Modding Discussion New Updates and how it affects you!

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by severedskullz, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Allright, so I will be posting info as I find it.

Right now, many of you mod makers may be having issues where your mods give you PGI's (Perfectly Generic Item).

If you added new items and they worked fine last update, but now they are a PGI, check the log to see what you are missing. This update is much more strict about which keys are in the items. For example, you may receive an VariantException similar to this:
    Code:
    Error: Error loading object file /objects/colonymine/mine.object: VariantException: Improper conversion to int from string in get("price")
      009E7CC4 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarVariant.hpp:13)
      00A8D18A (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarVariant.cpp:890)
      00843974 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarVariant.cpp:524)
      00629177 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarObjectDatabase.cpp:374)
      00509A8F (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarRoot.cpp:206)
      004013E8 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/client/StarClientApplication.cpp:306)
      009A3852 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarThread_windows.cpp:74)
      7708850D KERNEL32.DLL
      7781BF39 ntdll.dll
      7781BF0C ntdll.dll
    Which simply means that you did not include a price in your item for use in merchants, or it is a String instead of a number. The type has changed in this update, so you no longer should put "" around your price. You may also get an error that results in a PGI if your item does not have the printable boolean (again NOT a string!) set on it for your .object files like so:
    Code:
    Error: Error loading object file /objects/colonybeacon/colonybeacon.object: VariantException: Improper conversion to bool from string in get("printable")
      009E7CC4 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarVariant.hpp:13)
      00A8C428 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarVariant.cpp:890)
      0084399E (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarVariant.cpp:523)
      0062BD7B (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarObjectDatabase.cpp:386)
      00509A8F (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarRoot.cpp:206)
      004013E8 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/client/StarClientApplication.cpp:306)
      009A3852 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarThread_windows.cpp:74)
      7708850D KERNEL32.DLL
      7781BF39 ntdll.dll
      7781BF0C ntdll.dll
    This update seems to be much stricter in terms of what is needed to define an item or object, so be sure you update your files accordingly for mods. Should I find any other major changes, I will be sure to let you know.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. Crystan

Crystan Maverick Hunter

Thanks for the solution.
    Still asking myself why in gods name they came up with that...

3. HeyItsCap

HeyItsCap Starship Captain

Thanks! This helped me!

4. No idea, but Im having EXTENSIVE problems with the "storage" lua table right now. Im also getting this while trying to spawn an item. Keep in mind all my code has worked since release.
    Code:
    Warn: Could not spawn Item of kind 'colonybeacon', exception caught: StarException: Item parameters not map in ItemDescriptor constructor
    Time to figure out what this means...

5. madtulip

madtulip Phantasmal Quasar

Code:
    Error: Exception caught in Thread Async root loader: VariantException: Improper conversion to double from string in get("size")
      009E5474 starbound_opengl.exe
      00A89E0A starbound_opengl.exe
      00841688 starbound_opengl.exe
      0071BBE1 starbound_opengl.exe
      00648BB3 starbound_opengl.exe
      00649598 starbound_opengl.exe
      0064A5DC starbound_opengl.exe
      0050768C starbound_opengl.exe
      004013E8 starbound_opengl.exe
      009A1282 starbound_opengl.exe
      75C2336A kernel32.dll
      77D89F72 ntdll.dll
      77D89F45 ntdll.dll
    happens for .particle files which include a
    Code:
    size : "1"
    instead of
    Code:
    size :  1
    with NOT MENTION OF THE BUGGY FILE. so check all your .particle files.

GeoGraf and NerArth like this.
  6. madtulip

madtulip Phantasmal Quasar

worst case :( im sorry to hear that.

7. If you guys could test as well... I cant even store and re-load simple data from across sessions using the storage table.

8. Crystan

Crystan Maverick Hunter

Code:
    Error: Could not instantiate item '[mmxfirstchest, 1, {"colorIndex":6}]'. VariantException: Improper conversion to double from string in get("amount")
    For armors:
    Code:
      "statusEffects" : [
        {
          "kind" : "ColdProtection",
          "amount" : "2.5"
        },
    to
    Code:
      "statusEffects" : [
        {
          "kind" : "ColdProtection",
          "amount" : 2.5
        },
    It really looks like every value with quotation marks have to get rid of these - freaking brilliant >.>

NerArth and Pohany like this.
  9. Shadewarp

Shadewarp Pangalactic Porcupine

Wauw... this is gonna take a while to fix ... :(

10. So we have confirmed there is an issue with the storage table, and it has already been brought to the attention of the Devs and was fixed. Im not sure when we will see the fix though.

> Saving data to a storage table then saving/quitting will mess up the storage table and you will not be able to load the data upon next playthough.

11. DrBob3002

DrBob3002 Big Damn Hero

Thank you! Was wracking my brain trying to figure out what the heck the patch could have broke with my mod. Turns out it was indeed just the quotations around the price..

12. ahappydude

ahappydude Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Alot of new errors arised forthe mods i were using and the one im currently making, dam..

13. Shadewarp

Shadewarp Pangalactic Porcupine

Smae, and around cold protection on armor

14. ahappydude

ahappydude Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The whole world/planet gen and dungeons seems to be handled different to now.. Good thread start severed, maybe we can collect the changes here?

15. Ive noticed that labels in your UI files must be strings now instead of strings or ints. For example, anyone that made a duplicate of the crafting table or the like had an integer as the "value" key for the price. This now needs to be a string.

16. Nicoll&Dime

Nicoll&Dime Subatomic Cosmonaut

happens for .particle files which include a
    Code:
    size : "1"
    instead of
    Code:
    size :  1
    with NOT MENTION OF THE BUGGY FILE. so check all your .particle files.[/quote]

You are a lifesaver. Saved me hours of searching. Thanks!

17. Armed Mosquito

Armed Mosquito Existential Complex

Error: Could not instantiate item '[VaporCondenserGun, 1, {}]'. VariantException: Improper conversion to int from string

but my recipe file looks like this..

Code:
    {
    "input" : [{ "item" : "money", "count" : 800},
        { "item" : "copperbar", "count" : 5},
        { "item" : "steelbar", "count" : 5},
        { "item" : "goldbar", "count" : 3}
        ],
    "output" : { "item" : "VaporCondenserGun", "count" : 1 },
    "groups" : [ "plain","object", "tools", "all" ]
    }
    RESOLVED:

• I had to go in my gun file as it was a gun mod.
    • All values whether #'s or true;false had to be changed.
    • Solved.
    Basically It stumped me because I forgot about true and false. Cig break!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  18. salt1219

salt1219 Void-Bound Voyager

i fixed the issue with my armor being a generic item.... just needed to delete "" around the cold protection value.
    okay i have two questions now.
    1) where are you getting those logs (i feel like i should already know this)
    2) anyone else having an issue with armor being invisible?

19. Del Rose

Del Rose Seal Broken

Someone can help me?

I can't find the right place to start to fix...

Code:
    Info: Loading Star::Root...
    Info: Loading Star::Configuration from '..\starbound.config'
    Info: Not loading ImageMetadataDatabase from file '..\image.cache', digest mismatch or assets not digestable
    Info: Shutting down Star::Root
    Error: VariantException: Improper conversion to double from string in get("size")
      008B5874 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarVariant.hpp:13)
      0094405A (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarVariant.cpp:890)
      0071D588 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarVariant.cpp:522)
      004A1B73 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarParticle.hpp:13)
      ... (2)
      004A359C (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarMap.hpp:61)
      0040ED8C (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarRoot.cpp:157)
      00B02A87 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/server/main.cpp:71)
      004010FD starbound_server.exe
      77A337EB ntdll.dll
      77A337BE ntdll.dll

Is not a .particle file.

20. Armed Mosquito

Armed Mosquito Existential Complex

If you would like private message me your mod link or a download and I would be more then happy to help you out. Also my Skype is ik.gamedev if anyone is looking for help with mods that went bad after the update feel free to contact me!

Let me also say,
    Info: Not loading ImageMetadataDatabase from file '..\image.cache', digest mismatch or assets not digestable

Believes me to think its in a file named,
    image.cache