1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

In next patch commits: "Force pvp in x sector"

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Raindrac, Jan 24, 2014.

?

Do you like this change?

1. Yes, it adds some difficulty to the sector

162 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. No, especially since it's forced

196 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. It doesn't matter for me, I only play single player

81 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

I agree that is a legitimate concern, but I don't agree that PVP is the reason it is concerning.

2. Cyberguy64

Cyberguy64 Pangalactic Porcupine

That's a good point, actually. I was worried about griefing ruining the experience for others, but if the odds really are so small to find anyone else, you might as well be playing singleplayer for all the good it'll do you to be in PVP.

3. Dakonic

Dakonic Space Hobo

Also, if you can't really stop yourself from killing your mates while you play, you might need some more practice with that sword of yours :p

Tamorr likes this.
  4. Raindrac

Raindrac Existential Complex

Actually, it's pretty easy. You can create a new sector in 9 lines of code. Especially if you reuse said 9 lines of code. This is all done in celestial.config.

5. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

I don't really get how this will effect the servers so greatly. Basically nothing changes, except for the players who seek pvp action.

If you want peace and quiet in X sector, you can pick a random planet. Chance of a random encounter is minimal. You can harvest materials, make a base with friends and such in peace. And seriously, when I go to even the most populated servers I barely see people randomly on higher tier planets. There is also 4 other sectors where you can be, if you want to stay away completely.

I believe that servers will be able to disable pvp at will.

6. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

Actually, the pastebin thing said that if you're in the party, you're considered to be on the same team and won't get hurt by PvP.

Exxil3d and Tamorr like this.
  7. Dakonic

Dakonic Space Hobo

Ah, good to know, thanks! I agree with that, makes it easier to have massive PvP battles!

8. Mizaria

Mizaria Star Wrangler

Well I will say this in favor of forced pvp, at least it isn't also forced "Drop items on death" mode yet.
    At least this way if some unsavory type decides to destroy your space station and take your stuff they won't get it from your corpse.

9. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

For me, I like PvP on the side. I don't actively go out and try to kill every human player I see. However, dating back to the days where i played on PvP servers in WoW, I enjoyed the rush of enemy players have a chance to kill me or visa versa in contested zones :D

krylo likes this.
  10. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

That is IMO supporting "griefing" on multiplayer servers which do not want PvP at all.
    Some people just like the difficulty in sector X but hate pvp.
    Guess I gotta modify my main characters stats "a little" in case I go on multiplayer and play sector X there. Or get something allowing me to "phase out" whenever I want it, wait got that already.
    Means if I do not want to fight some kid but yet it attacks me without my agreement (or propper RP reason or I am on a server where PVP is ok) I turn on that little "addon" and turn literally invincible... just gotta make sure my current version of infinite phasing works for the next version... kinda hating this little "feature" they are going to add already...

11. TheSniperFan

TheSniperFan Subatomic Cosmonaut

You have some valid points but in my opinion arguing about this change at this point is useless.
    We cannot know how much Starbound will change in the future, so we have to look at its current form.
    And to be honest, you don't lose anything by not going into the X-sector because the game ends with the delta sector. The X-sector is nothing but a grind for differently colored armor right now.
    Not that it'll stay like this though.

12. Dakonic

Dakonic Space Hobo

Hopefully the devs will eventually find a way to remove "hacked" characters and items from servers, so things like this don't happen. I'm sure those who can't handle evil space pirates taking their stuff will have plenty of other sectors to play around though!

13. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Totally agreeing with you, in case they are really adding this and I join a random server... Well this game is about freedom, but if people decide to take "their freedom" to fight me without that I want to fight then they get a fight they can impossible win if you know what I mean ;)

14. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

Why not just do it minecraft style? Let the players and communities make the choices.

Ruin likes this.
  15. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

I am not using that to grief or anything. If I go on a NO PVP server and some guy decides to attack me in sector X, then he gets a fight he cannot win. Instead of risking to loose because he might get a critical hit or something I am completly setting his chances to 0.

Plenty of other sectors being too easy then sector X. Delta Sector has BY FAR inferior monsters to sector X.

16. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

For people that hate pvp but still love all other forms of griefing (the kind that is worse imo)

17. DJOkamical

DJOkamical Space Kumquat

"Omg, they're forcing me to pvp. Servers 2 scary naow. I'm so mahd, why thaeyh mk dis chawnge?"

1. No-one is forcing you to pvp.
    2. You'll rarely encounter another player, with the millions of planets available.
    3. Suck it up and quit whining, many of us are going to enjoy this feature, and again, you're not forced to use it.
    4. Git gud.
    5. If you didn't like servers to begin with, why are you on them?
    6. Stop pissing about griefers and idiots. If they bother you that much, start a hamachi server with friends, or play single player.
    7. Get friends.

18. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Instead of adding more options to "grief servers" they should rathre reduce the ways to grief servers. E.g providing a propper server software.

19. Dakonic

Dakonic Space Hobo

PvP in the PvP sector is hardly griefing! It makes space much more realistic though. When you are alone out there there's no one to save you from the evil pirates :D

20. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

I agree. They also shouldn't pin the problem on PvP when it's lack of anti-grief tools

The one planet per sector comment was perfect.

___MeRliN___ likes this.