1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated BetterMerchants 0.09a (Enraged Koala)

Improving your shopping experience, one shop at a time.

1. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Mackinz submitted a new mod:

BetterMerchants - Improving your shopping experience, one step at a time.

Read more about this mod...

2. kittentamer

kittentamer Existential Complex

I'm posting that I've downloaded it and will now be eagerly spawning ALL THE THINGS! *crazy eyes* (I'm in one of those dizty goofy giddy moods.) Bwahahahaha!
    (I'll let you know if I see anything wonky.) =)

<edit> I'm not going to have time to test everything out before I have to head out (I'll do more tonight), but first thing I noticed: 1 bomb for 200 pixels is highway robbery. The frog merchant sells 15 for 150 pixels. The other prices seem alright so far. I don't remember the stim prices right this second...but yeah! I'm enjoying playing with this! ^^

<second edit> The floran hunter...the prices seem really cheap. Especially for leather. I'd think you should make the meats at least as expensive as the fruits and vegetables the merchants normally sell. Maybe even mark up the prices to ouch levels for the rare things like leather and raw fish. Merchants normally have a scale of supply vs demand. =)

The food recipes prices being so expensive is a good thing. It encourages people to explore to try to find them/earn the money for them.

The guy who sells dirt and ore? The dirt prices are cool. The ore prices? I think too cheap. When you can make things like wall blocks later on, they are 50 pix/piece. Maybe set copper at the 50 pix rate and mark up from there. Platinum for 81 pix...it is a bit more then you'd get refining it, but...I'd think mark the prices at least double what you'd get at the refinery. So at least 100 pix for platinum? Just ideas.

I think you have the blueprint prices right all around. The chefs and soux chefs are done right. I'm not sure on the various ores and rare block prices, but that might be just me being too worried about balance.

The only one I'm not sure is working right: The pirate walks around, but you can't interact with her. She doesn't talk or sell anything.

Guess I did have time to mess around after all! Off to town and I hope my feedback helps. I'm in love with this mod. =)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    Mackinz likes this.
  3. Mackinz

Not my fault. Those spawners are ones balanced by Chucklefish, I just added the crafting recipes. I'll get around to editing them later.

Also, the Frog Merchant is like a Crafting Table. He can use special recipes like x amount of pixels for non-one amount of items.

Nah. In my opinion, Leather is far too rare as is, so I am not opposed to a low price.

As for the meats, I'd like to keep them cheap, but I may have kept them too low. Can't remember. I'll look when I get home.

All ores that are sold, with the exception of Titanium, etc., are sold, at base, for twice their refinery value. There is a degree of randomness (varies between 0.8 and 1.2 of base price) which is why you encountered such prices. Also, copper isn't that valuable so I'm not sure why it would be expensive?

As a standard, all blocks are sold for cheap to encourage buying and building. Rare ores are sold for decent enough prices, IMO.

I did not change anything about the Pirate other than the recipe for its spawner. It's likely like that normally.

4. kittentamer

I was just typing as I noticed things. In retrospect, most of the prices were okay. Like I said, I just had a fit of balance vs availability. I suppose until the refinery, it is hard to hold onto your pixels, so the prices early on would be more difficult. I did a grand race for Imperium run the other day, so I've already gotten back there and when you have tons of diamonds to refine the prices are so cheap!

Anyway, no I can get to making a village for them all. =)

5. Mackinz

Mackinz updated BetterMerchants with a new update entry:

The Black Market Hammerspace Crates Update

Read the rest of this update entry...

6. Mackinz

7. seancruz

seancruz Big Damn Hero

really awesome mod, definitely gives more depth to merchants. I see that some of the merchants sell blueprints. Could you share how you got that to work? I myself am trying to figure out how to make blueprints for my mod, and have had no success.

8. Mackinz

It's simple. All blueprints are referred to in the code as <item>-recipe (replace <item> with the item name). If an item has a recipe file, it will create a blueprint item when told to (items that lack recipe file will result in a Perfectly Generic Item).

To make a recipe file... Well just open a recipe file and read it.

kittentamer likes this.
  9. kittentamer

I'd been wondering that myself. I tried finding the blueprint item in the assets, I guess that explains why I didn't find them! =)

10. Mackinz

If you remember the issues with the Sous Chefs from before, you'll know why I included that part of my reply. lol

11. bear irl

bear irl Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I had an, ahem.. marketplace... I was working on, spawning one of each variation of merchant, and, I'm not sure if this is possibly a vanilla issue, though I certainly had less npcs than default villages or penal colonies have, but a bunch of my merchants despawned with no rhyme or reason to it. They weren't killed by anything, I was working slightly below where they were, would have heard that but they were sealed in, anyways, and just hopped back up to most of them being gone. All the rooms in my screenshot had a single merchant in them, spawned in order from top down to bottom.
    Great mod, though, this is the only issue I've run into.

Attached Files:

12. Mackinz

Personally, I've not encountered this issue but I've read on some vanilla bug report threads that NPCs do randomly disappear... Not sure why, though.

What you can do for me is copy-paste your starbound.log from that session if possible. There may have been a loading error, and I might be able to see if something can be done about it.

If you don't have the starbound.log from that session available, wait until it happens again and then copy-paste it here.

Good thing the spawners are so cheap at the moment! :D

13. bear irl

bear irl Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't have the .log available right now but I will grab it for you if it happens again definitely. And yeah, thankfully! :p I have a ridiculous hoard of stuff, though, so I'm good anyways. Always a packrat.

14. Hostail

Hostail Pangalactic Porcupine

15. Mackinz

Mackinz updated BetterMerchants with a new update entry:

The Cash Crop Update

Read the rest of this update entry...

16. Mackinz

17. Werekitty39501

Werekitty39501 Pangalactic Porcupine

You have a store that sells seeds? Which one would that be?

18. Mackinz

There are three:

Landscaper (Seed variety, designated by a floppy hat) sells various vanilla seeds.

Landscaper (Toxic variety, designated by a Toxic Flower backpack) sells Toxic Top seeds.

Adventurer sells the seeds from the latest update.

19. Mackinz

Just fyi, guys, aside from minor bug fix releases, I will be taking a short break from updating to deal with accumulating homework. Please post suggestions and issue reports.

I never replied to this comment but I remember this being on my mind in the last update. Can't remember if I fixed it, however. Please tell me if I did. I accidentally messed up during my copy-paste-edit NPC generation.

20. Hostail

Hostail Pangalactic Porcupine

unfortunately the bard is still selling the wrong items.