1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Kawa's xbawks-mode character creator 3.8.1

T̶w̶e̶n̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶i̶x̵ thirty-six oughta be enough for now.

1. Aidan

Aidan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Alright so you probably saw this coming..please do not get mad, but I have an error and I'll explain everything. I did everything right installing everything.

Dragonball race
    Felin
    halfwarp
    kangaru
    ningen
    betanovakid
    varan
    vulpes

All successfully were installed I made a character of each also successfully and went to test them out. : ) I can get on my regular race characters perfectly fine but any time I try and load a character from one of the custom races I get Client-server connection no longer valid. I know this probably an easy to fix error, so I am asking for your assistance kindly. :rofl: I am sorry again for bothering you.

2. CouchSquid

CouchSquid Void-Bound Voyager

how do you make incompatible character mods compatible with this because it is clearly the best out there!

3. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Thank you. Any species mod versioned to Angry Koala should already be compatible with this and similar mods.

On earlier versions, they'd have their own charcreation.config file to add a button and list their label captions. They'd also have hardcoded index numbers that you'd need to change. Also, player.config had to list the species.

On Angry Koala, the label captions moved to the .species file, and instead of an index, they specify "playerSpecies" : true. Buttons in the character creation window are now handled by extenders, like this one or Xander Kau's. "playerSpecies" basically makes Starbound assign index numbers dynamically. Only the six built-in species remain fixed, as everybody has those. And unless the mod uses player.config to for example add items to all species, you don't need to include that file if all you do there is add to the species list.

End result: if the mods aren't made by someone who didn't get the memos, you should be able to just get an extender and start dropping in species mods until you finally run out of space. Obviously, if you don't use an extender (or remove it later) you'll only have six buttons and they're all taken. It may not look like it, but things are still working: if you were to for example have a species mod that includes a village, you'd still be able to find them. The same happens when you have an extender with only so many buttons and install too damn many species: the first 32 (for example, and that includes the default six) appear fine, but the 33rd simply cannot appear in the character creator. Solution: stop hoarding.

This also means that when the Novakids are released -- the real ones, not the cheap imitations -- that you shouldn't need to change anything. The Novakids get fixed index 6, and the custom species remain dynamically indexed.

As for you...

As for you!

You must be one of those "psychic powers are real" types, thinking I can guess which of the four or five underlying reasons it might be for you to get that error. "Explain everything", you say? "I get Client-server connection no longer valid" explains nothing, Jon Snow!
    You'll like to know that I'm tripping up my copy of Starbound on purpose to catalogue all sorts of species mod related errors. I've documented three different causes of the client-server connection error, and they all have almost the same cause.

This next part should go in a FAQ somewhere, it's kinda important to noobs and authors alike.
    If your game hangs and gives you a "client-server connection no longer valid" error, exit the game and open starbound.log. There are three causes known to me at this time that can cause this error, and they're all alike.
    In each case, the basic cause is similar, and the fix almost identical.
    • If the log file contains, near the end, "UniverseServer exception caught: VariantException: No such key in Variant::get("species you tried to load")", the problem is the ship structure list in universe_server.config.
    • If it contains "UniverseServer exception caught: AssetException: Could not read variant value /quests/quests.config:initialquests.species caused by", the problem is (as indicated) in quests/quests.config.
    • If it contains "UniverseServer exception caught: AssetException: Could not read variant value /codex/codex.config:initialcodex.species caused by", it's codex/codex.config.
    What you should do now is go through your species mods' copies of the problematic file you just determined and see which one is not using __merge. When you find one, adapt it to use __merge and continue. Look below for an example if you need one.
    If you are not the author of the broken mod, and the author has not already been informed that their mod is broken, inform them. Be thorough when checking if they've been informed -- you don't want to be annoying.

Correct copy of universe_server.config:
    Code:
    {
    "__merge" : [],
    "speciesShips" : {
    "arsehat" : "/ships/arsehat/dropship.structure"
    }
    }
    Incorrect copy:
    Code:
    {
    "mainWakeupInterval" : 100,
    "clockUpdatePacketInterval" : 500,
    "clientWaitLimit" : 40000,
    "updateMeasureWindow" : 60000,
    "storageTriggerInterval" : 60000,
    "maxBehindUpdates" : 30,

"connectionTimeout" : 60000,
    "socketTimeout" : 60000,

"worldInactiveShutdown" : 30000,

"speciesShips" : {
    "apex" : "/ships/apex/dropship.structure",
    "avian" : "/ships/avian/dropship.structure",
    "floran" : "/ships/floran/dropship.structure",
    "human" : "/ships/human/dropship.structure",
    "hylotl" : "/ships/hylotl/dropship.structure",
    "glitch" : "/ships/glitch/dropship.structure",
    "arsehat" : "/ships/arsehat/dropship.structure"
    }
    }
    TL;DR: STARBOUND.LOG IS YOUR FRIEND.

4. WarfinMarf

WarfinMarf Void-Bound Voyager

I need help when i install this mod it doesnt work it comes up as a paper and i have to select one of my installed programs to read it. Help anyone??

5. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Get WinRAR or something. It's just another popular archive format, like ZIP. Note that WinRAR can also do ZIP. Very well too, for regular use.

6. WarfinMarf

7. WarfinMarf

so when i get winrar it will let me use the mod

8. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

If it didn't, I wouldn't bloody well suggest you get it, would I?

9. WarfinMarf

does it mean i got it if it says xbox on the mod folder

10. WarfinMarf

soo how do i get the dragonballsb mod

11. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I don't think you should attempt to use mods. At all. And I'm not too certain about you using a PC.

Besides, I am not responsible for the dragonballsb mod, nor am I in any way shape or form obligated to give any answer that isn't overly snarky and/or dismissive.

12. Mr.Green

Mr.Green Space Hobo

13. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Yeah that's totes wrong yo.

You'll notice the extender is like this:
    • xbawkschargen32.rar
      • \xbox
        • xbox.modinfo
        • \interface
          • \title
            • charactercreation.png
          • \windowconfig
            • charcreation.config
    The Felins archive is similar in structure, with everything in a felins root folder.

You want those two folders, xbox and felins, as folders in your mods folder. There shouldn't be any files but mods_go_here in there, only more folders.

14. Mr.Green

Mr.Green Space Hobo

so sry if i ask cause im not that good in english what should i do now that i got your mods too work

15. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Enjoy them, of course.

16. Mr.Green

Mr.Green Space Hobo

nah xD your missunderstand me i mean "what should i do now, that i got your mods too work" but i got it now.

Ps i love your feline race

Kawa likes this.
  17. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Like I said: you enjoy them!

18. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

19. LunaraGK

LunaraGK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't understand at all how one's suppose to add species to this for character creation. The wall of text is intimidating, and I understand none of what is in the file. I have no idea what to add, where to add, or how.

20. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

What wall of text?

You just unpack the species mods into \starbound\mods, just like this thing. That's it, you're done.