1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Avali Race Mod 0.12.4

The only fluffy nomadic space raptors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KuroErin

KuroErin Star Wrangler

The right looks fine to me. I don't really see much problem.

I am very sorry that someone had to be the "Fun Police" about a mod.

2. Nalkari

Nalkari Void-Bound Voyager

same here :)

Btw. Is there any Server where we can be Avali ?^^

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  3. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Prototyping the female sprites, think I'll likely settle with topside stripes to tell them apart - but spots are also on the table.

[​IMG]

This wasn't my original plan/intention, you can see a coloured study/doodle of a female avali here (old pic, slightly out-dated design and style), but you'll notice the patterns are similar to the males, but appear mottled and are simply mottled dots/markings, rather than irridescent bands. The problem is that at starbounds resolution, a marking is a marking there's no fine detail possible, and I can't dictate separate palettes for each gender, males and females share same palette, so people would just colour the females in bright stripes like the males and ask "what's the difference?" xD

So, the female body marks will be a bit more distinctive, with strips perpendicular rather than parallel to the centre-line of the body... or spots... stripes probably the most flexible with the largest range of colours and styles though.

The alternative is that I create the female strips to use the same palette as the upper body feathers, FORCING them to be a darker version of the core feather colour. The problem with this approach is that I don't want to limit people's freedom of creativity, I've already seen some quite wild colour schemes I'd never of thought of doing, and limiting options - even in the name of authenticity - seems to undermine the spirit of starbound... or I could just leave it as is, so females use the same physical patterns as males and I find some other way to define them, like a bushier tail, or even cuter eyes

*sticks a pink ribbon in their plumage and calls it a day*

I've been wondering this too; public ones anyway. I have a tight knit group of friends and one of them runs a server, I'll likely have them throw it up on there eventually, but that's not going to be available to you guys :p

I actually tend to agree with kawa to an extent. I think I've found a good middleground anyway. Looks cleaner than the current one and clsoer to starbound, but retains a little bit extra detail.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    Nalkari likes this.
  4. Nalkari

Nalkari Void-Bound Voyager

I hope to see a public server soon^^

How about giving the females some different hairstyles? ( i know hair is the wrong word here xD )

5. NebulaDK

NebulaDK Void-Bound Voyager

This is officially my favorite mod in Starbound. Right next to the penguin!

RyuujinZERO likes this.
  6. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I've settled on a design for the femvali

[​IMG]

The trim is easily identifiable from a distance, and distinct from the males stripes being perpendicular to them, plus it lends to some fun pattern/colour combos. They'll be going up in tommorow's patch for certain :)

KuroErin, Levrix and Kawa like this.
  7. KuroErin

KuroErin Star Wrangler

I like the design to discern between male and female. Definitely changes up the aspect of "breasts determines the gender."

EDIT: Also I saw the sketch earlier and I am actually a bit curious. Were you planning to add the small detail on the hands and feet to make it look like scales or leaving them as is?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  8. RainbowShy

RainbowShy Pangalactic Porcupine

but we need to make a new one now :(

9. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Hmm? - New what?

New female character?

10. RainbowShy

will it just adapt itself? or stay the same.

11. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

[​IMG]

BTW, how's everyone feel about the eyes making subtle use of the trim colour - like/dislike/didn't notice? :p

RyuujinZERO updated Avali Race Mod with a new update entry:

0.3 - Now with 50% more X chromosones

Read the rest of this update entry...

It'll adjust itself. The "female" you've been using til now was using an outdated version of the male sprite (simply to prevent the game crashing if some derpy decided to click the female option), the new female sprites over-write those, so your character will use the new female appearance

12. legoracer

legoracer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like the idea, but it doesn't work as well with some colors as it does with others.

Is there a limit to how many colors you can have in each palette? If there's room, maybe you could add a color to the trim palette specifically for the eye.

edit: A couple other things I just noticed are that there's a white pixel in the front arm jumping animation and part of the outline for the front hand running animation keeps changing between the darkest outline color and the second darkest. (Oh, and I should mention that this is with the male sprites, now that you've got separate female sprites.)

edit 2: Just realized that the arms are the same on both males and females. :p

13. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Yah, that's what I was planning doing if people objected to the couple of exceptions (notably pure black which doesn't play so nice), by adding a couple new swap rules to the trim colours

14. KuroErin

KuroErin Star Wrangler

I also like the idea. It looks a bit weird on the subtlety but I do like the idea.

15. gp2.eXe

gp2.eXe Phantasmal Quasar

Just discovered this mod a little while ago, I've been holding off on race mods so far but this one I will definitely give a try, it looks pretty cool and I love the lore that goes with them. Now that I reached endgame with all vanilla races I want to try something different and this is awesome. Really great job, looking forward to starting my Avali char now! :DD

16. PringerZer0

PringerZer0 Yeah, You!

The game crashes when I try to load up an Avali character. Sounds like it's working for everyone else though...?

Error from starbound.txt:
    Error: UniverseServer exception caught: AssetException: Could not read variant value /quests/quests.config:initialquests.avali
    caused by: VariantException: No such key in Variant::get("avali") in query("initialquests.avali")

Help please.

17. legoracer

I take it you have other mods installed? If so, try removing all of them except for the Avali mod and see if that works.

18. PringerZer0

PringerZer0 Yeah, You!

Ah. Yeah, that was it. Thanks.

19. RainbowShy

I like the new ship, and the coloration, but the stripes... Shrugs, they may grow on me, we'll see.

Edit: I know what it is, it's hard to see her eyes with the white strips. I think that's it. The tail stripes are neat.

20. legoracer

I have some suggestions regarding the positioning of the front arm.

In the frontarm.png file, move the sprite for the rotation one pixel to the right, the sprite for the idle melee one pixel to the left, and all the sprites for the running animation one pixel to the left. It helps. :) (Make sure to move the sprites for the running animation on the armor sleeves too.)

edit: Also, I suggest darkening a pixel on the neck of the running and jumping animations so that bright pixel doesn't stand out so much, like so:
    running.jpg

edit 2: Ryuujin, should I just go ahead and attach the files I made changes to? (I adjusted the armor sleeve positions for both tier 1 and 2 that correspond to the changes I made to the front arm sprites.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.