1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Dye Mod 2.1 (Enraged Koala)

Change the color of almost anything! (Previously Dyeing Bucket)

1. BeakieHelmet

BeakieHelmet Void-Bound Voyager

Is there any way you could make it so the dyes effect the primary color (red) of the tier 1 and tier 2 avian armors rather than the secondary colors (iron/steel)?

I have a red feathered avian and everything looks awful when the armor's mostly red too, and it makes sense that the dye should effect the painted part rather than the metal.

2. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

That would be good to hear. It'll save me the hassle of including these kinds of files in a possible "addon mod" for Dyeing Bucket.
    Well, since Starbound's dyeing system seems to follow the red-yellow-blue color wheel scheme, I'll base my suggestions for new dyes on it, starting with the primary colors of red, yellow, and blue. Next are the secondary colors of orange, green, and purple (or violet), which are each created from mixing two of the primary colors together in equal quantity. There are also 6 different tertiary colors, which are created by mixing a primary color with a "neighboring" secondary color (such as blue and green) in equal quantities, that I'm aware of: blue-green (or cyan or teal), yellow-green (or lime green), yellow-orange, red-orange, red-violet (or magenta or fuchsia), and blue-violet. There's also black, which is supposedly created by mixing all 3 primary colors together in equal quantity, and white, which represents the complete absence of color. Mixing both black and white together in equal quantities would create grey.

So far, I've listed 15 different colors to add as palette options for objects and items alike. I haven't even gotten to what happens when you mix black, white, or grey with any of the primary, secondary, or tertiary colors, but these 15 colors, in my opinion, should be given top-priority for implementation, if they aren't already in-game. When mixing black, white, or grey with any of the primary, secondary, or tertiary colors, that's an additional 36 color combinations, which include such colors as brown (orange + black) and pink (red + white). Finally, mixing black or white with grey would produce 2 more shades of grey (one darker, and the other lighter), and while I feel that these 53 color schemes should cover my personal color-mixing tastes, you're welcome to add mixtures of any of the primary, secondary, or tertiary colors with light or dark grey for another 24 color palettes (making for a whopping total of 77 colors).

If this all seems too difficult to translate into a red-green-blue color scheme, then perhaps it would be easier to translate into a hue-saturation-value instead? Here's a few examples:
    • Red: Hue - 0 or 360, Saturation - 100, Value - 100
    • Orange: Hue - 30, Saturation - 100, Value - 100
    • Yellow: Hue - 60, Saturation - 100, Value - 100
    • Green: Hue - 120, Saturation - 100, Value - 100
    • Blue: Hue - 240, Saturation - 100, Value - 100
    • Violet: Hue - 300, Saturation - 100, Value - 100
    • Black: Hue - any, Saturation - any, Value - 0
    • White: Hue - any, Saturation - 0, Value - 100
    • Grey: Hue - any, Saturation - 0, Value - 50
    • Red-Orange: Hue - 15, Saturation -100, Value - 100
    • Yellow-Orange: Hue - 45, Saturation -100, Value - 100
    • Yellow-Green: Hue - 90, Saturation -100, Value - 100
    • Blue-Green: Hue - 180, Saturation -100, Value - 100
    • Blue-Violet: Hue - 270, Saturation -100, Value - 100
    • Red-Violet: Hue - 330, Saturation -100, Value - 100
    • Light Grey: Hue - any, Saturation - 0, Value - 75
    • Dark Grey: Hue - any, Saturation - 0, Value - 25
    • Brown (Orange + Black): Hue - 30, Saturation -100, Value - 50
    • Pink (Red + White): Hue - 0, Saturation - 50, Value - 100
    • Maroon (Red + Black): Hue - 0, Saturation - 100, Value - 50
    • Sky Blue (Blue + White): Hue - 240, Saturation - 50, Value - 100
    • Blue Steel (Blue + Grey): Hue - 240, Saturation - 75, Value - 75
    • Copper (Orange + Grey): Hue - 30, Saturation - 75, Value - 75
    • Hot Pink (Red-Violet + White): Hue - 330, Saturation - 50, Value - 100
    • Peach (Orange + White): Hue - 30, Saturation - 50, Value - 100
    Edit: On second thought, maybe the Dyeing Bucket mod itself should focus on covering all of the game objects' and items' color schemes (which are red, yellow, blue, green, orange, violet, black, white, grey, pink, and brown), while the extra dyeing options should be reserved for an "expansion mod" that would also add in new colors for items and objects to support the additional dyeing options.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  3. MrMagical

MrMagical Subatomic Cosmonaut

Placeable objects
    I don't think I can add more colors for placeable objects because they are coded to correspond to the colors of the paint tool.

Other items
    Adding an extra color for the other items is a process that is fairly automated once there's a good color palette.
    There's just one little problem and that is the extreme amount of recipe files needed.

There are around 840 items which support all colors of the mod and every dye+item combination needs its own recipe (thanks Chucklefish).
    Just the 15 high priority colors + brown from the unmodded game + a reset dye means 17 different recipe files per item for a total of over 14 000 recipe files.
    The game still seems to handle it fine, but I'm worried about hitting a limit eventually.

Having 77 colors + reset would mean almost 66 000 recipe files. Not happening with the current system.

I would limit the amount of colors to maybe 24 with the current system so they would need to be chosen better.

Is there a solution?
    The game supports lua scripting. A small script file could be used instead of thousands of recipe files.
    However, the game does not support scripting with furnace type interfaces like the one I use for the bucket.

I could use scripts to display an interface like the one you see on a crafting table. It could be tailored to only show dyed variants of the item you are holding.
    The problem is that I have no control over which item stack it will dye if you have multiple of something in your inventory.

Chucklefish have made a crafting system that is very clunky if all you want to do is change the properties of something. The fact that this mod exists at all is somewhat of a miracle.
    I'm continuing to look for solutions, but it's not looking bright.

4. MrMagical

MrMagical updated Dyeing Bucket (multiplayer friendly) with a new update entry:

1.6 - The Love of Violet

Read the rest of this update entry...

5. Andrej363

Andrej363 Phantasmal Quasar

like this youre the best

6. Camo5

Camo5 Void-Bound Voyager

I have encountered another not working mod, and I'm going to take a stab and say I need to do something called unpacking my pak file.

I'm running windows 8 and require step by step instructions, because I don't know anything about stuff other than dragging and dropping folders.

7. Mood

Mood Big Damn Hero

Thanks for your great work, this mod is truly bringing new flavours to my character.

8. Izeck

Izeck Star Wrangler

I'm sorry if this has be answered before, but I haven't seen it.

I'm trying to dye the Kat Hood (assets\items\armors\decorative\hats\kathood), but the color only affects the ears. Any way to reverse this so that the dye affects the hood instead of the ears?
    [​IMG]

9. HugoLuman

HugoLuman Void-Bound Voyager

Why the removal of the beige (bone) dye?

10. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

11. MrMagical

It's how Chucklefish set up the item. I can go in and override things, but what if someone just wants to change the ears? Ideally you would be able to dye both parts of the item independently, but I'm not sure what a good way of accomplishing that would be. Ideas are welcome.

It was never official. The palette was just copied from the alien skull hat and included for testing. If there's a demand for it, I can bring it back or include more odd colors.
    Make requests! Post a picture or some hexadecimal color codes! Just keep in mind that new palettes are expensive when it comes to file size so I'm limiting the total to 24.
    I like to prioritize colors that can be seen on at least one item, object or creature in Starbound.

In traditional painting, both violet and purple are considered to lie between red and blue, with violet being closer to blue. It doesn't matter if it's fully correct as long as people understand it and I don't have to move the default colors too much.
    The pink color comes from the vanilla game, is called pink there and seems to lie between red and purple if you look at it. It will continue to be called pink because of compatibility, but I changed how it is made to reflect its appearance.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  12. Izeck

Izeck Star Wrangler

Fair enough. Can you post here (Or send me a PM) on how to do that so I can do the changes myself?

13. MrMagical

Furnace Test Mod. Download and install it. It has two files and makes a normal furnace turn the hood of the kat hood red while keeping the ears yellow.
    If you open kathoodhead.recipe in a text editor (not a word processor) you'll see a line where it says "directives" and then a long code:
    • First it says ?replace;; which means that it will perform color replacement.
    • After that there are 4 color pairs followed by ;; which affect the color of the ears (set to yellow).
    • Lastly there are 3 color pars which affect the hood itself (set to red).
    The colors are in a hexadecimal color format and go from light to dark for each part. All you have to do is change the latter part of each color pair (after the = sign) to the right color.

And these are the replacement colors I use for each dye, in the right order:
    Code:
    black  838383;555555;383838;151515
    grey   b5b5b5;808080;555555;303030
    white  e6e6e6;b6b6b6;7b7b7b;373737

red    f4988c;d93a3a;932625;601119
    orange ffd495;ea9931;af4e00;6e2900
    yellow ffffa7;e2c344;a46e06;642f00
    lime   d1e160;9bba3d;48832f;1b4c2a
    green  b2e89d;51bd3b;247824;144216
    teal   a8e6e2;4facb2;30636c;233c43
    blue   96cbe7;5588d4;344495;1a1c51
    violet af91fb;7863da;3d3ca2;1c226a
    purple d29ce7;a451c4;6a2284;320c40
    pink   eab3db;d35eae;97276d;59163f

brown  ccae7c;a47844;754c23;472b13
    For the ear part, use all 4 colors. For the hood part, use the 3 last colors for best effect.
    Sorry about the wall of text, but you did tell me to explain how to do it yourself.

14. Izeck

Izeck Star Wrangler

Thanks. I will get to work on this. I know very little about all this, but I'm willing and able to learn it. I will post here when I get it working. Thanks again =]

15. Vegetable Lamb

Vegetable Lamb Existential Complex

Getting a few errors in the log:

Error: Could not instantiate item '[minerchest, 1, {"directives":"?replace;ffca8a=e5e3c6;e0975c=bfb294;a85636=867c62;6f2919=5e5946"}]'. VariantException: Improper conversion to double from string in get("amount")

Error: Could not instantiate item '[minerchest, 1, {"colorIndex":7}]'. VariantException: Improper conversion to double from string in get("amount")

16. Vegetable Lamb

Also:

Error: Could not load /items/armors/backitems/slimcape/slimcapebackicon.png asset, attempting to use default.
    AssetException: No such asset '/items/armors/backitems/slimcape/slimcapebackicon.png'

17. MrMagical

To me it seems like you are using an older version. Try downloading a fresh copy.

18. Vegetable Lamb

Yep, that fixed it.

19. MrMagical

Here's a little peek at what I've been working on:

[​IMG]

It automatically generates a dyeing interface specific to the item you are holding, complete with categories and easy previews.
    Since it uses a tiny little script rather than thousands of recipe files, it's fairly easy to add more colors as you can see.

There are some issues, though:
    • I have no control over what item stack it chooses to dye if you have multiple of the same item in your inventory.
    • There's going to be a lot of dye bottles unless I either require multiple bottles for some recipes or ignore part of a color.

What do you think?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    Crisium, StarScribe and tonidouz like this.
  20. naithaan

naithaan Zero Gravity Genie

awesome mod keep up the great work