1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Avali Race Mod 0.12.4

The only fluffy nomadic space raptors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Levrix

Levrix Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Heh, What makes this whole thing absurd is the fact we are even being forced to talk about it.

2. QuicksilverConspiracy

QuicksilverConspiracy Subatomic Cosmonaut

So until this shiznit gets fixed...
    WILD ASS LORE THEORIZING TIME!
    Do you think the avali eat meat raw? They wouldn't cook it warm... Maybe season it a little?

What if Avalon was earth all along?
    PLANET OF THE AVALI.

What if Avalon is actually Eden-3 from lost planet in the future?
    Would be fun to have avali with grappling hooks go up against humans in vital suits attack on titan style. Hell, they already have the swords for it...

3. Garan

Garan Void-Bound Voyager

Now, I only have this citation from the wiki : "Herbivores typically survive by being massive, lumbering beasts that can crush attackers, or simply weather their attacks by having biologies that allow them to survive the assault" and this in my head :
    [​IMG]

4. QuicksilverConspiracy

"...And this is a planet they named Avalon!"

And a general reason why the other races don't colonize the planets the Avali live on.

And the humans realizing that the life on the planet can get big, and the weather can get WORSE.

5. Gantros

Gantros Pangalactic Porcupine

I looked at the tilesets and found myself a bit confused as to what went where and how to go about it. So, having seen optional patches for other mods (VitSotU, for example), I thought if I requested a patch from Ryuujin, and he looked at Construction Squared and thought it was worth his time, he might make a quick little patch that anyone who was interested could download and drop into the Contruction Squared folder.

6. NLights

NLights Subatomic Cosmonaut

So, it appears everything from the Unstable build has been pushed to the Stable build, making everyone up to date... Doesn't mean everyone is working properly though :I

Edit: Also, it appears that from this point on, mods must be in .pak format.
    Edit 2: Info source: http://playstarbound.com/stable-content-updates-bug-fixes/

7. Qwaar

Qwaar Void-Bound Voyager

But I thought they were saying they were going to STOP using pak format....

8. Jetpack725

Jetpack725 Guest

Yeah, their original intention was to do that, because pak format made all the updates require 500+ Mb to upload, but now they are making mods do it, that's completely opposite of what they said they were doing.

9. NLights

NLights Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well, it seems that they fixed it, so we won't be having 500+ Mb updates... But only the future will tell if that's true.

10. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

You already know they season it, you can do so in the game; make meat jerky, or other spicey foods :p

Now, I'd like to SAY they cook, but I'm not sure you can even light a fire on their homeworld persay, let alone heat the meat up high enoguh to denature the proteins... let's just shrug it off as them having some other chemical reaction (maybe using the local flora) on hand that produce heat they can use for that purpsoe ;p

11. Farrel

Farrel Void-Bound Voyager

Actually, I'm pretty sure that as long as they've got something they can burn, they'd be able to cook even in terrible negative temperatures... Ice is a pretty poor conductor of heat, so you'd be able to raise the local temperature inside even a structure made of ice high enough to cook meat... Just as long as you can get something to combust in the first place.

And perhaps they have access to other materials than snow and ice to insulate an area with?

Come to think of it though, isn't Jerky dried meat, rather than cooked? (UK resident here, we can't really get jerky easily)

12. Gratuitous Lurking

Gratuitous Lurking Space Kumquat

Don't forget other methods of curing meat, like salting and drying it.

Well as long as Avalon has at least a little bit of water somewhere, they could also use the chemical reaction of amonia/water as a heat source as well, beings it lets off steam. It's not like the world would completely explode if just a little bit of water was found somewhere, ala the excuse of radiation atmosphere in the Battlefield Earth movie.

13. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

The problem isn't finding stuff to combust; it's the fact there's no oxygen on Avalon; "fire" is simply a runaway oxidation reaction.

But yes, lurking is correct - there's no shortage of water ice. All they'd need to do then is take some ammonia and some ice and apply mechanical force to the ice (likely mashing snow in a narrow pipe) til it warms up and melts, then they can pour the liquid water and ammonia together so that it reacts and produces heat.

For our next challenge, we're going to figure out how to cook crystal meth with ingredients found on Avalon...

14. QuicksilverConspiracy

Hmm. Perhaps the Avali used to eat food raw most of the time, but cooking it makes it taste better to them. Cooking food on Avalon pre-techjump was a long and drawn out process involving finding the specialized flora, probably containing a ton of magnesium, that can react hot enough to cook the meat. Being a cook in Avalon pre-uplift was actually a pretty dangerous job, because if the burnroot went up outside of a thermal insulated compartment, the backlash heat could kill an Avali in minutes via hyperthermia. You couldnt open the oven until the burnroot was all used up or you would risk the heat backlash. So cooking was time consuming because you had to:
    Kill the animal
    Take the meat to a chef
    have the chef cut and prepare it
    have the chef very carefully put it in the burnroot chamber with just the right amount of burnroot to get a good rare steak
    Cooking time
    wait for the chamber to vent out enough excess heat that the Avali can open it without scorching feathers and killing itself from hyperthermia.
    Cut the meat
    serve it.

Later on, the water and ammonia trick became useful for cooking meat, but even then it was still relatively dangerous due to the possibility of a runaway reaction overheating an entire building.

So the simpler method was to dry it or apply spices and eat it raw.

Once contact was made with the humans, the Avali were amazed to discover that you could cook the meat in an oxygen rich environment such as the hab-domes the humans lived in just using an open flame.
    Once the humans were driven off, Avali cooking bloomed until the oxygen supplies ran out. By that point, they had become spacefaring, and began settling on other planets, where the meat could be cooked much more easily.

It was a common joke in the early days of Avali colonization that the relatively poor colonists ate better than anyone back on Avalon, but by the time Starbound Campaign starts, interplanetary shipping costs are low enough that it was easy to import in precooked meat and oxygen for cooking the meat from the colonies. Meat importing has become a rather lucrative industry amongst the Avali, because now everyone can eat 3 squares a day of what once was a delicacy for the upper class alone. Entire colony worlds exist of butchers, ranchers, and chefs for the sole purpose of precooking meat and canning oxygen for export to Avalon.

15. Gratuitous Lurking

Gratuitous Lurking Space Kumquat

Sounds like a cool enough 2-3 chapter Codex for Avali settlements to me :3

16. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

Well by the sound of it, I'm guessing it's a definite "no". If you have any questions though, feel free to ask in the ConstructionSquared thread.

17. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

This doesn't have anything to do with food, but I have to ask... avali packs are composed of siblings, right? So, like, which parent pack gets the egg when the time comes to make sure the species doesn't go extinct? Do two packs merge into a single larger one, have a few young, then once the young are old enough do they split off and become an independent pack?

18. Farrel

Farrel Void-Bound Voyager

Ahh :) Okay, sounds like I need to read up more on the wiki. Although thinking about it, if there's water ice... There's oxygen. Could be that there's something else in the atmosphere it reacts to, keeping it away from being gaseous oxygen though.

Either way, I'll read up before commenting further :)

On the plus side, for anyone interested, the game seems to boot up just fine with the following mods still in working order.

Alsehr's Jamptastic Song Pack
    armourstandtable
    armorstandtableavali
    avali
    AvianFeathers
    Crystalplants
    descriptionplates
    energy Bridges
    felins
    InvisibleArmor
    KemonoRaceMod
    Kobold
    Liquid Extractor
    Logistics Frigate (Manually updated to from the released version)
    MMNgun
    No Pixel Loss Compressor 1.4
    PTForceGate
    solariumlantern
    xbox (slightly older version of xbawks extra species mod)

19. QuicksilverConspiracy

And by our standards the Avali prefer their steaks super rare. As in still bloody rare. Both because cooking it any longer used up more burnroot, and they're raptors.

20. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Well I got a nanostove now and I'm fine with that, though the plasma trail from my rifle does most of the necessary cooking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.