1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

In next patch commits: "Force pvp in x sector"

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Raindrac, Jan 24, 2014.

?

Do you like this change?

1. Yes, it adds some difficulty to the sector

162 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. No, especially since it's forced

196 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. It doesn't matter for me, I only play single player

81 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. Raindrac

Raindrac Existential Complex

Actually, there is an explanatory dev post explaining what the update is, I linked it in the first post. And in this post.
    Otherwise, I agree with what you said. This change means nothing for most users, really.

I_give_karma_to_men:
    ""Force pvp in x sector": So does this mean pvp will be forced in x sector?"

(Dev)OmnipotentEntity:

"That's what it means, and that's what it does. I don't remember any discussion on this, so this took me by surprise."

Serenity likes this.
  2. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Yay!

All the more reason to never touch multiplayer.

PvP, 99.9999% of the time, brings out the worst Humanity has to offer and I'll have nothing to do with it.

Ninja Serenity likes this.
  3. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Custardsquare and Jbeetle like this.
  4. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

If I ever play multiplayer instead of dedicating my character to a server I guess ill have to get the best gear before I go to X so I wont be one shotted.

Alaster, Jbeetle and Serenity like this.
  5. liradarc

liradarc Subatomic Cosmonaut

I stand corrected then. That's good to know. I'd like to hear from the devs who implemented it, as the one quoted seemed just as surprised as anyone else.

Once, when I was a kid, I went over to a friend's house and we played Super Smash Brothers against each other. I chopped up his Bowser with my Roy. I'd like to think that event didn't put me in the same league as Josef Mengele, but perhaps I'm wrong.

6. Scruffy

Scruffy Pangalactic Porcupine

While I dislike this new feature the chances of meeting another player on a random planet in Sector X is highly unlikely.

de0lsu likes this.
  7. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

There's a difference between playing PvP in person, and playing PvP Anonymously over the Internet.

There's also a large difference between PvP against friends, and PvP against total anonymous strangers.

8. liradarc

So if I played some random person over a peer to peer emulation program and chopped up their Bowser, I'd bring out the worst in humanity?

9. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Just wait until the new "Interesting Coordinates" are found. You can bet your booties people will camp that stuff. Especially if our ships get scanners; nearly any planet that has an avian airship on it will probably have PvPers on it on large servers I'd think.

10. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

PVP brings out very strong emotions from those involved in it. Mostly because it is very competitive, fierce, and difficult.

Those emotions are very strong and can be negative (boasting, taunting, raging, cursing) or positive (inspiring, challenging, teamwork, encouragement). I would say that PVP brings out the best and worst of a community, but a lot of times...it's the worst that you see.

11. Scruffy

Scruffy Pangalactic Porcupine

True, it would be nice if there was an option to disable force-pvp serverside.

de0lsu likes this.
  12. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Have you seen some of the seething hate that comes out of PvP in games like, oh I don't know, World of Warcraft? People who play the game for the express purpose to grief other players and ruin their fun? Sometimes these players get so angry at each other, that the death threats start flying around and people end up getting banned and such over it.

PvP is a giant griefing tool in a game like SB, WoW, etc. Super Smash Bros, well... derp that was obviously created and balanced solely around PvP that's a little different.

13. krylo

krylo Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Not really.

The people you're complaining about are the same people that need to point out how easy everything is whenever someone complains about a system being more trouble than it's worth (go back and look at coal rarity threads, for a quick for instance).

The overly competitive are going to be overly competitive regardless of whether they can compete to kill you or just compete to be better than you. The guys who gank newbies in MMOs are exhibiting the same social activity as the ones who talk about their 'Tier 9 Raid Gear' and BiS as if it makes them better human beings, and look down on anyone who hasn't completed that content yet. They're the ones who complain about anything that makes end game content more accessible, because they don't get to feel as special.

It's a problem that is not, in any way, limited to PvP. Some of the nicest people I've met have been on PvP servers. Some of the worst have been in PvE raid guilds.

Perfectly reasonable people outside of PvP will be perfectly reasonable within PvP. People who are overly competitive jerks in PvP are going to be the same way without it.

Denigrating the entire PvP demographic over a couple of difficult to ignore jerks isn't really the way to go about having a productive conversation.

THAT SAID : We have no idea why this is being implemented, how long it will remain implemented, what methods people will have to avoid it, what Sector X will look like at the end game, etc. etc.

We have one line of a commit and a developer saying 'well yeah that's what it does'. That's it.

It's worth asking for clarification, at this point. But probably not worth getting all worked up over.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  14. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

There's a difference: you can /ignore the idiots in the BiS gear. You can't /ignore that guy ganking you.

15. liradarc

Haven't played WoW. But I've played SWTOR and EVE. You get angsty people everywhere, even in PvE servers and RP communities. If they aren't raging at each other over PvP losses, then they're raging at each other over ego clashes during an end-game raid. Or who's ERPing who.

People rage. Anger is a human emotion. Honestly, some kids shouting BS over xbox live doesn't compare in intensity to the animus of a dive bar during the soccer world finals. And those are just spectators.

And really there's no difference between me chopping up someone's Bowser as Roy. Or shooting their level 21 druid with a level 22 ranger. The humanity.

16. ThePwn

ThePwn Astral Cartographer

You can also host your own server and disable pvp. You can join servers that dont allow griefing, maybe even whitelisted. The only reason you go into a public vanilla server is for random interaction between players. If that random interaction is not positive then pick a real server where you can build relationships.

de0lsu likes this.
  17. Hexerin

Hexerin Existential Complex

except for the part where the PvP is force-enabled.

18. Ninja Serenity

Ninja Serenity Big Damn Hero

or you can't actually host a server for numerous reasons, and have to use a public one just to play with your friends, trust me, I'm in this scenario here.

19. Vandrick

Vandrick Phantasmal Quasar

I think a lot of people are way overreacting. Refund because there will be a PvP sector you DON'T have to go to? Ridiculous. Like I said in my last post, there's no way console commands won't exist to override this. Same as there will be console commands to limit who can build or destroy, etc. For those wanting to play on Multiplayer servers, most MP servers worth a salt WILL have custom things going on, custom things installed, server commands, etc etc. You're crazy if you don't think there will be plenty of NON-PVP servers out there.

Oh, and in the highly unlikely event there will never be a server command that will override forced PvP...there will most definitely be mods that do.

20. ThePwn

ThePwn Astral Cartographer

Disabling pvp serverside through your configuration settings overrides an auto pvp system, also your server would be for just people you trust. You would also have admin commands allowing you to kick people