MOD-TUTORIAL 1: How to make your own tool (OUTDATED)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Ghoul159, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paladian

paladian Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I read this tutorial, and i create my own drill, mercy to you. The avantage with the recent patch, and it not necessary to repack any file in the packed.pak file, and that is really good, and also, this is functional on mulitplayer.

Ghoul159 likes this.
  2. CarlF3

CarlF3 Space Hobo

you should make a new post about all the changes in coding for the different tutorials. I followed the instructions on this post and changed the version, I even downloaded a working mod to make sure I spelled it correctly, yet my game crashes every time upon loading it. Could just be my computer though. Also how long can the sound files be? Can they only be the ones pre set for the pickaxes or other tool?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  3. Ghoul159

Ghoul159 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If i get some spare time maybe. ;) In the starbound.log in the main stabound folder there should be an error message. I don't know how long they can be sry. No you can use custom ones.

4. CarlF3

CarlF3 Space Hobo

well I figured out what I was doing wrong. I forgot to put the quotation mark " in the player.config file in the line { "item" : OverPoweredPick } it finally works now :D also the highest number that you can use for the block radius (For pick and drill) is 7. Any bigger will make the internal server crash and the game will kick you. you can use 8 but if you try to dig an are that is 8 by 7 blocks it will crash (8 by 6 is still ok)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  5. paladian

paladian Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I confirm, but with a radius of 5 blocks, its functional nice. After if you want destroy quickly any block you just need up the power of destroying blocks.

Ghoul159 likes this.
  6. TheGuillotine

TheGuillotine And Do the MONKEY!

In game it show that the name is "Stone PIckaxe"

Is there something I can do to fix that?

7. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

The short Description -line is what defines the name of the any object in game.
    You can change this name to anything you want and have no issues

Ghoul159 likes this.
  8. TheGuillotine

TheGuillotine And Do the MONKEY!

Thanks.

9. dawgboy1976

dawgboy1976 Intergalactic Tourist

I can't get my tool to show up in the crafting menu. I followed all of his steps exactly and mine looks just like his (although with the properly changed information so that it's not just a stone pickaxe) the only part of it that I did not fully understand was the player.config thing. Could you post a picture of each of the finished files? Like a picture of the finished .miningtool a picture of the finished player.config, etc. thanks

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  10. Mylos

Mylos Scruffy Nerf-Herder

-Edited-

Okay got back on track with some outside help.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  11. snivy10

snivy10 Orbital Explorer

Could you make a tutorial for ores and spawning them in to the terain? Thanks.

12. Combusting Avians

Combusting Avians Intergalactic Tourist

Its not showing up in the crafting menu?

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  13. Combusting Avians

Ok, so the modinfo and config files didnt work for some reason. I put .config and .modinfo at the end though..
    So I downloaded the MyNewTools mod you made and now it works fine

14. 3DIron

3DIron Space Spelunker

Can you make a tutorial on making custom swords?

15. Blastburn745

Blastburn745 Void-Bound Voyager

ive done everything correctly and my pick is usable and craftable ingame but it has a big white box around the pick axe i dont know how to remove it so if anyone can help thnx

16. Blastburn745

Blastburn745 Void-Bound Voyager

the box is in the png too
    but idk how to get rid of it

17. Combusting Avians

You used Paint
    Don't use Paint
    Use Gimp. Paint doesn't support transparency

18. DASMANgaming

DASMANgaming Space Hobo

I get an error when i boot the game up??? It loads and then (the picture) and after that is a runtime error

Attached Files:

19. Disco2

Disco2 Existential Complex

Great idea for a tutorial, thank you kind sir.

20. JackWick

JackWick Void-Bound Voyager

I used your brilliantly made tutorial and made a mod, and I took it a step too far, and added a new ore before I knew almost anything about modding. I'm fairly sure it worked, although I had forgotten to add the new items and tiles to the player.config file. An item is set as item, so whats a tile, or ore?

After close examination of other files, I realized that they are all "item". Thanks for the tutorial :)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.