1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Avali Race Mod 0.12.4

The only fluffy nomadic space raptors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BitHorizon

BitHorizon Ketchup Robot

"32 Reviews? No, that can't be right. That has to be the update tab or something".
    [​IMG]
    Nice work.

RyuujinZERO likes this.
  2. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

LOL, I love the gif, mind if I make use of that on the forum? :p

You and me both are amazed at the rate this mod has gotten feedback, even more so in that it's an original race, and not a stock character trope like MLP.

3. Nikolay Debroh

Nikolay Debroh Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There is no download link?

This race looks amazing!!!

4. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

5. KuroErin

KuroErin Star Wrangler

Also I noticed with the energy shield. Whichever arm has the shield equipped it disappears when facing opposite.

ex.(When facing right and your shield arm is the left it disappears until you turn the other way). Not sure if that's supposed to happen or not.

6. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

It is. The "shield" device is actually mounted on a band around your upper arm, I could put a couple pixels to show the far side of the band, but it's not something noticable.

7. KuroErin

KuroErin Star Wrangler

Ok just checking. Aside from that everything checks out.

8. legoracer

legoracer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm a little confused. Does that mean the neck change is a good one now that their muzzles are shorter, or a bad change? :/

Launch was, what, only two days ago? I wouldn't call two days neglect. The only reason I did anything with the sprites was because I really liked them and wanted to see if I could help out. :)

Which brings me to ask, since I saw the new "Mod Assets Permissions" rule and you haven't objected to the alterations I've done so far, do I have that permission? (Not the redistribution part, just the altering part.)

9. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

The neck was a good one, I hadn't noticed that the head pivots forward in those animations, so I needed to bend the neck forward too, what meant was that now the muzzle is shorter, the movements of the neck are more noticable, and therefore important to get right

The "altering" bit is a little heavy handed wording on the devs part, I don't mind people modifying content, I just don't want them re-uploading anything; at least not yet anyway, once the mod is more-or-less complete people can rehash it all they like I just don't want the same situation to arise i had with 28 days and a bit in Oblivion, where people kept modifying it and by the end there was like 5 versions, and people would mail me about bugs in other people's versions, that i fixed long ago in the official version due to the difference in builds.

Of course, I'd discourage you from doing too much work on the sprites yourself as your version will always be a step behind my copy, just point out potential changes if they're bugging you and/or provide an example :p

10. legoracer

Ah, I see. I definitely understand not wanting to have multiple versions floating around out there.

Yup. And that will be especially true now that you're going to be focusing more on the character sprites.

If you don't mind me asking, are you going to be focusing more on the base sprites or the clothing for this next update?

Oh, also, I noticed that the malebody sprite sheet still has white pixels here and there and forgot to mention that I had fixed that in the sprite sheet I gave you.

11. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Base sprites.; My next goal is to finish polishing up the male sprites then modify them to create the female sprites.

12. dark lord derpy

dark lord derpy Big Damn Hero

What are your plans for the female sprite?

13. Raindrac

Raindrac Existential Complex

Congrats on being the 5th in the top mod list in just 2 days. Now that's a feat.
    You mod has even surpassed every other race mod.
    Good job, man.

[​IMG]

By the way, here is an adjusted ship file. The only difference is that there is a light outline around the walls.
    This cleans up an issue I had with the ship, which was that the inside of the ship seemed cut out. Adding a white line which is similar to the one that the Apex ship has clears this up nicely.

14. legoracer

I don't think it needs the line all the way across the bottom, just something in that lower left-hand side because, yes, that part does look out of place without some sort of border there.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  15. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Yeah that's too blatent that line, and doesn't fit ith the style I'm shooting for. I'm a little undecided how to approach that corner or whether it'd bother people; the other walls as you can see are designed to look like a cut-away of the hull forming a natural edge of the interior. The problem is that in that bottom left corner, the engine and it's mounting are significant ways into the foreground; in a perfect world I'd have those appear in front of the player, but alas that isn't an option; I could make a cut-away through them too but you'd have to go hella deep and it might look odd

While we're speaking of ships:

Attention!
    Has anyone else had problems with being unable to build in front of the cargo doors or in the ceiling space, but able to build in the cockpit area? - I had a report from someone suggesting their definitions for the buildable/non buildable areas were flipped.

The females are supposed to have more muted tones than the males, and speckled markings rather than stripes. (Rather like birds) At least that was my original plan, and the canon lore on them.

However, you can't define the palette per-gender, and, people seem to REALLY like painting their avali crazy colours, so... I guess they're just going to end up looking spotty ;)

16. legoracer

Everything seems to be working fine for me.

RyuujinZERO likes this.
  17. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Alrighty, little question for folks - increasingly the avali spritework is shifting towards a more detailed look, but away from the stock starbound look which is quite a bit simpler (strong far-side outline, paler near-side, highlights/shading used very sparing if at all. Mostly block-colour)

[​IMG]

(left = starbound, right = current position)

A few folks have airred that while the sprites are good, they don't feel "starbound" enough, so would folks rather a shift back to the left for the final polish?

18. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Ahahahahaha left please

19. dark lord derpy

dark lord derpy Big Damn Hero

Well you did say they were approaching technological singularity, perhaps many females have decided to be more extravagant and the gender lines have started to blur over the years, with technologies such as cloning and genetic engineering, gender may not have any social importants anymore

20. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

As the in-game codices will explain, gender was already fairly limited of importance, they're anatomically a LOT like birds (go look up bird reproduction or send me a PM if the relevance of that is unclear :p), and offspring are raised as a pack effort rather than dumped on the females alone. Still, the original lore I had planned actually says that though feather dyes are a thing," females using bright colours often end up the butt of jokes as dyeing their feathers bright pink makes them look masculine" [humourous reversal on human culture where wearing bright pink would be considered girly]

However, I'm keeping an open mind on some social aspects of lore, the way people've actually used the avali have at times taken me by surprise, like I've seen some really interesting colour combos I'd never have considered

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.