1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Another Character Creation Menu 1.4 For Starbound 1.0

Character creation menu with custom race support.

1. Motionless

Motionless Pangalactic Porcupine

Motionless submitted a new mod:

Another Character Creation Menu - Character creation menu with custom race support.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    Naesh and Eivind2010 like this.
  2. Finnosasurus

Finnosasurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

3. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

And that's... five, now? Nothing wrong with that, but I'm just wondering what mods that aren't adding new races are doing in the races subforum.

In less philosophical news, please don't do that thing with the dependencies. All five of these are functionally identical and the choice should be up to the user. To make mods depend on a given CC extender is like making a website that works perfectly fine on any browser yet it adamantly refuses service on anything but Safari.

Shadewarp likes this.
  4. Shadewarp

Shadewarp Pangalactic Porcupine

Seemingly becoming a mod dump spot - the race extenders. We have some perfectly fine race extenders, Kawa's being the one that is most likely to be updated and has the most slots.

So what is the point of making a new one? That is two new for this patch... Cmon!!!

It's confusing the heck out of players, and the dependencies.. Remove it please!

5. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I think you mean "updated first and has the most slots", because there's extenders with more than that that haven't updated yet.

Belated: I mean, emphasis on "and".

Shadewarp likes this.
  6. Motionless

These posts sure are late. I only included the dependencies early on because I thought it was required for the mod to run. Thanks to the first review from Squaff I removed the dependency instructions. I agree the method is very cumbersome and annoying.
    Seems to me it makes sense to fit the mod into the races section, seeing as how you need to have one to make any of the custom races work (if they are not prepackaged with one) I'd rather not have to look in the Other junk category for one.

Shadewarp, the whole point of modding is to change the game into your own particular liking. That said, if you bothered to look at the picture I have included you would have seen that this mod has an entirely different layout. Most of the ones out there (imho) look half assed. Just because one has more race slots than the other doesn't necessarily make it better than the others. Furthermore just because one is better than the other does not mean there is no place for others. There is nothing confusing about this mod at all and the dependency instructions have been removed before you even posted.

7. Shadewarp

Shadewarp Pangalactic Porcupine

I concure, I may have been too hasty :) To be fair, it's not your fault (it does look neat your setup, I didn't say otherwise) but the lack of support for modded spieces from Chucklefish's side.

Sorry for the hasty response - and I gotta say wow to your race ;) Looks amazing, specially the ship!

8. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Tread lightly, friend.

9. Motionless

Criticism. It's a thing. Not an insult.

10. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I'm sorry but I can't see how "they look half-assed" constitutes criticism, considering the lengths gone through. As an example, does ODB2's extender "look half-assed"? I'm sure you'll agree it doesn't. Criticism would be to say ODB2's extender doesn't look like it fits in with the rest of the game's windows.

11. Motionless

I suppose that term can be taken way out of what I was meaning. I should have gone more into detail. I was mostly pointing out the plain separated window ones that can be whipped up in a few minutes. Like the most popular one at the moment (I won't name names).
    I never meant they were bad. Just easily made and nothing really new.

Of course I agree to that. That particular mod was actually the inspiration for me to make my own, but as you said it just doesn't quite fit. Although now with the new look that has come out for it, it sure looks more appealing.

12. Motionless

Also just realized the dependency part was still lingering in the Discussion area even though I changed the Overview. awhile ago T.T

Shadewarp likes this.
  13. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Then you obviously can't mean mine as well. It took considerable effort to keep things right, and even then I had to go back for the Furious update because I hadn't spent enough effort making it right.

14. Motionless

I haven't even seen your's. There is no picture available ( I realize that is probably temporary). As a general rule I don't download mods I can't preview first.

15. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Ah yes. Thank you for reminding me. I'll make a picture right now!

Edit: How's this?

16. Motionless

This is nicer than the other two. It looks more fluid and feels like one piece instead of an extension.

There are just a few minor things I see that gets my OCD senses tingling however.

-The black bar through the top of the gender buttons doesn't quite look right (either lower the buttons or thin out that bar)
    -The personality label and spinner might look better centered between the other options
    -Seems to be a shadow graphic error on the right hand side, a hard edge meets a light edge.
    -Bottom "ok" and "cancel" buttons are are over lapping the window (extend the bottom grey bar and the buttons down a few pixels)
    -The species label, the "R" in Floran seems to be cut out somehow, not sure if that is related to the mod or just a game error though

17. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Now, this image is a composite of a screenshot and the raw PNG files. That's why it's actually transparant here. I may have made some mistakes when I made it. The R in Floran was cut off in compositing, but the black bar crossing the gender buttons is in the vanilla version as well, as are the bottom buttons. The personality label is right where it should be, compared with vanilla, but the spinner should be moved to the left a bit. The only graphical (not control) error is the shadow, and I'll fix that along with the personality spinner shortly. I just released a version with those two things corrected.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  18. Motionless

Ah I see. Looks much better with that rogue spinner not throwing everything off.
    Personally I think those buttons are graphically incorrect on the original vanilla too.The only reason the devs added a footer PNG was because someone didn't have the time to nudge all the components back into place after adding the difficulty mode bar. :rofl:
    I merged mine into one image I believe. Excluding the custom button overlays. Not that it particularly makes a difference however. :proper:

Eivind2010 likes this.
  19. Motionless

20. willjr08

willjr08 Big Damn Hero

I need help. My creatures arent working. They arent going into the slots as I download them
    I am using your creature mod u used to demonstrate