1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Avali Race Mod 0.12.4

The only fluffy nomadic space raptors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

CCC-CRAZY IDEA ALERT!

A thought just occurred to me that would please the tier-10 players, make my life infinitely easier, and as an added bonus, give me the option of making "logical" crafting recipes!

Basically, my idea goes like this:
    • I hash out a full selection of tier 1 to 10 armour that uses the "mask" (invisible) sprites. These invisible armour pieces have the same crafting requirements as the stock armour pieces for parity. For immersion they'll probably be labelled stuff like "impervium ballistic plating", "aegisalt helmet cladding" or something, implying they are components that fit into your armour, rather than the armour itself.
    • I then implement all the avali-specific armour sprites as vanity armour that is crafted from logical materials (leather, fabric, appropriate metals, electronics etc), to be worn in the vanity slot

Pros:
    • Get access to tier 1-10 armour right now, no waitting weeks or months for class appropriate armour
    • I don't have to develop entire unique armour sets. Players can mix and match pieces.
    • Lore-accurate crafting recipes for teh immershunz
    • Greater variety of armour styles since they no longer have to represent their tier.
    • I can easily add sub-armour types as I had planned (such as +energy or +thermal bonuses(
    Cons:
    • Some people might be confused by the fact tier armour has no visual

CCC-CRAZY STRAW POLL!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  2. Strazyplus

Strazyplus Big Damn Hero

[​IMG]
    SO CRAZY IT JUST MIGHT WORK
    I am fine waiting for proper armor, but if it makes them happy why not?
    to fix the con make the description of the armor tell them how to use it!

3. Strazyplus

Strazyplus Big Damn Hero

4. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Maybe "that's crazy (but awesome)" would've been a better choice ;)

5. DarkusTheFirst

DarkusTheFirst Big Damn Hero

I'm not one for the logical and sane so HELL YEAH! I'd love to see that too ^^ So, another vote of yes?

6. LordHylium

LordHylium Void-Bound Voyager

Hey, random thought, is there or is there going to be a custom Avali flag?

7. Ixantir

Ixantir Ketchup Robot

are the various blocks paint-able?

8. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Ketchup Robot

currently from looking in the mod folder I don't see any of the blocks having a color pallet which means they probably aren't paint-able maybe that's something Ryu will add later down the road.

9. Ixantir

Ixantir Ketchup Robot

Ah I should have checked myself. I feel like a silly dinosaur now X3. I want to use some of the newer materials on my Klignon B'rel (Bird of Prey) Project (the machined blocks in particular) but without a color pallete I'm not sure they would fit terribly well.

+1

10. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Yes, eventually (but seriously why are people so hung up on the flag and rez animation in preference to working content like armour and weapons? - it's doing my head in >.<)

That'll be coming in the near future, it's very high on my priority list. Likely you'll see the first steps in the enxt patch or two

It's not just about "proper armour", the fact is making "proper armour" requires me wasting time and resources on outfits that are nearly duplicates or skipping potential outfits that are not "armorued enough" for higher tiers. This system would allow me to make far more varied armour styles. Everybody wins, there is no loser in this idea

LordHylium likes this.
  11. LordHylium

LordHylium Void-Bound Voyager

Hey, I just found one of your posts on the Spore forum, in reference to the Iubati sapiens.

But anyways, the flag thing doesn't really matter, I'd rather you work on shelling it out before you get the minor things, it was just a random sidethought.

12. InADarkMirror

InADarkMirror Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've been playing Starbound since the day after it released, and I've never crafted any armour above tier 2 until I played the Avali mod. It just doesn't matter to me; I'm far more interested in exploring and building cool things.

If I had to guess, I'd imagine that a good number of the people interested in this mod are at least somewhat similarly inclined, and care more about the aesthetic than kicking the most ass possible.

13. Icowom

Icowom Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Heh, I already RP these 'plate inserts' with my group, so I for one dont really object to yes or no. But further immersion is always very appreciated

14. Tokoshoran

Tokoshoran Pangalactic Porcupine

As somebody who operates on the logical side of things, I can say this:

Armor inserts is a grand idea. Being able to fit these plates or pads into something that would normally operate as just appearance wear would be excellent. The Avali are, after all, the kind of species that does not wear large quantities of clothing (perhaps due to their shape), just skirts and loose "scarf" like shirts (or, at least, that's what the starter gear certainly implies).

15. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Ketchup Robot

is curious... where does one obtain Avali Data Chit?

16. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Indeed. I'm having trouble envisioning any great deal of variations on "pants", simply because I don't see them wearring them, they're more likely to just wear ponchos/scarves/cloaks around the shoulder and upper body, as well as utility stuff like belts, satchels etc.

They should spawn in any Avali settlement in the containers (though not frequently) however I messed up a couple lines which make them rarer than intended. That'll be rectified in tommorow's patch; it's only a temporary measure anyway, eventually you'll get them from Avali info terminals (codex bookshelves) and from micro encounters in the wild.

17. Raieth

Raieth Ketchup Robot

I love this idea, functional, and lore based! Win-Win!!

OssomSagax likes this.
  18. DionZeromus

DionZeromus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes, yes, yes, and oh HELL YES!

Sure, armor inserts can be a right bitch to deal with in reality, but if it keeps me alive when lead (or plasma, or lasers, or fire, etc.) starts flying, than I'll suffer the trouble to stay alive! And as said, it really makes more sense than the more... nonsensical designs available currently for the various tiers in the 'canon' races. I'm looking at you tier 5+ human armors. Yes you, DON'T YOU TRY AND HIDE IT!

Then there's also the fact that frequently players'll hunt down vanity items anyways to 'customize' the look of their characters beyond the armor to begin with! It's just the Avali armor is already awesome enough to not need it as much!

19. triggertried

triggertried Astral Cartographer

Maybe boots could be their thing. Instead of pants, they like decorative boots that wouldnt interfere with their feather skirt.

Fevix likes this.
  20. InADarkMirror

InADarkMirror Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the current draft of my Avali-styled dugout, built on the edge of the town I managed to find. It took me a while to get the lighting looking right, I tried it with just the strip lights but you really need the ship lights too to even out the lighting and make sure your crystal gardens aren't overpowering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.