1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Community The Agaran Menace

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Razey, Jan 30, 2014.

?

The Agarans: Menace or Misunderstood?

1. Menace

414 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Misunderstood

333 vote(s)
    12.4%
  3. Mushrooms

623 vote(s)
    23.2%
  4. Malevolent, Menacing, Misunderstood Mushrooms

1,319 vote(s)
    49.1%
  1. Razey

Razey The One Who Writes (Starbound)

[​IMG]

The Agarans are spreading throughout the galaxy. What their purpose is, their end goal, nobody knows. This once-peaceful species is spreading, and they're taking no prisoners. The Starbound universe needs your help. Find the Agarans. Photograph them. Post your evidence in the forums, or tweet them to @ashtonraze. Only with research and understanding will their true purpose become clear.

*****​

Somewhere, out there amongst the stars, a group of Hylotl peace missionaries fiddle with their radio and attempt to contact home. They have no luck, just like the last time, and the time before, and the time before that. Outside of their cave, the entrance of which they've disguised with a net of branches and leaves, strange noises can be heard. Unusual, garbled chattering; an alien language, unknown to the Universal Linguistics Database. The automated translators fail to parse the chattering, but the Hylotl know. 'Find them,' the voices are saying. 'Find the fish people.'

The Hylotl are down to their last ration pack now. They ran out of bandages days ago, after Kawaski slipped down a cliff and needed patching up. He recovered, but they're in a bad way now. Hungry, thirsty, cold, warmed only by the campfire they dare not light until they're sure the creatures outside are gone.

Agarans, they are called. Named by Greenfinger, of course. What creature isn't these days? The Agarans are plants - the Hylotl knew this coming to the planet, they knew the risks, the suspicion the Agarans regard them with, their unknown connection to the Florans. But the Agarans have been peaceful until now. Sure, they've been cropping up more and more around the galaxy; spreading, spore-like, although nobody has ever seen them engage in space travel.

Of course, the Hylotl sent their peace missionaries to make contact, to understand this strange, mushroom-like species. To guide them down the right path, to distance them from the vile Florans. But here, on this remote planet, the Agarans proved just as menacing as any other murderous plant.

The missionaries encountered the first group standing around a towering monolith made of plant matter. They were chanting, singing, dancing. The smell of blood and fire lingered on the air. Blindly, arrogantly, the missionaries approached. The Agarans stared at them, then began to jabber in that strange, unknown language. Then, seemingly as if commanded by a silent voice, they began to attack.

The missionaries - or what remains of them anyway - huddle together in the cave. The spores are spreading. Outside, the voices are growing louder. There's a rustling, then nothing. One of the missionaries breathes a sigh of relief, and then the camouflage is torn away from the cave entrance, and the Agarans stand there, murder in their mushroom eyes.

'Go,' one of the older missionaries whispers to Coralgrower. 'You're still young, strong. You can make it. We'll hold them off. Go.

'Go and warn the universe about the Agaran menace.'

Coralgrower flees, charging through the dark cave, trying to ignore the sounds of battle behind her. Trying to ignore those voices, those sounds, and then... that strange, growling sound, not like a creature at all, but the sounds of something taking root, growing, spreading, filling the mouth of the cave, chasing her down, down, down the dark tunnel, the scent of sap and oak dancing just behind her, out of sight.

Coralgrower does not stop running until she reaches open ground, and teleports up to the ship. She knows the others are lost. Her heart still racing, her breath still ragged, Coralgrower sits in the captain's chair and makes the jump.

2. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

Hooray! Information!! The wiki page was so empty

3. Sir Orange

Sir Orange Ketchup Robot

I found this on google images
    Screenshot 2013-12-15 11.49.56.png

Kitten Pryde likes this.
  4. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Very nice! I like the background, the atmosphere of the story, and my Floran likes that someone else appreciates the finer points of sushi.

*Edit*
    Minor point of contention, my floran has also seen three times where these smelly things have taken Floran prisoners, so, you know, they are taking prisoners. But, the figure is speech is a good one for communicating the message.

My Floran also wants to add that mushroom pizza has never tasted better.

jj200275, Andr0o, beari78 and 14 others like this.
  5. Lanceler

Lanceler Void-Bound Voyager

alpha sector
    Alpha Zell 84 III
    x-43657445
    y-13908439
    the big forest planet
    Tons of Agarans villages all around
    Also, seems theres is 2 species, the normal one and a subspecies which seems less evolved. They are smaller but larger, a blue body and no clothe, yet they can farm

6. Kitten

Kitten Subatomic Cosmonaut

I want option 5: delicious

Edit: also, fungi aren't plants :p

7. Sir Orange

Sir Orange Ketchup Robot

But fungi does grow on plants.

8. Hs413

Hs413 Tentacle Wrangler

Hmm. If they attacked the hylotl, maybe they really are allied to the florans?

Kitten Pryde likes this.
  9. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

Yes, I've seen this too, and I even have a picture!
    [​IMG]

10. TheFudgement

TheFudgement Ketchup Robot

My human character has something to say about these guys:

"Perfect pizza topping."

11. NomekSan

NomekSan Void-Bound Voyager

I had these guys on my start planet. half them, half apex and they didn't seemed to be hostile to apex at least.

12. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

More lore. Yayyyy.

jj200275 and Finn Learson like this.
  13. MKDELTA

MKDELTA Master Chief

Discovered evidence of Agarans farming. Surely a species that is fond of sugar can't be all that bad? Also found out that they make some rather...unusual weapons. What is the connection between mushrooms and lightning? The mystery deepens?

Even if they cannot understand me they are willing to sell weapons. Perhaps the presence of such an impressive cache of arms they have is explained by the great amounts of bandits I discovered?

Unfortunately I found an entrance to a Floran prison near one of their settlements. This does not bode well...

Attached Files:

Hedgeriot, MilkCalf and Windcaller like this.
  14. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Another species on my main characters to die list because they are basicly taking the race captive who is helping my main char with reverse engineering. Expect some pics showing how my main is showing them his powercrystalls using his plasma weaponary to wipe them out ^^

15. SnowFox1

SnowFox1 Void-Bound Voyager

I say we cant trust these guys

16. DeltaV

DeltaV Pangalactic Porcupine

Theory:

When your character steps into an Agaran village, they are unknowingly assaulted by hundreds of thousands of minuscule spores given off by the mushroom-folks themselves, as well as some from the surrounding mushroom flora and fauna. When you leave the planet and travel to a new one, some of the spores detach, and after a while begin to grow. They grow slowly, too slow for you to notice at first, but one day after you've left the planet long behind, they begin to grow. Huge mushrooms sprout out of the ground, along with newly-created Agarans themselves, who proceed to to the same thing to any new travelers that pass by, continuing the cycle of reproduction and colonization without the need for direct technology.

This also explains why they aren't hostile initially: A good parasite doesn't want to kill its host, it wants to use it to reproduce and feed and travel. Perhaps the Florans do not attract these spores, thus showing why the Agarans have no trapping any Florans who arrive.

17. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

50 bucks says Greenfinger created them.

@Razey does this mean more codexes for me?

18. Borvis

Borvis Subatomic Cosmonaut

On one of the Alpha planets, I found a prison of plant matter, surrounded in lava, with an Avian inside, and below that was a prison with a bunch of floran lights and a cage. Guess who was guarding the prison?
    Agaran.
    They're evil, evil, beings. I kill the ones i come across, although I fear that simply spreads their spores.
    ...It may be too late.

Viriato, cyrus1254, MilkCalf and 3 others like this.
  19. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Zero Gravity Genie

So now we finally have a main bad guy, huh?

Seems to me like the Agarans are just pawns, though. Grunts, if you will.

Viriato, MilkCalf, Windcaller and 2 others like this.
  20. Kurosagi

Kurosagi Big Damn Hero

Mushroom is Mushroom

If they get hostile we can just up and off with their heads xD

Although I only recently discovered they had merchants in those dark storage like rooms (the ones with pixel pots and a crate)

Were those added in the last update or the recent one?