narwhal

That's how the Protoss from Starcraft do it. But anyways, it would probably be much cheaper to have a flash-warp system that returns you to the ship to be revived than simply rebuilt from scratch.

2. InADarkMirror

InADarkMirror Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd consider reworking the entrances, because that many large tent poles next to each other looks rather messy, but other than that it looks pretty good.

3. 0deneb0

0deneb0 Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

As I stated, I'm still scrounging up copper for armor right now. I'll definitely look into changing those when I have the resources. I have some pretty ambitious plans for the underground complex though.

4. Deathedge736

Deathedge736 Giant Laser Beams

im considering a tent/permanant structure

5. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Sorry, Shadow constantly aggravating caused me to miss this message ¬_¬

Basically superior medical technology and drone tech. Their guardian nanites can help auto-stabilise a critically injured patient by making temporary sutures in open wounds, or cutting blood flow to an open artery - further stabilised by their neural augmentation shutting down non-essential systems while preventing shock., while their medical chip can put out an alert to drones on their ship (and the ship itself) to come collect them for emergency treatment with an auto-doc type system.

Complete memory backup cloning, like th Apex and humans do is illegal on simple ethical and philosophical grounds; just think carefully about what is actually happening:
    • Cloning a new adult body is in essence creating a new lifeform, skipping it's childhood and personality development.
    • Implanting the victim's memories over-write what little original thoughts the clone has, with all the memories and identify of the deceased.
    To an outside observer, the clone is a duplicate of the original individual, but what you're really looking at, is a new individual, built to order, and with his own identity replaced with that of a dead person. Morally and philosophically it's a complete violation of the new individual, creating a new lifeform and re-writing it's identity, so that it can carry on the legacy (and please the relatives) of the dead person :p

6. 0deneb0

0deneb0 Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

And as further proof I'm an idiot, I forgot to set this world as my home before I went exploring on other worlds -__- thank goodness I still have the coordinates

7. Billy Mays

Billy Mays Aquatic Astronaut

"Shepard."

J_Mourne and RyuujinZERO like this.
  8. InADarkMirror

That depends on if the clones can even develop individuality in the first place. If it were me, I'd ensure that the clones were genetically distinct in that they wouldn't have any brain activity until implantation.

9. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Except in ME3 we discover Shepard may not even be Shepard, but a VI implanted into what little they could recover, making it an amusing inversion :p

Still doesn't change the fact the new individual is not the deceased. You could use the same tech to create a copy even if the original was still alive

10. InADarkMirror

Worrying about the value of originals versus copies is just a quirk of human bias. :p

11. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I'd say on the contrary. If you were to die right now - but, I could provide you with a perfect clone, with all your memories, to carry on in your stead.... would you really care? - You're still dead. Meanwhile, if society itself is ok with having clones serving as replacements in order to suspend or deflect grief, it's a slippery slope to creating clone armies, or genetically modified super-servants.

12. Deathedge736

im personally against cloning full adults. EVERYONE deserves a childhood.

13. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

First, a bit offended that you've ignored my attempts to stop being such a bother to you.
    Second: I completely agree with you on cloning, I'd rather have my battered body expertly repaired by hyper advanced technology than basically having someone else just like me inherit everything. It's still dying as the consciousness is not preserved, kind of the argument some teleportation methods bring up(I'd prefer not to discuss this because it get's very philosophical and metaphysical very fast), and if you're dead you're dead. Honestly though I like the idea of, however morally wrong it still would be, is to have a clone generated with everything, excluding the brain, and have the original person in some form of stasis and their brain linked up to a sync crystal system (would explain pixel loss on death since you need a new crystal pair each time) or a more conventional method to project your consciousness into this non sapient, empty shell of a body that is for all intensive purposes still your own. I could imagine avali who choose this path would be virtually indistinguishable from a natural born one because the only difference is where the physical brain is, it's dangerously close to cloning but if you suppress the growth of the brain proper and only have open nerve endings to interface with, it's just as sapient as a plant is. What is your take Ryuu?

14. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Ketchup Robot

the cloning issue wouldn't so bad if you could actually transfer the consciousness of said person, not just memories but the complete whole of the person into the body of the clone.

15. Calabrese

Calabrese Guest

What about cloning as a way of preventing the extinction of a species? Without the transplanted memories part, I mean.

That falls within the scope of transhumanism, if I understand that topic correctly.
    EDIT: And, on second thought, you're still overwriting the clone, with all the potential social/ethical/religious implications.

16. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

It's rather the realm of theology and philosophy at that stage, because as yet we have no definitive, scientific explanation or model for why sentience arises, to then begin suggesting ways of transferring or securing it.

This was actually my original plan for the race, but was retconned to the more conventional wireless neural networking for a number of reasons:
    • Drama - You can't easily isolate an individual if they have real time networking to the nexus
    • Death Penalty - If you have a latency free, perfect connection to an avatar body, why risk taking your real body out the house?
    Both are valid answers, but, it rather undermines things from a gameplay and narrative point of view and hence had to go. That's not to say there might not be some exceptional individuals who have sync-crystal networking, but they are few due to the prohibitive cost and scarcity of the crystals.

17. Deathedge736

an avatar body would not need the crystals right? your only sending to a planet surface after all.

18. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Then again, it's easier to perhaps protect and preserve the crystals for retrieval later, just have them encased in an exotic super durable alloy (you probably won't need too much thankfully) because 99% of the time, people don't die as the result of a high explosive blast or being vaporized thoroughly.

19. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

That too, but someone could possibly use an emp bomb to basically knock out if not kill the bodies of people using this method due to lack of input. With crystals you can put a sort of faraday cage or other em shielding around it because signal quality is always perfect regardless of distance.

20. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Ketchup Robot

My knowledge of explosives begs to differ on that opinion, if you aren't killed outright by the explosion then fine but you can kiss your organs good bye because they turn to jelly due to the concussive force of such blasts. In essence... you still dye because of massive internal bleeding and organ loss.

edit: just for good measure :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blast_injury

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.