1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

In next patch commits: "Force pvp in x sector"

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Raindrac, Jan 24, 2014.

?

Do you like this change?

1. Yes, it adds some difficulty to the sector

162 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. No, especially since it's forced

196 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. It doesn't matter for me, I only play single player

81 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Aha, you are accusing people thinking like me of being "lonely" and that bullshit?

Kinda sick of people like that you know? Guys like you really disgust me. Nice how you show valid complains as invalid ones. Let me get this straight: Anybody disliking PvP (not me included but if I go on a peacefull server then I do not want to be bothered with pvp) you are calling a catsynonym just because they want to play this wonderfull game in a different way you want?

Your whole post is not as clever as you think nor as mature as you think. Its quite immature to tell people to shut up you know? But "life will show you" to put it into a propper metaphor soon enough.

Well... Hm hopefully we meet some time on a multiplayer server... in sector x then, on the same planet, where your base is. Will be fun to show you how funny PvP is if people are repeatingly waiting for you there ;) At your spawn point. With a bonehammer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2014
    Kabu, Alaster and Harlander like this.
  2. JarinArenos

JarinArenos Pangalactic Porcupine

Completely off topic (since this is likely to become a non-issue in a patch or so), but did anyone actually look at those listed dev notes? They're kinda hilarious to read at points.
    "blah"
    "it was stupid anyway"
    "mad at c++"
    "HACK is such a strong word"
    "more hat"
    "oops"

Favorite: "rotation math is weird"

Tamorr and WoxandWarf like this.
  3. coldReactive

coldReactive Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I won't be playing multiplayer or hosting until they give us a way to un-force it.

4. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Didnt know that Sector X is determined as PvP sector... probaly missed that somewhere or I simply read that its the endgame sector, wheres not clearly defined what endgame means.

Anyways more questions to that:

If people are completly capable of getting in items to the game (in single player and bring them to multiplayer) and modify the stats of the items in their current inventory, say the swing rate of the bonehammer to 2.00 which would effectly double the attack speed of it... how are server admins then able to proof that they have cheated without propper server software?

Get what I mean, if there would be a propper, fully working anti cheat and anti grief system I might would agree to that. But that condition is not given yet. People are able to edit ANY item the way they want. Nothing against that, but if they bring those items into multiplayer, decide to find you somehow and then fight you, kill you in 1 hit while you wear full Tier 10 armor while you are unable to hurt them, what would be your first reaction to that then? In case you know something was wrong with them but you nor the admins are unable to proof it. So and before somebody says moving on think about that: You have no idea how to duplicate items in case you accidently brought your character having arround 100k pixels on. How high was death penality again? 1/3? 1/4? In case of 1/4 that would mean 25k would be gone. Not gone in a fair fight you could win. In that scenario you would have 0 chance. So I would actually rather prefere some protection before adding these features. Thats what I was trying to explain guys

5. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

I still consider sector X "everything that hasn't been decided yet is thrown into this sector"

___MeRliN___ likes this.
  6. Pseudo Unicorn

Pseudo Unicorn Subatomic Cosmonaut

Welp, if this is true, I'm not stepping foot on multiplayer until I've reached top tier in singe player and thus never have to step foot in Sector X again.

I -hate- PvP and all it entails.

Aeon, Auchmithie, Tamorr and 2 others like this.
  7. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Since I don't quite agree with this change, maybe someone can help me understand it.

What are the benefits of this change?
    - PVP allowed, encouraged, and defined. Also, confined to one sector, so there are options.
    - Able to broadcast today's Arena Planet, and meet all sorts of unsavory characters.
    - There must be more...

What are the drawbacks from a PVP perspective?
    - Unless you broadcast a location, good luck finding anyone else. Is PVP even on?
    - Difficult to go in a team unless they implement "No Friendly Fire" options or party mechanics.
    - any others?

I sincerely hope the following are not true:
    - The strongest items in the game are only found in the PVP area
    - There is exclusive content desirable by PVE players is only in the PVP sector

___MeRliN___ likes this.
  8. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Hm from that assumption they might change the PvP concept and its just a temporary way to fix PvP into the game. Why not coming earlier with that good argument :)

9. DJOkamical

DJOkamical Space Kumquat

Ohmygod myfeelings.
    Why is the internet so serious oh no. :(

10. Jetpack725

Jetpack725 Guest

Forced pvp in sector X is fine, it's only X, it's not like your forced to be there all the time, if you need something there, just be quite, get in and get out.

11. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

I think a less dramatic response would be just to not join anyone's party other than friends until you reach top tier.

That is just what it's kinda always been, right? I however wouldn't be surprised if they kept Sector X forced PVP. It's way less of a big deal than some seem to think, and they'll undoubtedly see that after the patch drops.

Tamorr and ___MeRliN___ like this.
  12. Dakonic

Dakonic Space Hobo

Completely agree! However, I'd rather have to option to fool around with PvP and risk getting killed by a cheater (which is, as we've said, astronomically difficult) than having no chance to do so. The server side tools are coming, I'm sure, but the devs probably don't consider them necessary at least until the game is more complete.

___MeRliN___ likes this.
  13. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

If the sector x is again the unfinished feature dump then point 1 is true...

For point 2 people would probaly rather go single player, get the top tier items there and switch back to multiplayer which is still a big problem atm...

14. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Ew first double post on forums... I am so hardcore evil ;)

Even if they keep it the way it is now chances are EXTREMLY LOW that you encounter a legit player in sector X... I mean there are virtually million solar systems and probaly billion planets. But still, I am pretty sure some nice little guy in his cellar room is capable of getting some little program/hack to get your coordinates and jump there and then kill you in your base and camp your respawn point. If they are going to add an Anti-Cheat system which works propper and only a handfull of people are able to bypass + adding soonish propper server software I would totally agree to that feature (even if its kinda annoying to build and friendly servers, but I am sure some guy is capable of coding a plugin).

15. Wolfedg

Wolfedg Pangalactic Porcupine

It should be a toggleable server option IMO, but I really don't mind b/c I only plan on playing solo or on a small server with frends.

16. Grymlokk

Grymlokk Void-Bound Voyager

I'm all for PvP and such, I think it will add an element of excitement and risk in the later stages of the game...... I'm just not for "forced"... I think if the option for the server host to toggle whether or not Sector X is a PvP zone would solve a lot of issues being brought up here.

Tamorr likes this.
  17. Raindrac

Raindrac Existential Complex

Why so hostile? MeRliN said nothing about his feelings being hurt. There is no need to say some things, and that's one of them.
    Really? I think it'd still be fun to play multiplayer. If you want to meet up with someone without the PvP risk, go to an earlier sector.

___MeRliN___ likes this.
  18. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

It wouldn't hurt, but then again these "issues" are hypothetical (and barely, at that)

Tamorr likes this.
  19. DJOkamical

DJOkamical Space Kumquat

The chances are low to encounter ANY players in Sector X, lol.

20. LuisChaotrix

LuisChaotrix Phantasmal Quasar

I'll be fine with pvp on x just as long as they add some sort of protection from harming those on your party... like a no-friendly fire clause against those listed in your party... otherwise the party system loses its charm.

Alaster, Serenity, Uxt and 1 other person like this.