1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed SBDiagnose FAQ

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by bartwe, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cool2412

cool2412 Void-Bound Voyager

Disable steam overlay

Step 1 - Go to starbound in your steam library
    2 - Right click it and go to properties
    3 - Uncheck the box that says enable steam community in game
    That should help you.

2. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

I don't get it. I write instructions for the two most common issues, yet no one actually bothers reading them, and continues to post the same diag text over and over with "ZOMGHELP", then others come along and re-post the exact same steps that were already posted a dozen posts ago.

Whatever.
    --------------------

ASUS Xonar Driver / HsSrv.dll issue:

This is a known issue with the ASUS driver, not Starbound. It affects hundreds of games.
    These are some of the possible fixes. They may or may not work, depending on which card/driver you have.

Solution 1:
    1) Disable "GX Mode" in the ASUS Control Panel. This appears to be a button in the lower right-hand corner, in the "DSP Modes" cluster.
    2) Reboot

Solution 2:
    1) Open Task Manager and kill "Hsmgr.exe"
    2) Try opening Starbound

Solution 3:
    1) Locate the ASIO Latency setting and increase it by 50ms
    2) Try to load Starbound
    3) Repeat (stop when you get to 150ms, and reset the ASIO settings)

Solution 4: (At least attempt Solutions 1, 2, and 3 before trying this)
    1) Download Process Explorer from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653
    2) Open Process Explorer
    3) For Vista/Win7/Win8, select File > Show Details for All Processes
    4) Select Find > Find Handle or DLL...
    5) Search for "HsSrv.dll"
    6) Write down the names and PIDs of the processes which are using HsSrv.dll
    7) Close the Search window
    8) Kill the processes you noted in Step 6
    9) Repeat steps 4-8 until Step 5 returns no results.
    10) Locate "HsSrv.dll" on the computer and rename it to "HsSrv.dll.inactive", or something similar
    11) Reboot

Solution 5: (Not all cards are compatible with these drivers, check before installing).
    1) Download the UNi drivers from http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/
    2) Uninstall the ASUS Xonar driver, reboot.
    3) Install the UNi drivers, and choose the C-Media control panel.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  3. cool2412

When I try to run Starbound it doesnt start up...
    I tried looking at task manager and shure enough when i hit the "Launch Starbound" button it starts then shuts down like 5 seconds after i press it.
    Please help me here is what i got when I did the diagnostic, It seems pretty normal to me i don't know why it is not working.

Scanning System

Number of processors: 8
    Processor architecture: x86
    Processor: Intel64 Family 6 Model 45 Stepping 7, GenuineIntel
    ProcessAffinityMask: 000000FF
    SystemAffinityMask: 000000FF
    WindowsVersion: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1

EnvAppId: 211820

Environment Compatibility Flags: ElevateCreateProcess

Done.

Also, My operating system is Windows 7.

4. cool2412

You say to disable Compatibilitty Mode but you dont mention how you do it?

5. RvLesh

6. RvLesh

Search the forum.

If you don't find any solutions, start a new thread.

In the new thread, attach your dxdiag.txt and starbound.log

7. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

Thanks for the good faq items, i've quoted them in the top post.

8. WiskeySauce

WiskeySauce Void-Bound Voyager

Star bound Runs fine, well did... With the new update I get a C++ Runtime error and the game CTD's this is fine though because I play using the Open GL Version of the game. But before the Angry kola update I ran the game On Open GL at a alright 24-30fps and now it runs at like 7-9fps! Any help?

Number of processors: 2
    Processor: x86 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5, GenuineIntel
    ProcessAffinityMask: 00000003
    SystemAffinityMask: 00000003

Steam is running in compatibility mode.
    Running steam in compatbility mode can cause stability and performance problems.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/sbdiagnose-faq.52470/

Done.
    and Steam compatibility mode is off.. Some help would be great PM me if needed..

9. RvLesh

I assure you, compatibility mode is on if SBDiag says it is. Follow the instructions linked to in the first post.

10. Yazzo

Yazzo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

They are telling me I'm running Starbound with compatability mode, but I am not. Any tips?

11. xXSoulSlayerXx

xXSoulSlayerXx Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks for the tutorial :) Greatly appreciated.

12. PeterFour

PeterFour Intergalactic Tourist

13. The Alien Way

The Alien Way Existential Complex

Hmm.. I did all this regedit stuff a while back but now its saying compat mode again.. Went through the entire tutorial (just now) destroying Steam related stuffs (even used regedit search function to make sure, though I didn't kill any that weren't in the specified folders etc), restarted Steam and verified SB cache.. But it still says its in compat mode :wut: Can't find anything else to delete here :>

Win7, 2.2ghz Core 2 Duo, 4gb ram, Intel Mobile Integrated 4500mhd, not that these things really matter here :p

Exact readout, if it matters:
    Scanning System

Processor: Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10, GenuineIntel

Done.

Any ideas on what I'm missing? :(

EDIT: Saw that SteamService.exe itself was the problem causer in some situations so I launch a search, which returns 3 different .exe files, one of which came from a Civ 5 demo I downloaded from FilePlanet that has the administrator "shield" icon on it, but doesn't say its in a compat mode in the properties.. The other two instances of this exe also show shields, one in my Steam bin folder and one in Common Files/Steam (both of these are mine).. Can't get rid of that evil shield through properties, so what should I do with them?! :wut:

EDIT2: deleted the Civ demo SteamService.exe, as it technically came from another users system anyway.. But I also deleted my two SteamService.exes and relaunched Steam, it updated (to replace the file/s).. The one from the bin folder didn't come back, but the one in Common Files/Steam came back and instantly had the admin shield on its icon (though it still shows nothing enabled in properties, nor asked for admin permission to delete the file in the first place..)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  14. Sozzar

Sozzar Intergalactic Tourist

Scanning System

Number of processors: 3
    Processor: AMD64 Family 16 Model 10 Stepping 0, AuthenticAMD
    ProcessAffinityMask: 00000007
    SystemAffinityMask: 00000007
    WindowsVersion: 6.0.6000

The Steam Overlay has been detected.
    Disabling the Steam overlay may improve render performance.

Environment Compatibility Flags: VistaRTM ElevateCreateProcess

Steam is running in compatibility mode.
    Running steam in compatbility mode can cause stability and performance problems.

Done.

This what I got.

15. Blumatter

Blumatter Space Hobo

Well hmm, I'm not sure whats up with mine, since I'm not the greatest computer techie, but either my computer wont handle it or somethings gone amiss. What happens whenever i try launching Starbound, in just regular "Launch Starbound", and "Open GL", is that it crashes, doesn't load at all, i just get the "Not responding message" over and over again. Help if possible. Here is my diagnose:

Scanning System

Processor: x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3, GenuineIntel
    WindowsVersion: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
    Windows XP detected, it is recommended to use a more recent version of windows.

Done.

I'm pretty sure its just my computer is so bad, it just wont run, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm free too them. Thanks.

16. xBasilisx

xBasilisx Big Damn Hero

Number of processors: 4
    Processor: AMD64 Family 21 Model 1 Stepping 2, AuthenticAMD
    ProcessAffinityMask: 0000000F
    SystemAffinityMask: 0000000F

Done.

Okay.. wth.. I tried every fix I found so far but nothing really helped. I tried to configure Nvidea controll panel settings, changing starbound.exe with the open_gl one, disabling steamoverlay, playing fullscreen/windowed mode and different resolutions and zoom levels and removing these registry entries I still have 10-20fps if I walk around on planet or ship and only got around 5 fps better after all these fixes I tried.

17. Traijan

Traijan Cosmic Narwhal

Okay before I go through the trouble of removing things from my registry etc as per the instructions...

1. Has anybody that has removed *all* steam related items from the registry as per the instructions found any of the other games that were listed in the registry under a steam path having problems running?

2. Did this help to improve your Starbound game performance? If it did, by how many frames per second? 2, 5, 10, 60 or what?

It seems to me that our computers may not be the issue but rather the game itself. I'm not trying to push blame anywhere, after all SB is still in 1st stage beta, but I really don't like being the dog that chases his tail constantly trying to improve something if it's not in my power to improve it (i.e. improve the performance of the game if it's the games optimization that actually needs to be done).

While I can get acceptable performance playing vanilla, if I insert any kind of medium sized or larger ship mod, the game comes to it's knees once I've started to load up my ship with all the junk that I've collected on my travels, and to me that's kind of what Starbound is all about. The same things happens if I'm on the planet surface... I'll get 30 to 60 fps on a bare planet but once I start to build my own home on the planet and then load it up with the stuff I've collected the game comes to it's knees and produces fps of (occasionally 9fps) 13 to 20 fps. So what it seems like to the laymen is simply that the game can't handle a large or even medium amount of stuff on the screen at the same time. It could also be said that the computers in question can't handle a large or even medium amount of stuff on the screen at the same time although since I play almost every other game of my 250+ steam library acceptably with medium to high settings on one or the other of my gaming laptops I have to think that it may just be an issue with the games optimization and or not being able to deal with this many items on the screen at the same time.

My computers stats for reference:

Computer / laptop one
    Asus G46VW
    8GB SRAM
    Nvidia 660m (game is forced to use this GPU in the Nvidia control panel, although I've tried both and the Intel 4 almost gets as good of performance as the Nvidia chip)
    Intel HD 4000
    Windows 8.0
    avg fps 13 to 20 sometimes dipping into single digit fps.

Computer / Laptop two
    Asus G74SX
    16GB SRAM
    Nvidia 560m
    Windows 7 64bit
    avg fps 13 to 20

18. RvLesh

Yes, for most people, removing the compatibility flags improves performance. Removing every single AppCompat entry will do nothing adverse -- anything Windows detects that NEEDS an entry will get a new one.

As far as YOUR performance goes, make sure the Win8 machine is *actually* using the nVidia drivers, and not the Microsoft drivers.

Unless the CPU speed is being dropped due to some power management options, I don't see how you're getting such low framerates. Try setting your power options to "Max Performance"?

19. DinaAngel

DinaAngel Space Hobo

Scanning System

Scanning checksums...
    Loading baseline.
    Comparing checksums.
    done.

Number of processors: 48
    Processor: Intel64 Family 7 Model 64 Stepping 2, GenuineIntel
    ProcessAffinityMask: 00000FFF
    SystemAffinityMask: 00000FFF

HsSrv.dll detected (Asus Xonar Drivers).
    There have been reports of this driver having compatibility issues with starbound.

Done.

hi, i started playing again now since december and i keep crashing now, never had this issue before
    i cant seem to find any of these listed ways to fix my issue,
    my ingame sound is different and i allways hear kinda dark music ingame and the giggle in the intro is really weird dark,
    and my game usually crashes once in awhile. iv tried most things but i just never had this issue back in december

20. RvLesh

There are several solutions listed in the first post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.