1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

In next patch commits: "Force pvp in x sector"

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Raindrac, Jan 24, 2014.

?

Do you like this change?

1. Yes, it adds some difficulty to the sector

162 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. No, especially since it's forced

196 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. It doesn't matter for me, I only play single player

81 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

Let me change what you said a bit.

It forces players with crappy gear to fight against greatly geared players that were foolishly, maybe even randomly, invited to the party/planet by that person. If you didn't feel comfortable inviting said player to a non-sector X planet where they are able to grief any structure you've built, it probably wouldn't be smart to do so on a pvp planet.

All that being said, I'm 10000% for having server commands, giving the admins as much control as possible over these types of things.

My prediction is that in the end there'll only be one forced PVP sector that doesn't take away content from those that don't want PVP.

Giles likes this.
  2. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

Whatever happened to those "Astroid/Moon/Space Arena" Ideas?

Xefs likes this.
  3. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

4. Cyberguy64

Cyberguy64 Pangalactic Porcupine

Or, you know, they chanced upon a planet with newbies randomly, or there's a hub planet for the server that the Impervium players terrorize. There are lots of ways this could end badly.

5. liradarc

liradarc Subatomic Cosmonaut

If you pick a random planet to explore, the chances of running into another player (even on the most populous servers), are literally astronomical.

Giles likes this.
  6. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

I'm unfamiliar with this "hub" planet, must be a server mod, but what do you think the chances are of coming across the newbie planet?

Griefers already have the potential to be everywhere, Litigano.

7. Raindrac

Raindrac Existential Complex

I'll quote liradarc here...
    There are billions, maybe even trillions, of planets.

Giles and Serenity like this.
  8. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Couple assumptions:

1) I assume that the PVP crowd for this game is significantly smaller than the PVE crowd for this game.
    2) I assume that "Sector X" will eventually be Threat Level 10 planets, and only Threat Level 10 planets, not the current Sector X.

By making it forced PVP, they are sending a signal to the larger crowd that they don't need to access this content, in Sector X. Even if it is only 10% of the game, that is not going to go over well in the post-WoW gaming era. WoW was all about making content available to larger audiences, or everyone. There are a large number of gamers now that do not believe in exclusivity, and this will not be a good PR move.

The mere thought of griefers will deter at least some players from even trying to experience the content, making T9 "endgame" for some folk, and T10 "endgame" for others. Any "endgame" content will need to be available in both sectors, instead of a universal "endgame" for everyone.

Personally, I don't mind this. I also played EQ1 and as such, can withstand large amounts of tedium, punishment, and quick retribution. It transitions great into the corporate world.

At the same time, I still do not see this as being a popular move, unless it can be disabled by a server admin.

Giles and Serenity like this.
  9. Torren

Torren Ketchup Robot

I didn't realize sector x would have a single planet next patch, cause people seem worried you'll be tracked down and ganked. Anyone know what biome it'll be? I'm betting rainbow.

10. XaoG

XaoG Ketchup Robot

Assuming this is for real, here's my thoughts on it:

Where can I get a refund?

11. Cyberguy64

Cyberguy64 Pangalactic Porcupine

My point is that if people want to grief, they're going to find a way. Never doubt human ingenuity, especially if it's being used for evil.

Serenity likes this.
  12. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

1) I'd assume that too.
    2) I assume that Sector X PVP will be its own sector eventually that is of a similar lvl to the non-pvp, the only difference being pvp-toggle.

I agree. I think that's more (for Starbound currently) because an admin's power is pretty much nothing at this point. Basic server control will fix griefing for the most part....unless they allow it, which is the server admin's choice.

Tamorr and Giles like this.
  13. Dakonic

Dakonic Space Hobo

Excellent! I was hoping we would eventually get a sector that's completely devoted to PvP. That's how the wild space should be!

14. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

It'll probably be underwhelming when you can only find people when you both agree to meet somewhere :p

15. liradarc

liradarc Subatomic Cosmonaut

Pick 'Random' from your navigation computer. Choose any planet that comes up in the selected star system. The chances of another player not in your party exploring the same world is less than a billionth of a percentile. This would be true even if you had 1000 players playing on the same server.

You probably have a higher chance of a gas line exploding under your house while you play Starbound than you have of running into an unexpected Sector X pvp encounter.

Custardsquare, Tamorr and krylo like this.
  16. cjfidler

cjfidler Void-Bound Voyager

I really actually hate this idea. As I only play with one of my friends forcing pvp in end game kinda ruins it for me as then why would we ever explore together? We could get jumped by a random mob and then one of us kill the other on accident which is stupid. Now as a server option that can be toggled I would not mind the idea for large servers.

Kahzel and Akado like this.
  17. Dakonic

Dakonic Space Hobo

Yeah, that's a bit of a pity. But imagine the thrill of wandering through a planet and suddenly noticing a strange construction and saying... "wait, only a real player could have built this! oh *** RUN!"

Jbeetle likes this.
  18. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

In any public server worth going to, there will be groups of people that want to join up with others. They can either broadcast their intentions (inviting any invaders) or they can send PMs (not to be confused with PMS) to anyone interested and hope that said parties are not griefers. Any public gathering planet in Sector X is now always risky, due to the unknown nature of PVP. During off hours, what happens if someone comes over and levels the planetary bar and all the NPCs? Or a group of nocturnal players head over and kill anyone going there?

A different train of thought: If Sector X is just a clone of the PVE Threat Level 10 sector, is that worth implementing? PVP audiences are never a vast majority of the audience, so the devs are still making content that will never be seen by most players... Why would they devote resources to it, whether they are dev hours, copy/paste code sections, or client-side CPU (to check the assets of it in case it's ever used)?

And...as others have said, Sector X is not a single planet. If you want PVP, what makes you think you'll actually find anyone else, unless it's one galactic free-for-all on a broadcasted planet? Do you "enjoy the thrill of the endless hunt"? If you don't, and you only go to the one planet...why ISN'T the entire sector a single planet?

19. Kahzel

Kahzel Big Damn Hero

Nobody sees this. This update kills Co-operative in the X Sector.

Tamorr likes this.
  20. Dakonic

Dakonic Space Hobo

Yes! Isn't that great? If you want to build your space bar in the most dangerous sector of the universe, well, you better have the weapons to defend it :D