Tutorial How to successfully pack and unpack .pak files

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by SexualRhinoceros, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Dolan

Dolan Pangalactic Porcupine

Hey SexualRhinoceros, have you seen my MP ?
    Myy point is not to make ad for my tool ModPackHelper but I think it can help a lot of people getting in trouble to pak unpack mods and assets.
    The fact is that my tool provides scripts for Windows 32/64, Linux 32 and Linux 64 (and maybe with help those last one could be converted for Mac users also).
    I saw that in your first post you don't have any program referenced to do that for Linux.
    I hope you could add my tool link to both Windows and Linux "Program to do this for you".

I wanted to also ask the community :
    My mod allow to pak and unpack mods in the "Starbound\mods" folder and since the version 0.7, could also unpack the packed.pak file from the "Starbound\assets" folder.
    Do you wan't a tool like this, to also be able to pak / unpack assets (Not only packed.pak) from the "Starbound\assets" folder ?

2. Dolan

Dolan Pangalactic Porcupine

Hey Gubz, the "pcre3.dll" is part of the "Starbound\win32" folder. You can fix it through the Steam "Verify integrity of game cache".
    It will check missing files and redownload the ones who are missing.

Gubz likes this.
  3. Gubz

Gubz Void-Bound Voyager

This worked. Thank you so much! Have no idea how that file managed to go missing.

4. Stormalisk

Stormalisk Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Here is some more help for Linux users:
    Code:
    For Linux, using TAB is your best friend at finding the correct pathing. Also case sensitive.
    The current way I have done it is:

cd /home/USER/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound

hit enter, then enter this:

./linuX32(or 64 bit, depends on your computer's bit)/asset_unpacker ./assets/packed.pak ./assets/TEST(or whatever you want to name the folder)

Then it will begin, and prompt you when it is finished.

5. SexualRhinoceros

SexualRhinoceros Existential Complex

add to OP, thanks!

6. Minerations

Minerations Void-Bound Voyager

So for mac user you might have got it unpacked right? and your wonder how to get every thing you changed in there back. Well just name the folder packed.pak and boom there you go!

7. Kakoure

Kakoure Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I tried to follow all of the steps but when I try to run it I get this error
    error.png
    Is there any way to fix this?

8. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

It's mistaken. asset_unpacker is a 32-bit application. Try revalidating your Starbound installation, in case something about the file is "off".

9. Qrystaline

Qrystaline Big Damn Hero

i did everything you said to do but i have no results... nothings happening. the cmd is like frozen or something it wont do anything

10. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Asset_unpacker works silently. That may make it look like it's frozen, and it does take an awful while to finish.

11. CommanderWasp1x

CommanderWasp1x Big Damn Hero

I'll give this a try when I get a chance, thanks dude :)

edit: I tried it and no luck, the Pak is labelled ".modpak" and your pak-er only recognises ".pak",
    Thanks anyway :)

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  12. CommanderWasp1x

Cool thank you, should help to personalise mods to my play style. Thanks again :)

13. KazeSkyfox

KazeSkyfox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh COME OOOOOONNNNNNN

Please tell me this is just a beta thing and they'll have a proper (read: typical windows user friendly) way to pack/unpack this stuff without the cmd at some point because I hate the cmd, it's hard and it doesn't have enough pictures and ctrl+v doesn't always work for me and I have to type out the directories and it hates me. D;

I'm a windows user, I like to double-click things and have the magic window open up that I can do stuff to. ;_;

14. SexualRhinoceros

SexualRhinoceros Existential Complex

change the .modpak to .pak and it'll work. They're the same thing
    I stopped playing starbound or I would :3

15. CommanderWasp1x

Ok I'll try that, thank you :)

16. CommanderWasp1x

Nothing wrong with Cmd/Dos prompt, Dos was always the mosts powerful system on any and all versions of Windows, I know all Dos/Cmd commands, I'm just lazy, lol :).

There is a more advanced version of Dos/Cmd hidden in the Windows Directory, although I know all the commands I don't remember what its actually called, lol :).

17. KazeSkyfox

Good for you, I don't care. :V

In order to manage my Minecraft server I have to put up with PuTTY which is basically a remote-access Linux terminal, which in layman's terms roughly translates to "giant pain in the ass" so I've met my quota for incredibly annoying and unintuitive command-lines for the next billion years and I'd like things to be easy on Windows and not force me to type out the directory which is REALLY long and cannot have any mistakes in it at all (and there's no auto-correct) for three different things.

I don't see why they had to make this process suck now. I could probably do it if I wanted to put out that much effort but I don't think I should have to and the game lags just as badly as it did before anyway so their optimizing didn't help at all.

18. CommanderWasp1x

I used to run an old Minecraft server AGES ago but I got bored and got rid of it, last time I went on Minecraft it was 1.5 full release, its probably on 1.8 now, lol.
    I have no problems with Starbound Performance wise, its just out of date mods and character save corruption that I have problems with, I had to start another new character yesterday. Ohwell keeps the fun going :)

19. KazeSkyfox

I always restart characters. Minecraft is 1.7.9 so you're close, but I only play on 1.6.4 because the game is crap without mods to me.

I get lag issues on singleplayer. I don't know why, I just wish the old mod process were back. Tonight I wanted to make a simple mod that added more colors to the paint tool but I couldn't even look at the assets to figure out how because I honestly don't have the patience for this crap. I've been putting up with command lines for far too long on PCs. It's 2014, I expect things to be easier for normal people and not feel like a throwback to '93.

20. CommanderWasp1x

Download this. I just used it to personalise a Mech mod that was packaged in a ".modpak", it can also unpack all the assets but it takes a little while so be patient, still it does the hard stuff for you. :)

download in/on this Link - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/modpackhelper.1828/

Edit: oh and unzip the Helper into your Starbound Mods folder for it to work :)