1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

In next patch commits: "Force pvp in x sector"

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Raindrac, Jan 24, 2014.

?

Do you like this change?

1. Yes, it adds some difficulty to the sector

162 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. No, especially since it's forced

196 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. It doesn't matter for me, I only play single player

81 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. krylo

krylo Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

[​IMG]

Finn Learson likes this.
  2. Shevai

Shevai Void-Bound Voyager

I only play with friends, so it won't bother us. Just means we'll have to watch where we shoot and be more tactical incase of accidental MDKs. =p

3. cheeseywiz98

cheeseywiz98 Void-Bound Voyager

As long as you can't damage people party'd with you I'm fine. I mean really, what's the chances of actually stumbling into someone with all those numbers in the X and Y?

4. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

I don't think PvP should be forced.

Auchmithie, ___MeRliN___ and Elate like this.
  5. ale_camargo

ale_camargo Poptop Tamer

But that's exactly the problem, some people enjoy it, others don't.

I think there need to be a PvP feature, but it also needs to be optional, like a sector where you don't need to go to complete the "story mode" and all itens found are PvP oriented.

Another more extensive and thrilling option could be different servers for PvP and PvE...that way you could PvP anywhere, just limited by a few safe zones, but if you don't like PvP you still can enjoy the whole game in a PvE server.

6. Syl

Syl Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I can't speak for everyone, but here is how it is for me.

I am a co-op player. I adore working with others, supporting them, working together to accomplish stuff. I've made so many friends in games that way. I also despise PVP in almost all forms, in part because its the opposite of what I like and in part because of the attitude that tends to come with it.

Yes, being forced to vacate a planet because some douche managed to find me would be irritating, but its not just that. I'd have to constantly watch my back with people I team with that I don't know. Do they really want to work with me, or just blow me up once I've told them where I am? Some will be more than happy to pull that just to get a kill. And that ruins the fun.

So yeah, it does have a bearing on my gameplay at least.

Now, if its stuck in its own sector that doesn't have anything non-PVP sectors don't have, have at it.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    Aeon, Finn Learson and Elate like this.
  7. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

This thread is just going in circles now.

Tamorr likes this.
  8. Kriminal

Kriminal Big Damn Hero

Sector X was always supposed to be pvp based. I always thought the current sector x was an obvious placeholder until the other tiers are sorted out.

9. liradarc

liradarc Subatomic Cosmonaut

When a thread exceeds three pages, expect recent posters to have only read the OP and the last page.

For the average internet denizen, throwing out your own "two cents" takes a higher priority than ensuring that what you're about to say hasn't already been said before. And before. And before.

Aeon, Akado, krylo and 1 other person like this.
  10. That's what they've said about the last few patches. It's planned to be pvp only, that way people like @Syl can live in peace!

source: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1ccf2l/

Just a shot in the dark, but that optional always on PVP mode is probably Sector X.

I'm not a genius though, nor a soothsayer. I only have google and what Tiy has said.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  11. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Zero Gravity Genie

So wait, are there going to be materials only found in Sector X like currently?

If I have to venture into a PvP forced zone for materials to do my peaceful building, I'm going to drop this faster than a rock.
    (inb4 'just mod nub lololololololol elitism')

I've never been a fan of PvP forced areas. Ever. But I can be cool with them as long as there isn't anything in there that can't be found anywhere else. If you're forcing me to go into PvP open areas for some shit I want to use in solo play, you're out of your god damned mind.

Eppy likes this.
  12. TheEveryman

TheEveryman Big Damn Hero

I honestly don't get why everyone's so upset and people are swearing off Multiplayer until they let you turn off PvP in Sector X.

They're not FORCING you to PvP. They're not making it so that if you want to explore any planets in Sector X, you have to fight at least 3 people every time you land. The only thing they're forcing is for you to have PvP mode enabled. If you don't want to PvP, you can just go about your business from planet to planet and pretty much never encounter a single soul, and if you do meet someone by some cosmic chance, and they're also completely hostile, you can just go to one of the trillion other planets that nobody's on.

As to concerns about killing your team mates, come on, give Chucklefish some credit. Odds are that you won't be able to damage allies in your party. Or who knows, maybe they'll keep friendly fire in so that people will have to actually think about what they're doing while they're fighting instead of just shooting and stabbing randomly into a writhing mass of their friends (But I doubt it).

I also happen to think that having PvP always on in a specific sector helps prevent the situations I saw way too often in Terraria where someone would turn on PvP, kill someone really quickly, and then turn it off again as soon as they could so they wouldn't get hit. The people who actually want to have a good old bloodbath can set up a gathering place in their server where people can just brawl all day long.

Point is, you're in a dangerous, lawless place. The deep reaches of the universe. There are people out there to get you, and this is where they can do it. But the odds of some bloodthirsty murderer finding you in the vastness of space, outside of a PvP gathering spot, while you're trying to get all the goodies you can, are astronomically low. And the odds of you having no way to escape if you don't want to fight are even lower.

Now let me make this clear, I am NOT a fan of PvP. I generally avoid it as much as I can when it's in the games I play. It brings out a side of me that I don't very much like. A very angry and spiteful side that I'd rather let slowly seep out over the course of the day. But the amount of whinging and negativity about this change is just so annoying.

13. ForceablePlace

ForceablePlace Phantasmal Quasar

By the time you at Sector X, you wont have to worry about randoms on Servers...

I really like this.

14. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Zero Gravity Genie

Except forcing someone into a specific way of playing in a sandbox game is absolutely ridiculous.
    I don't care what .00001% I have of meeting someone out there in PvP-land is. If I am forced to go there for a type of ore or something, and someone happens to find me and kill me because of the forced PvP-enabled, I am going to be absolutely fire-from-my-eyes furious.

In no way, shape, or form should a sandbox game of all games forced or restrict you to play certain ways.

You have to think into the future as well along with this change. I'm going to assume in the future they'll cancel out easy escapes like spaceship beaming up and the like to make PvP actually PvP.

Sorry you're annoyed by completely legitimatized concerns about being forced to participate in something many of us have less than zero interest in participating in.

Note: My stance only applies if there are ores you need found only in PvP-forced sectors. If I can find all ores elsewhere (and I mean find, not 1 ore every 10 planets find), then I don't care about PvP-forced sectors at all.

XaoG likes this.
  15. de0lsu

de0lsu Subatomic Cosmonaut

It's a big galaxy, I don't really care about PvP so I will avoid it whenever possible. I get enough PvP in real life. Thanks, but no thanks.

I'm only interested in Sector X at the moment for the rare / legendary items and better resources for building better tech.

16. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

It being forced is stupid.

XaoG likes this.
  17. Ninja Serenity

Ninja Serenity Big Damn Hero

that's not always true, not everyone socializes with everyone on servers and only plays with friends, plus some people on servers can be absolute... assholes, for lack of a better word and thus you will have to worry about those people if they're in the X Sector. So your point is moot

18. @Dynafols
    @Dread Pirate Roberts
    @Litagano Motscoud
    @ale_camargo

source: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1ccf2l/

I think Sector X was intended to be the optional always on PVP mode. Not that I'm saying it's the only way to do things, they clearly are fine with trying different iterations of systems if one doesn't work out so well.

I say we give this time and be constructive when you actually play the patch and actually get to Sector X and experience what it's really like.

19. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

Maybe they shouldn't have teased up with things that we don't know much about (I don't have a reddit).
    Yes I will see it for myself when the time comes, but I can't yet (it should be soon), but until all I really have to base my comments on is what they provide.

To be frank a completely side and optional sector that we don't have to go through to progress sounds alright to me.

20. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

I was voicing my opinion assuming that Sector X would contain things you can't get in the non-PVP sectors. If that's not the case, then I don't have any problem.