1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Avali Race Mod 0.12.4

The only fluffy nomadic space raptors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Very odd. Try backing up and deleting your shipworld file (in /players), this'll force it to regenerate the avali dropship. If it doesn't work then something is blocking universe config, you could also look in /ships/avali/ and check that the dropshipblocks and dropship.structure files are all there

2. KeyanPrice

KeyanPrice Void-Bound Voyager

As a non-humanoid race how do the other clothing in the game react when worn by the Avali and the Avali armor worn by different races? I'm considering working with custom races and I do not see a way, at least currently in the game, to get around the clothing mechanics.

Did you discover some kind of setting for this, or are you dealing with the clothing incompatibility in hopes of a chucklefish update?

Everything looks really good and detailed for a non-humanoid race.

3. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

As you guess humanoid standard clothing doesn't fit them, it just looks weird.

For now, I've given the avali characters a set of "invisible" clothing in their starter kit which they can wear in the vanity slot to "hide" inappropriate appearances (ie. copper, silver, gold armour), while their racial clothing and armour is tailored to fit their body plan, and of course once they get racial clothing/armour crafted they can use that gear in their vanity slots. I'm hoping in the long run they add a sub-folders for clothing so you can place alternative sets inside the clothing folders, but I'm not holding my breath and so far nobody seems to mind the current system.

4. StarBrethren

StarBrethren Phantasmal Quasar

Excellent mod! I've shown it to my YouTube Community with a Mod Showcase! Can't wait to see its completion!

5. KuroErin

KuroErin Star Wrangler

Also just noticed that whenever I used the grappling hook the boots disappear from the armor.

6. Fuufuu

Fuufuu Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'd really like to see alternative.. but.. right now, its asking too much xD; your mod isn't even "complete" yetX3

7. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Pop quiz:
    Are people happy with all colours being available in all slots. Or would you guys prefer that I reign in the more extreme colours (like neon pink or neon green) on the underbelly fluff. I ask because randomly generated avali right now end up looking like mardi-gras mascots, when they're meant to be a bit more muted; naturally they're supposed to be white/grey/sandy/brown, with bright stripes, the neon colours represent feather-dyes which seem more like the exception than the rule on paper.

Ossum, thanks for the coverage ^ ^ - though I do have a few corrections to the commentary ;)

Firstly, as the download says, females are not actually implemented yet, the difference in appearance simply stems from the fact they use an older version of the male sprites (Which i put there to stop the game crashing if people click the female tab). Secondly the character creation dependency is simply because you need a character creation extension to play custom races; it doesn't have to be that specific one, just that is the cleanest and least cluttered extension mod, any creation extender will do.

Well caught, I forgot to export the swimming frames for the boots. (The dangling frame on grappling hook is actually the 'bobbing' swim frame

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  8. StarBrethren

StarBrethren Phantasmal Quasar

Ah that makes sense. As far as the dependencies go, I'm talking to a couple thousand subscribers so I prefer to just keep it simple : )

9. KuroErin

KuroErin Star Wrangler

Oh ok well that explains that. As far as colors they are fine. Wouldn't mind a bit more underbelly fluff color.

10. legoracer

legoracer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

A couple of new issues I found as of the latest update:

1. The highlight color for the neon-pink feathers isn't the right color.
    2. The head armor needs to be updated to fit the new head sprites.

avali.png

I do like the new heads, though. :)

I was just looking at the concept art and had a thought: what if you tried adding one or both of the other ears that are supposed to be on the other side of the head? Would that help to make it look more like it's at a 3/4 angle?

edit: Oh, and the chest armor needs its "proud/confident" pose sprite fixed so that it fully covers the chest.

edit2: Hope you don't mind, but I decided to try my hand at adding another "ear" to the head. What do you think?
    avali_head_new.png

edit3: Hm, after some testing, it doesn't look that great when the character is running. Is there a way to make it so that the game uses a different sprite for the head when you're running?

edit4: So, okay, looks like it's only a problem when your character isn't wearing armor. I wonder if the body sprites need to be tweaked?

11. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Thanks! - They go on the list, should be fixed in tonight's update. (Which'll also see a whole new ship added!)

That looks really good, *tests on my end too*

EDIT: Yeah second they start running it looks weird, which is why I suspect i omitted the far-side ear in the first place.

Unfortunatly not, one head to rule them, one head to find them, one head to bring them and in the darkness bind them :p

Possibly; I can't say I'm fond of the games love of using rigid sprites for the chest armour and head models

12. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I don't think it's too bad myself. I can certainly imagine why they did it...

13. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Once I finish polishing up the bugs people identified in the last version I'll be putting up a new patch with the first itteration of a new little toy that's been taking up most of my build time the last couple of days. It's a clever illusion, but the ship has just as much interior space as any other ship. for those who want to live in their ship.

[​IMG]

Nalkari and Kawa like this.
  14. legoracer

legoracer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The ship is looking great! :)

And again, I hope you don't mind, but I've made the adjustments to the neck on the walking, running and jumping animations as well as made a tiny change on the "front arm" (first frame in the running animation) and adjusted the "proud" pose for the tier 2 armor sprite:
    malebody.png
    frontarm.png
    chestm.png

If you'd prefer me to stop changing the sprites, just let me know. I don't want to make you feel like I'm taking over. ;)

15. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Lol that really is a tiny change on the front arm, 2 pixels xD - thanks for addressing the neck slope, I hadn't looked that closely at which animations move the head forward and which don't, but now their muzzle (appears) shorter that matters more.

Anyway, now the ship is done I'll be back to putting the focus on finishing polishing the males and then implementing females properly. I know it looks like I've been neglecting the characters and gear since launch but that's only because I've been working on the ship ^^

16. Fuufuu

Fuufuu Subatomic Cosmonaut

MMmmhn.. Seeing more colors is definitely welcome for me. Thats my opinion xD !

17. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

RyuujinZERO updated Avali Race Mod with a new update entry:

0.2 - New dropship!

Read the rest of this update entry...

In before "my ship is messed up, how do I fix it?"

18. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

19. KuroErin

KuroErin Star Wrangler

This was just a random thought I had while messing around with some of the instruments but, are there any particular ones they might prefer like an instrument they may craft themselves?

20. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I had indeed pondered that, given their exceptional hearing, and cultural importance of sound it seems like music would be a big thing to them. (I had thought about giving them a random instrument in their starter gear)

At the end of the day though, which instrument would humans craft or choose? - obvious answer is "all of them or none of them", all the instruments in the game were invented by man. It's easy to say "Well they started out as hunters so native instruments would be stuff made from tendons, hide, ivory, horn" but, humans did too and we've moved on a long way as technology has opened up options like synthesizers and electric guitars, and avali are a much more advanced civilisation than man.

So maybe if they were to have a "racial instrument" it'd be something completely unique and off the rails, like a synthesiser/mixer with a haptic, holographic interface (Might add something like that myself :p)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.