Race Meet the Phobe (or Geist) "The Halloween Race"

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Cruxifer, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Zaisher

Zaisher Scruffy Nerf-Herder

or THERE SOUL IS FILLED WITH THE SUFFERING OF ALL SENT TO ROT IN THE UNDERWORLD......AND THERE FACWE MELTS WHILE THERE SENT TO THE VOID....AND THERE FORCED TO WATCH WILD GRINDERS OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN BUAHAHAHAHAHA

2. CondescendedWow

CondescendedWow Supernova

*their, their and they're, they're.

3. Zaisher

you..do realise your on the internet?...right?

4. Cruxifer

Cruxifer Subatomic Cosmonaut

This also seems likely. Since it is a "neural" type interface or at least some form of interfacing technology, anything that isn't a Phobe might be met with a lethal response when the mask attempts to access their nervous system.
    Eerie as it might sound, perhaps even some unconfirmed, superstitious lore about them. If you so much as attempt to wear the mask of a "dead" Phobe, a mask that is not blank and holds the identity/characteristics of a Phobe, that Phobe could in effect "Possess" that person through the mask, acting as a neural overwrite.
    This however, could create confusion, but, it is a neat idea. Perhaps imagining an enemy, a masterful and villainous Phobe who just tricks people into becoming his/her new host after the mask burns out their physical forms. It would be my understanding, or at least implied, that the body that a Phobe is possessing would have its longevity greatly reduced.

There is a whole range of possibilities in this regard, some I will not touch upon at this time.

Or, that.

Now, now you two. None of that.

Sir Wilfrey and Alkanthe like this.
  5. Zaisher

how do you get the text purple like that? also WHAT IF the phobe racial ability was to temporarily posses another creature which would consume less energy on each level that way you could fight recklessly for a period of time with losing progress?

6. CondescendedWow

I was just harmlessly correcting his grammar...

7. Cruxifer

That is another thing I hadn't taken into consideration. The racial ability.
    I imagine it could be a plethora of different things from a "berserk" or "Feral" form, drawing from the nature of their mask and what I stated in their description that certain degrees of physical or psychological distress might do to them. Like a "were" form or "Dr. Jekyll" type situation.
    Perhaps something more along the lines of a percentage chance at avoiding otherwise fatal injury. Say something that would have killed them only takes them to one hit point instead. The effect could occur multiple times but should be set to a very small percentage that increases only slightly with each armor tier. Assuming racials end up tied to race armors and that each and every race tier armor has a "level" of racial ability on it.
    It could also be a sort of "temporal shift" where they shift into an alternate plane, becoming unseen but also being rendered unable to attack or interact with objects in this state, A state that should have an internal cool down somewhere along the lines of a 30 seconds to a minute based on when the effect was cancelled. I'm not sure about a duration.

I've always been quite mindful of not making the characters and character races "over powered" so it is difficult for me not to second guess myself when I design things such as this.

Alkanthe likes this.
  8. CondescendedWow

Ermahgerd! THAT COULD BE WHAT HAPPENS IF ANOTHER SPECIES WEARS THE MASK CAUSE IT COULD BE LIKE THEIR BODIES ARE ACTUALLY FAKES (Which gives them extra defense) AND THE MASKS CONTAIN THEIR SOULS OR LIVING ESSENCES AND WHEN A LIVING BEING WEARS IT THEY BECOME POSSESED UNTIL THEY SLOWLY DIE BUT IT HURTS THE SOUL TOO SO THEY CAN ONLY DO IT AFTER A WHILE OR ELSE IT'LL HURT THEM EVEN MORE.

9. CondescendedWow

I'm too good.

10. Cruxifer

I mean, as far as that goes, that aspect would be lore or NPC/Dungeon/Quest related. To me, it's not as important because the player will never personally experience the effect.

Alkanthe likes this.
  11. Zaisher

racial ability COUGH COGUH wait I did thar wrong...

12. CondescendedWow

You did a lot of things wrong in that sentence. But anyways, racial ability would definitely make more sense than it being a quest or dungeon related, good on ya Zaisher.

13. Cruxifer

Perhaps I should clarify, what I meant there was the ideas regarding what a mask does to another creature if worn should not be a racial ability, rather, this effect would only make sense in a situation disconnected from the player character's situation.
    I wasn't condemning the idea as much as I was stating that it doesn't seem likely that it could or would ever be a racial. The mechanics behind that idea seems far too complicated for player applications and would be better left to lore, quest, and enemy type situations where it does not directly effect the player character and does not require the addition of over complicated new mechanics to accommodate it.

That is to say, I am trying to make a player race that conforms to the game as it is, not the opposite. To so much as consider that my race or any other for that matter should warrant enough attention as to prompt a complete re-engineering of Starbound's code would be hubris of a higher caliber. I would never ask for or suggest something that is not already possible.

Though, I am certain that at least one of your replies was satirical, and meant to be received as comedy. You will find that I have a rather dry sense of humor. So I apologize if at first I do not quite react to what is meant to be "funny".

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    Alkanthe likes this.
  14. CondescendedWow

One of my replies? or his. If me, then yes I'm usually joking about stuff. And we were more or less stating that it'd make sense. And I'm not sure how it would be hard to add an extra key binding to the character holding out his mask and killing the closest creature in front of him.

15. Zaisher

o
    k so maybe possession was abit complex I guess sooo why not make the ability.... phasing through walls? I ran out of id- SUMMONING PUPPET MINIONS YES GOOD IDEA wait how does that relate at all?

16. Cruxifer

That brings out in interesting concept. Nan-o-Wisps or Rob-o-Lanterns as a racial combat/pseudo-combat pet(s). A pair of persistent or temporary pets that seek out targets and either explode, attack, or maybe just a mobile light source. Like a persistent cursor guided torch, something that hovers above or around the character when not in use but can be directed by the mouse cursor to within a certain proximity of the player character on the screen.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    Alkanthe likes this.
  17. CondescendedWow

Or you could send it on missions to find ores, bits or just to scout the area and that would give you a blurry mini-map to tell you what's going on, on this planet.

18. Cruxifer

The idea revolving around sending them on side missions to collect ore seems more like a good separate suggestion. Like having a crew that you could not only recruit on your own but also send them away on mission to different sectors and planets based on their skills, etc.
    The second one, I like. In addition to acting as a cursor controlled light source, have it able to be sent into caves and map them out remotely like a probe. Even then though, something like a planet thumper, something that strikes the planet and picks up the sonar readings as map, structure, and ore data would render that largely obsolete.. Desert planets with a lot of fine sand need not apply.

19. CondescendedWow

Yea, like an imperial drone used on hoth. Low health, quick and scans the area for a reading of the surface.

Cruxifer likes this.
  20. Lecic

Lecic Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Will they only gain hunger from foods containing sugar? Newer players might starve often if so, as alien meat probably has very little sugar in it, and they don't know how to farm yet.