1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Dye Mod 2.1 (Enraged Koala)

Change the color of almost anything! (Previously Dyeing Bucket)

1. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

Just a note, but it seems as if quite a few of the vanity items in the game, including the Wizard's Hat, the Crystal Backpack, and the Buccaneer's Hat to name a few, are configured incorrectly to be dyeable, although I'd like to keep their current colors as their default colors (i.e. crimson for the wings, blue for the Wizard's Hat, Diamond for the Crystal Backpack, etc.).

2. StarBrethren

StarBrethren Phantasmal Quasar

Great mod! Just did a full showcase on it and showed it to my subs on YouTube!

3. El Comandante

El Comandante Aquatic Astronaut

Jep and you need like 15 pental to make one, and first find a planet. If you want to change the Art, just take the pic of the bucket. Even in the today you will not need an idustrial machine to dye just your stuff at home. Did you ever batic a shirt?

4. Asatrix

Asatrix Guest

Waiting on the update to Furious. I adore this mod. I should mention I attempted the manual Furious update and it just causes perpetual loading o.o I took a look at the files possibly could be the .object code. I will look at the Tabula Rasa's files to see if that's the case not entirely sure what the issue is at the moment. Just updating it to Furious didn't work.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2014
  5. MrMagical

MrMagical Subatomic Cosmonaut

MrMagical updated Dyeing Bucket (multiplayer friendly) with a new update entry:

v1.5 - Red chairs of fury

Read the rest of this update entry...

6. MartyHB

MartyHB Scruffy Nerf-Herder

might i suggest using mega online storage to distribute your downloads, the fail rate is 0% for downloads because it pre loads the file to 100% then hyper downloads it to your pc as a complete file https://mega.co.nz/ try it out, it also gives you 50 gigs free storage

7. Zaitzev

Zaitzev Void-Bound Voyager

Getting a whole lots of "Error: Could not instantiate item '[minerhead, 1, {"colorIndex":6}]'. VariantException: Improper conversion to double from string in get("amount")" with this mod - Don't know if this is a problem for proper functionality..

8. JellyBlade

JellyBlade Phantasmal Quasar

So, I dyed the trainee shirt, one of the hylotl starter clothes, with black dye and it turned pink D:

9. MrMagical

Not a big problem. That item will just be ignored. It will be fixed in the next release.
    Chucklefish just messed up a tiny little thing when adding decorative miner clothing.

I'm just as surprised as you are. I can't even do the same thing in my game no matter what I try. :cautious:

You could try to delete the mod and then download a new copy to install.

If that doesn't work it would be helpful to know what other mods you have installed and if you're running Starbound on Windows, Mac or Linux.

10. Camo5

Camo5 Void-Bound Voyager

You forgot the bucket...I installed the mod but can't find the bucket anywhere.

I was already using the tabula rasa and tiered survival systems mod.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  11. MrMagical

I'm unable to replicate this issue and can't offer much help because of this.

If the bucket doesn't show up in either the crafting table or the tabula rasa then my first guess would be that the mod is not correctly installed. Please ensure that you have a folder (not a zip) called DyeingBucket directly located in your mods folder.

The download may have been corrupted. Try downloading again.

My second guess would be that some other mod is conflicting with it. Please move ALL other mods to another folder temporarily and make sure to completely restart the game before you check again.

12. Cyberguy64

Cyberguy64 Pangalactic Porcupine

I have a suggestion. Shoot me down if it's unfeasible, but would it be possible to dye different parts of the clothes? I've noticed that often, I'll dye an article, only to find that the part that I wanted to change color stayed the same, and a different part was changed.

Would it be possible to have multiple dye slots or something so that you could color markedly different parts of the clothes separately?

13. MrMagical

It might be possible but it would be difficult to create and maintain. So maybe it's not the best idea right now.

The bucket looks up and uses the same kind of recipes you see on a crafting table.
    Because recipes can't just transfer information over there is a separate recipe file for each item+dye combination. This means 14 files for each of the 700 armor pieces, for a total of around 10 000 recipe files... just for armor.
    To have make different parts separately dyeable, you would need around (14 * 14 =) 196 files per item, one for each combination.

I'm not going to be able to do that alone. The only reason this mod exists is because those 14 files per item were easy to make thanks to some things already being in place.

14. Cyberguy64

Cyberguy64 Pangalactic Porcupine

That's what I figured. Oh well, thanks anyway.

15. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

the race tiered weapons might be colored (looking at the files)
    stuff like the inverivium sword and stuff

you should try it

i gess i didnt read lol

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  16. Camo5

Camo5 Void-Bound Voyager

I tried re-downloading the mod and moving a new download of the bucket in, but it still isn't showing up :(

17. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks for all the cool colors!

18. bielprendes

bielprendes Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I downloaded and installed a mod and when I started the game it crashed

19. Ixmore

Ixmore Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If your using the logical recipes mod, than that what's causing the game to crash. just remove greendye.item and located at /logical recipes/objects/generic/dye and it should work fine.

And on a related note, I owe you an Apology MrMagical and I'll try to be more considerate in the future

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  20. MrMagical

It's good to hear that you figured it out. I had a few ideas for a more long term fix, but it seems like most things won't work.
    Modifying the files of the other mod through my mod to fix the issue wouldn't work because his mod loads after mine.
    Renaming my version of the item wouldn't work because then existing crafted dye bottles would break.

If both item files were in the same place there would be no conflict because they would just overwrite each other.
    The author of the logical recipes mod put his greendye.item in /objects/generic/dye/ while I put mine in /items/generic/other/ which is where the dyes of the base game are (plus they are items and not objects).
    Since my placement is more logical, I'm not going to move it. I think you should ask the author of the logical recipes mod to do so instead. It should be an easy thing to do.

Thanks for submitting this issue properly so I can respond better and discuss solutions! :up: