Outdated

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by The | Suit, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

NOTICE -- MOVING TO
    http://starbounder.org/Modding:Modding_Basics

Sorry for the inconvenience - I feel this will allow much more up to date information at a more timely manner.

The Book is found at http://starbounder.org/Guide:MEB
    CURRENT VERSION OF BOOK
    0.7 [Updated Feburary 5 2014]

INTRO
    Its taken quite a bit of time around 60 hours to just get the first basic rough draft done. But its finally contains just enough content to push out. Keep in mind this is no where near complete but does provide the basic standing stone information to get you started on on modding.

VERSION OF BOOK IS FOR
    v. FURIOUS KOALA [ This Book Is Currently Outdated - Though Majority of it remains valid ]

WHAT THIS EBOOK CURRENTLY CONTAINS
    • Links to Free Tools required for you to start modding
    • Starting tutorial for How to Unpack and Repack Assets
    • How to Modify vanilla files and create a quick mod out of it
    • Tutorial for how to set-up GIMP and create your own assets
    • How to create your own custom object and bring it into the game
    • Detailed Merge Functionality

Current Reference Section
    • Merge // Modinfo // Objects
    • Ore Generation // Quests // Codex
    • Status Effects // Frames
    • JSON errors Runtime Errors

CURRENTLY WORKING ON
    • Tools
    • Adding new Armour

ERROR REPORTING
    If you find any errors please feel free to post them in thread. If any information on basic methodology is wrong please feel free to share to corrections.

WANT TO CONTRIBUTE?
    PM Me if you want to get your tutorial and credit into the book.

OTHER NOTES
    Note this book will never be behind a paylink - charged for - any other sort of schemes. If you do find such a link please inform me. As of now only available link will be on this site.

Sample Batch File uploaded as Attachment. Extract. Right click click on it and do open with notepad++. You can change the directories listed as explained in the ebook.

DOWNLOAD LINK
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/dg2fr2zofq4t0td/Starbound+Ebook+v.07.pdf

Also Feel free to comment - if you don't like something. You like something. You want to see something. Etc.

Current Bugs [Any Mistakes in Current Version Noted Here]

Page 17 - merge command has a typo should be
    Code:
    {
    "__merge" : [
        [ "overwrite", "input" ]
        ],
        "input" :  [
            { "item" : "money", "count" : 1 }
      ]
    }
    Opening bracket for merge was missing.

Page 18 - Pixel for image size 8, 16, 24, 32, 40, 48, 56, 64, etc.

Current Version of book is not using standard UTF-8 Code. Do not copy code directly from book. Manually type it or you will get an error.

A Quick and Easy Unpacker for Windows by ChrisGBK
    http://community.playstarbound.com/...sset-packaging-unpackaging-gui-frontend.1334/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  2. The | Suit

3. Game³oid

Game³oid Big Damn Hero

I neeeeeeed!

4. The | Suit

Link added

Game³oid likes this.
  5. AnarchistTheory

AnarchistTheory Master Chief

You sir are a wonderful person.

6. lordelliott

lordelliott Void-Bound Voyager

Sorry for being a noob, but I can't find the SBuserID# anywhere. Where is it supposed to be on the profile page... Wait, did you mean the number at the end of the URL?

Edit: I really need to remember to check the next page. :wut:

7. The | Suit

Ya
    yours would be
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?members/lordelliott.306217/

This is just a naming methodology, I think is the easiest. Since everyone takes the same numbers from the same pool. There is no chance of overlap.
    But if people choose numbers at random even though minute there is still a smidgen of a chance of overlap.

Next version should be coming up in a few hours. Still hammering it out.

AnarchistTheory likes this.
  8. lordelliott

Error:
    Page 15 - FOURIOUS Koala {The extra "O" in Furious}

-----

Thanks. Yeah, that's definitely the best way to choose numbers. I was thinking of doing something random. I just TODAY started making my own mod. Modding a mod actually, lol. I didn't quite like Axe Upgrades, so changed it's values then added a chainsaw and a diamond chainsaw (diamond chain). I found the chainsaw sounds in the assets and was looking for a way to add my own sound, which led me to your tutorial. I just make a .wav and throw in some folders to mirror the assets file tree?

Anyway, since you're going to update soon, I won't point out any more errors. Probably knew about the above one anyway.

9. The | Suit

If you want to add your own sound - keep it in the sounds folder similar to where it is in the assets.
    So in your mods folder you would create a /sfx/tools/diamondchainswa.wav basically

10. The | Suit

Version 0.6 Uploaded
    Added new Tutorial for Basic Vanillia mod file editing
    Added new references to Status Effects and Ore Generation files.

AnarchistTheory likes this.
  11. lordelliott

12. The | Suit

Fixed, was some annoying forum bug - thx for heads up

13. intervencion

intervencion Existential Complex

oh my godness...

Guy, this is awesome!

14. lordelliott

Errors:
    Page 15 - "going to employee the basics" (Spelling)
    Page 15 - "You will also *note/see* I added one" (Missing word)
    Page 15 - Second code example:

{
    “__merge” : [
    [ “Overwrite”, “maxhealth” ],
    [ “Overwrite”, “maxenergy” ]​
    ],​

“defaultBlueprints” : {
    “__merge” : [
    [ “Overwrite” , “TIER2”]​
    ],​

“tier1” : [
    { “item” : “sdish” }​
    ],

“tier2” : [
    { “item” : “woodenbed” }​
    ]
    }
    “maxhealth” : 500,
    “maxenergy” : 500​
    }

The bracket in red was missing. Also, looking at it, I found the indentation confusing and couldn't see how the code was tiered, so I threw it into Notepad++ and came up with the above layout. I think it's a lot clearer arranged that way, and I can now see where those commas should and shouldn't be.

Couple questions: Why isn't Overwrite written as "Overwrite" : "maxhealth" like all the other things. Second, does the second "__merge" have to be nested within the rest of the code? Could we just open a new set of first level {} at the end for it?

15. The | Suit

:p it was because of the spellcheck of the program. it doesn't like things not being capital.
    ideally everything should be lower case, less chance of conflict.

Will look to better methods of fixing the indentation
    As for your question - nope it has to be nested or you will get an error says 2 merges are there

As for the corrections - thanks will fix it by next version

Code:
    caused by: JsonParsingException: Json object contains a duplicate entry for key '__merge'

16. lordelliott

Ah, I see. Thanks. I thought maybe they had to be capitalized like that :oops:, though I'm aware most modern code is all lowercase. :D Spellcheck can be so annoying. I suppose that's part of whatever program you're using to make the ebook?

-----

Error:
    Page 17 - "[Starbound]/mods/bandagemod/recipe/" is not the location of bandage.recipe. It's in "recipes\starter\plain".

17. xboy777

xboy777 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

After following the steps all the way to the references page I attempted to run the game to check and see if my item was in-game and I got these errors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I check my Starbound log right after these errors I get this long report:

Code:
    Info: Preparing Star::Root...
    Info: Creating default Star::Configuration
    Info: Done preparing Star::Root.
    Info: Client version 'Beta v. Furious Koala' '636'
    Info: Running from : C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32\starbound.exe
    Info: Starting from the title screen
    Info: Initialized SDL
    Info: Writing Star::Configuration to '..\starbound.config'
    Info: Initialized SDL Video
    Info: Initialized SDL Joystick
    Info: Initialized SDL Sound
    Info: Opened default audio device with 44khz / 16 bit stereo audio, 2048 sample size buffer
    Info: Loading Star::Root...
    Info: Loading Star::Configuration from '..\starbound.config'
    Info: Initializing SDL Window
    Info: Created initial window 1000x600
    Info: Re-created window 1600x838
    Info: Re-created window 1000x600
    Warn: Missing inventoryIcon for chestplant1, using default
    Warn: Missing inventoryIcon for barvent, using default
    Warn: Missing inventoryIcon for wreckvent, using default
    Info: Done loading Star::Root.
    Info: Writing Star::Configuration to '..\starbound.config'
    Info: Creating player storage directory
    Warn: Perf: StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop millis: 1883
    Info: Application quitting!
    Info: [ [ "StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop", "Cnt#: ", 13808, "Sum(ms)", 493532, "Avg", 35, "SAvg", 14, "Min", 10, "Max", 1883, "Last", 10, "Var(avg,us)", 22351.9, "VMax(ms)", 1868, "Parent", "" ], [ "StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop.graphicsSwapBuffers", "Cnt#: ", 13809, "Sum(ms)", 278768, "Avg", 20, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 323, "Last", 20, "Var(avg,us)", 19120.6, "VMax(ms)", 323, "Parent", "" ], [ "StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop.sleeping", "Cnt#: ", 18025, "Sum(ms)", 121798, "Avg", 6, "SAvg", 1, "Min", 1, "Max", 35, "Last", 10, "Var(avg,us)", 5757.17, "VMax(ms)", 34, "Parent", "" ], [ "StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop.preSleeping", "Cnt#: ", 11433, "Sum(ms)", 114423, "Avg", 10, "SAvg", 1, "Min", 1, "Max", 35, "Last", 10, "Var(avg,us)", 7829.44, "VMax(ms)", 29, "Parent", "" ], [ "Assets::loadVariant", "Cnt#: ", 9852, "Sum(ms)", 107699, "Avg", 10, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 671, "Last", 1, "Var(avg,us)", 10606.9, "VMax(ms)", 671, "Parent", "" ], [ "Assets::loadImage", "Cnt#: ", 5656, "Sum(ms)", 96663, "Avg", 17, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 573, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 16055.5, "VMax(ms)", 571, "Parent", "" ], [ "Assets::loadBaseImage", "Cnt#: ", 5454, "Sum(ms)", 96005, "Avg", 17, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 573, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 16531.5, "VMax(ms)", 571, "Parent", "" ], [ "StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop.render", "Cnt#: ", 13810, "Sum(ms)", 88223, "Avg", 6, "SAvg", 1, "Min", 0, "Max", 1430, "Last", 2, "Var(avg,us)", 6679.87, "VMax(ms)", 1430, "Parent", "" ], [ "ClientApplication::render", "Cnt#: ", 13810, "Sum(ms)", 88206, "Avg", 6, "SAvg", 1, "Min", 0, "Max", 1430, "Last", 2, "Var(avg,us)", 6678.64, "VMax(ms)", 1430, "Parent", "" ], [ "StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop.postSleeping", "Cnt#: ", 6592, "Sum(ms)", 7378, "Avg", 1, "SAvg", 1, "Min", 1, "Max", 12, "Last", 1, "Var(avg,us)", 119.235, "VMax(ms)", 11, "Parent", "" ], [ "StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop.SDL_PollEvent", "Cnt#: ", 29216, "Sum(ms)", 1547, "Avg", 0, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 1104, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 196.57, "VMax(ms)", 1104, "Parent", "" ], [ "StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop.renderPost", "Cnt#: ", 13806, "Sum(ms)", 1491, "Avg", 0, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 137, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 781.979, "VMax(ms)", 137, "Parent", "" ], [ "ClientApplication::renderInit", "Cnt#: ", 4, "Sum(ms)", 1144, "Avg", 286, "SAvg", 999, "Min", 29, "Max", 1011, "Last", 29, "Var(avg,us)", 722000, "VMax(ms)", 974, "Parent", "" ], [ "StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop.update", "Cnt#: ", 29217, "Sum(ms)", 1078, "Avg", 0, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 452, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 36.8963, "VMax(ms)", 452, "Parent", "" ], [ "ClientApplication::update", "Cnt#: ", 29217, "Sum(ms)", 1063, "Avg", 0, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 452, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 36.3829, "VMax(ms)", 452, "Parent", "" ], [ "ClientApplication::updateTitle", "Cnt#: ", 24009, "Sum(ms)", 589, "Avg", 0, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 197, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 828.231, "VMax(ms)", 197, "Parent", "" ], [ "Cinematic::render", "Cnt#: ", 13808, "Sum(ms)", 336, "Avg", 0, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 169, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 1049.1, "VMax(ms)", 169, "Parent", "" ], [ "Assets::loadAudio", "Cnt#: ", 6, "Sum(ms)", 255, "Avg", 42, "SAvg", 46, "Min", 0, "Max", 195, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 54833.3, "VMax(ms)", 145, "Parent", "" ], [ "Assets::loadFont", "Cnt#: ", 1, "Sum(ms)", 192, "Avg", 192, "SAvg", 192, "Min", 192, "Max", 192, "Last", 192, "Var(avg,us)", 0, "VMax(ms)", 0, "Parent", "" ], [ "StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop.graphicsClear", "Cnt#: ", 13807, "Sum(ms)", 80, "Avg", 0, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 1, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 5.79416, "VMax(ms)", 1, "Parent", "" ], [ "StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop.graphicsStart", "Cnt#: ", 13808, "Sum(ms)", 31, "Avg", 0, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 1, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 2.24508, "VMax(ms)", 1, "Parent", "" ], [ "Assets::postProcessAudio", "Cnt#: ", 2, "Sum(ms)", 15, "Avg", 7, "SAvg", 14, "Min", 0, "Max", 15, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 7500, "VMax(ms)", 15, "Parent", "" ], [ "StarApplicationBase::run.innerLoop.graphicsFinish", "Cnt#: ", 13810, "Sum(ms)", 13, "Avg", 0, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 1, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 0.941347, "VMax(ms)", 1, "Parent", "" ], [ "ClientApplication::processInput", "Cnt#: ", 151, "Sum(ms)", 10, "Avg", 0, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 10, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 66.2252, "VMax(ms)", 10, "Parent", "" ], [ "ClientApplication::renderDestroy", "Cnt#: ", 4, "Sum(ms)", 9, "Avg", 2, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 9, "Last", 9, "Var(avg,us)", 2250, "VMax(ms)", 9, "Parent", "" ], [ "ClientApplication::updateSplash", "Cnt#: ", 5208, "Sum(ms)", 6, "Avg", 0, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 1, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 1.15207, "VMax(ms)", 1, "Parent", "" ], [ "Cinematic::update", "Cnt#: ", 29216, "Sum(ms)", 3, "Avg", 0, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 1, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 0.102683, "VMax(ms)", 1, "Parent", "" ], [ "Audio::parseWav", "Cnt#: ", 4, "Sum(ms)", 0, "Avg", 0, "SAvg", 0, "Min", 0, "Max", 0, "Last", 0, "Var(avg,us)", 0, "VMax(ms)", 0, "Parent", "" ] ]
    Info: Shutting down Star::Root

This was the results of following the steps from version 0.5 of the E-Book (unless I made a mistake along the way which is very likely). Any idea what could be going wrong?

18. The | Suit

That error log seems a bit paculiar doesn't really mention the error
    can you send me the file you made - i will take a look at it.

Package the entire thing and add it as an attachment

But according to the error it says you used a utf 32 character.
    Code:
    Did you use some sort of non english keyboard character?
    A letter or symbol with an accent something along those lines
    The game only supports very basic english characters.
    So no fancy accents or special characters allowed.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  19. NinjaBoffin

NinjaBoffin Big Damn Hero

You beautiful Beautiful man!

20. EXCELLENT WORK. If you want any commissions for basic Lua tutorials, let me know.

intervencion likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.