1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Delete character?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Dassery, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dassery

Dassery Void-Bound Voyager

Self explanatory, any way to do it in-game? or do i have to go into the directories? if so please tell me where.

Dannydoodle likes this.
  2. nathan00107

nathan00107 Zero Gravity Genie

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\player

Just delete all of the files located inside the 'player' folder. Please mark this as solved. :D

LukeAndAdam, Gigas, Uber_ and 3 others like this.
  3. Ergast

Ergast Scruffy Nerf-Herder

While it can be done outside the game, I agree with Dassery here, in the future at least there should be an option to delete characters in-game

GMark, Dr craft, BlueSmoke and 3 others like this.
  4. Slim Slader

Slim Slader Void-Bound Voyager

won't that delete all the players...

mon2354 and Short Turtle like this.
  5. nathan00107

nathan00107 Zero Gravity Genie

Possible, ive seen that there are 3 files for 1 player.

6. Whimsii

Whimsii Void-Bound Voyager

Player save data consists of three files: metadata, player, and shipworld. You'll have to go in and find the player ID (it's usually some absurdly long string of random letters and numbers) and delete all three of those files to delete that character.

How to tell? Hard to say. The character you've played most and most recently you can easily identify by sorting by date, and they'll usually have the largest filesizes. Everything else is probably going to end up being a bit of a guessing game, so back up your files before deleting things nilly-willy.

Gigas likes this.
  7. Reyalan

Reyalan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

that worked pretty well with me when I tried deleting one of mine.

8. Wintorn

Wintorn Phantasmal Quasar

Could copying the save files to a perfectly generic folder, updating your game, and copying them back in also be used to keep your character data between updates?

9. Whimsii

Whimsii Void-Bound Voyager

People have tried, but it's assumed that the encoding method for saves differs so much between some updates (namely from Irritated -> Annoyed Koala) that it might not work. For the most part, however, it should work, in theory, as long as the same encoding method or whatever is still used, and the save files are similar enough for the game to read.

Personally, I like to keep backups of my player and universe files to begin with.

10. DaveDee

DaveDee Void-Bound Voyager

You can just open .player file with notepad. First string will contain name of character.

Rasyna and Fibriel Solaer like this.
  11. sonicgamer15

sonicgamer15 Orbital Explorer

Anyone figure this out for mac? Or at least any advice?

EDIT: also were do you guys get your star bound avatars from , I want to get mine on here too!

(play minecraft if you haven't noticed :3 )

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  12. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

Is there any reason you NEED to delete characters? The character list is pseudo-infinite.

13. T1tanUp!

T1tanUp! Intergalactic Tourist

go on the main web page then click create character right click and save image

Rasyna likes this.
  14. sonicgamer15

sonicgamer15 Orbital Explorer

Oh thank you ( gosh i feel dumb now :rofl: )

15. Jepton

Jepton Subatomic Cosmonaut

If you're confused, don't play as the character you want to delete for a day.

The dates won't change, and the files would not have been modified past that date, saving you from guessing.

16. Young Alek

Young Alek Subatomic Cosmonaut

If you have several characters, and easy way to find out which one would be to do this.
    Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\player, as this is where the character's files are held.
    If you go into your game, the list of your characters corresponds with whoever was played last to first.
    The files are set up the same way, if you sort your files by date. Odds are, if the player you want to delete was the one you played last, the character's files should be at the top (again, if you sort your files by date). However, opening one of the .player files in notepad, pressing Ctrl+F, and searching for the name of the character you want to delete is also an easy way.
    Once you find out which files that correspond to the character you want to delete (.player, .shipworld, .metadata, and .bak), just delete them and say goodbye to that character you fudged up.

Rasyna likes this.
  17. coldReactive

coldReactive Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Bartwe himself said he doesn't see a reason to have an in-game delete function. (It was on a stream, so I can't link it as evidence.)

18. Young Alek

Young Alek Subatomic Cosmonaut

Too bad WE, the people who buy the game, see a reason to have an in-game delete function.

19. Russy

Russy Pangalactic Porcupine

Open the player file in notepad or whatever you use, ctrl + F, search for character name.

20. Cyvros

Cyvros Void-Bound Voyager

Same with me, sorry to push up an old topic, but:
    I created a caracter for some testpurposals yesterday.
    Today I opened "/Users/MyRealNameWasHere/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/Player"
    and deleted all files marked as changed yesterday.
    There where 4 Files : .metadata / .player / . shipworld / .shipworld.bak1

What's strange is that even after a restart of starbound, the char is still in the list :(
    Any further suggestions ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.