1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Someone feel like helping me with the translation of the Aragan language?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by RexBox, Feb 2, 2014.

1. RexBox

RexBox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey guys! I'm trying to translate the Aragan language and I'd love to have some help :). Is anyone bored? Sorry for the huge wall of text, but I copied it:

Human:

Avian:

Floran:

Apex:

Hylotl:

Glitch:

I think we should try to make a list of commonly named words first, and then try to see in what context they are used? Note how the translaters tried to "parse", so certain word are in English. Btw, to get extra support I also posted on reddit, the more people the more help right? http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/1wtpe8/whos_in_for_some_puzzling_aragan_language/

LastDay, ilis, Serenity and 1 other person like this.
  2. BushElito

BushElito Space Penguin Leader

Well, interestingly, when a creature attacked them, they said "you again!"
    Weird.

3. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Here's what I've been able to translate, from a Floran perspective:

Agaran says:
    Floran hears:
    I'm also pretty sure at least one of their phrases translates into Human as:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  4. Veran

Veran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

"hoom" and various other "hoom"-like noises could be translated as "hi" or "hello" (or another phrase used to greet others)

judging from the way they adress florans about "squishfish" (their term for hylotl) they share the florans (apparent) dislike for the hylotl, as further evidenced by the way they talk to hylotl characters. the translator gets "threaten" down correctly. (or maybe not?)
    (they might even eat hylotl and humans)

they seem to know about Kluex too, as evident in the avian dialogue. perhaps mocking the avian about his/hers inability to fly?

5. Athauxan

Athauxan Pangalactic Porcupine

Culturally, it's apparent the Agaran seem to have a relation with the Floran and the Hylotl. Their dialogue towards Hylotl appears generally unfavorable, either angry or fearful, while behavior towards Floran is quite favorable, likely due to their physiological similarities.
    After about 30-40 minutes of examining the language, I'll give a rough translation of what I think a few of the words mean:

Hoom = Hello
    Foom = Goodbye
    Hal- = implies enthusiasm or joyfulness, or just enhanced emotion.
    Nab = No.
    "Nab house, squishfish! Nab nab nab."
    "No house (Don't come in!), Hylotl! No no no!"

Clink = money/bartering
    Plesta = Please
    Smashroom = weapon/sword
    Clinker = One who deals in money = Trader
    Clinker House = Trader's house = Store
    Hab = Hurt?

Given context, what I think a few of the phrases likely mean:
    "Habahoom squishfish, nab oaken smashroom cantaloupe!"
    "Hello Hylotl, go away or I'll smash you like a cantaloupe!" Edit: more likely: Hello Hylotl, your body is soft like cantaloupe. (possibly some kind of insult)

"Hoom, squishfish. Nab smashroom habba clinker house. Okay?"
    "Hello, Hylotl. No weapons out (in the) store, Okay?

6. pop-yotheweird

pop-yotheweird Ketchup Robot

I would honestly love this to be deciphered. we could so use this.

7. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

A lot of their words seem to sound very similar to, and share roots with, English words. Of course, their sentance structure may be entirely different from our own.
    Here's my shot at a few:
    "Halhoom, hairthing. Nab smashroom, plesta."
    ~"Welcome, Apex. No attack, please."
    "Hoom, clankbeast. Habba nab cartography spaceshroom."
    ~"Hello, Glitch. [???] no cartography (Agaran?)."
    "Squishfish. Mesta nab tetrana chop clinker."
    ~"Hylotl. [Me/I] no [???] harm weapon."
    "Hoom! Nab chop Giant Hairthing. Weepa?"
    ~"Hello! No harm Big Ape. Sad?"
    "Halhoom! Nab feara deka plant!"
    ~"Welcome! No fear [the/you] Floran!"

LastDay and Serenity like this.
  8. RexBox

Alright guys, we're doing this quite nicely already :] Its nice to see people work together to achieve a common goal, even tough it's something as simple as a video game. A high 5 to all of you!

With the information you guys provided above(ty :D), I created a list of words that occur commonly (and I think are thusprobably important to know), if a word needs to be changed/added, please tell me!

Glitch = Clankbeast
    Apex = Hairthing
    Hylotl = Squishfish
    Floran = Kissface (plant)

Hoom = Hello
    Halhoom = Welcome [?]
    Nab = No/Not
    Feara = Fear
    Mesti = Me
    Smashroom = Weapon
    Cutshroom = Stabbing weapon [?]
    Deka = ?
    Plesta = Please
    Chop = ?
    Weepa = ?
    Clinker = Trader
    Clink = Bartering
    Habble/Habba = ?
    Halb = ?
    Foom = Goodbye

9. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

Ah, it seems a few of my guesses were quite a bit off. Your versions seem to make much more sense.

10. RexBox

Wait, "shopshroom" also exists, is it possible smashroom means gaurd/bandit instead of weapon?

11. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

There was a way to check if their language is a propper, might have to do some research on that later on, basicly saying that if the most used words in a language are creating a 45°Curve then its a language with propper context and information inside. As already said, gotta reread this and might gonna work that out for the shroom language after I passed my exams at university.

12. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

This is very interesting, and I fully support it, but I'm just going to add there's probably an 80% chance (<Completely made up statistic) that the developers decided to just use filler words like "hoom halhalhoom halmar shroom" around key words like "clankbeast" and the keywords you'll be able to decipher but a bunch of what they say is probably meaningless.

That being said, the Devs have impressed me so far with the inclusion of such things, so I wouldn't be too surprised if each phrase translated nicely into english.

Edit: I want to be clear, by no means is my post meant in discouragement! Nono, I entirely support it and would like to help if I find time. I'm just saying assigning meaning to the common used words might be a bad place to start because the more common usage of the word, the more likely it was just a random filler.

Edit2:
    I'd also like to add:
    Hello, Glitch. Don't have spaceship map.

Tetrana might be tetra fish?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
    MilkCalf and LastDay like this.
  13. Rune the Red Panda

Rune the Red Panda Existential Complex

I hope you guys figure out how to translate it all, it'll be cool to know what they are saying :)

14. demanrisu

demanrisu The Original Agaran Menace NPC

Nope, @Razey took pains to make sure it all translates :D

15. ThunderBeta

ThunderBeta Big Damn Hero

"Halhalhoom! Tentacrush weepa no meat."
    The Aragans are referring to the tentacle monster that destroyed earth, and are sad because there is less meat. They speak of frying humans in their dialogue, so one could infer they like eating humans.
    Also the Aragans seem to be fearful of the Apex, their technology, and Big Ape. (Just my opinion.)

LastDay likes this.
  16. sks0315

sks0315 Master Chief

WHAT? fry Kluex? How dare you!!!!!

LastDay likes this.
  17. Grimmturd

Grimmturd Cosmic Narwhal

LastDay likes this.
  18. Hoddmimir

Hoddmimir Cosmic Narwhal

I want to suggest that "nab cloudchaser" could mean Grounded in reference to Avians. And that "nab cartography spaceshroom" could mean "you're lost."

It is like any language. When you translate it literally it sounds a bit off and sometime even bizarre. Take one step back from the literal and it may make more sense.

RatixFarrence and Tamorr like this.
  19. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Human smoothness seems to be a running trend. Are we just naturally cuddle able to the rest of the galaxy?

Also, where do the agarans get their English words? It sounds too off to be anything like gobbietalk.(FFXI reference)

linkthegamer likes this.
  20. Tleno

Tleno Spaceman Spiff

Hoom, you know, could be a mere reference to noise LOTR ents make.