1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Dead Squirrel's Firefly 1.0 Enraged Koala

Firefly/Serenity playership - "You paid money for this, sir? On purpose?"

1. eris.control

eris.control Void-Bound Voyager

You know, you could put the exterior of the ship on a foreground layer and let placed blocks overlap the diagonal ceiling areas and they'd be hidden behind it. It'd look a lot better IMO than having empty spaces that can't be filled. A hypothetical dropship.structure might look like this:

Code:
    {
      "backgroundOverlays" : [
        {
          "image" : "fireflyshipinterior.png",
          "position" : [0, 0]
        }
      ],

"foregroundOverlays" : [
        {
          "image" : "fireflyshipexterior.png",
          "position" : [0, 0]
        }
      ],

"blockImage" : "fireflyshipblocks.png",

}
    I'll make an edit to demonstrate what I mean if you want. I'm making one for my own use anyways.

Dead Squirrel likes this.
  2. Dead Squirrel

Dead Squirrel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks! I just discovered this too. It's up and running in v0.8 but I haven't released it officially yet (It's in a forum post if you want to take a gander).

3. Dead Squirrel

Dead Squirrel updated Dead Squirrel's Firefly with a new update entry:

Customization update!

Read the rest of this update entry...

eris.control likes this.
  4. Poetricks

Poetricks Intergalactic Tourist

Any pictures of the updated ship?
    Maybe a stripped out version?

5. Dead Squirrel

I've been working on a pc with limited resources that hardly runs the game. I want to update the pics but it'll have to wait till I get to my home pc. By "stripped out" did you mean empty? Or a demo of the customization features?

EDIT: 1000 downloads! Thanks so much for all the positive feedback everyone. I never thought this mod would stir much interest. :D

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  6. Patchumz

Patchumz Pangalactic Porcupine

This is too awesome. Post-wipe Firefly adventures will be the. best. ever.

7. kittentamer

kittentamer Existential Complex

I know, right? I'm mostly messing with the Big Box of Loot to tide me over until the wipe. Then, you can't take the sky away from me!
    ...I wonder if we can add that soundtrack to the ship...xD

8. Poetricks

Poetricks Intergalactic Tourist

Well any picture what shows what is different now, is good for me.

9. pattymelts

pattymelts Tentacle Wrangler

Just got this after the wipe, it's beautiful! Question: if I'm on a server, how exactly can I make it so my fellow players can actually see the ship? Is it just a matter of having them install the mod (and in this case renaming the human folder to floran, probably)? I love it and I want to share it, so something like a step-by-step tutorial would be greatly appreciated if you're able.

10. Dead Squirrel

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I believe you need the server to have this ship installed just to be able to join. (I have custom objects and blocktype which the server won't know)

But then, yes, other players would also need the mod installed, or at the very least have the two image .pngs in the race you're using. (fireflyship and fireflyforeground)

EDIT: If you play on a private server, I can set up a compatibility mod for you. Something with the necessary objects/material and a .png in each race's ship folder. Then other players can use whatever ship they want.

Also, SickBoy was working on a pretty sweet all-vanilla-assets firefly, but isn't finished yet. That one would work on any old server, and everyone can see the ship.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/...nity-custom-starter-ship-micro-dungeon.54112/

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  11. pattymelts

I'm able to join the server with only me having the mod, although Wash's dinosaurs disappeared. Everything else on the ship seems to work fine except that my friends get kicked if they try to beam onto Serenity.
    I do play on a private server, and if you're willing, a compatibility mod would be great! I'm assuming that would be installed on the server itself?

12. Dead Squirrel

Yes, on the server, but also for your friends if they're joining your ship. Have it right up ...

EDIT: All set!
    Install the compatibility patch for players who want to see the ship but not use it, and for players who want to see a non-human-character's ship. If you can get the server to install the patch, then objects and invisible walls will not be removed on joining the server.

Also, the compatibility patch can be installed with or without the mod and it does not change a player's starting ship.

Have fun!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  13. pattymelts

Thank you so much! This is incredibly helpful. You really are a big damn hero.

14. Dead Squirrel

Hey hey hey!
    Anyone watching this thread: I'm working on the ships thrusters - the big glowing tail. Do ya'll want the tail to have a constant glow, or only light up when FTL is engaged?

It would look sweet to have a persistent effect, but the movie/tvshow firefly only glowed when the main engine was engaged.

15. kittentamer

Maybe a mild glow when not in FTL and it light up like crazy with FTL? I mean, it would take a little bit of engine power to maintain orbit, right? =P

16. Dead Squirrel

Cool, thanks! That's what I'm leaning towards too. Plus "light up like crazy" ... I shall make it vomit rainbows just for you ;)

pattymelts likes this.
  17. kittentamer

Uh, no. I'm not big on vomitted rainbows. How about just as much as it does with the Crazy Ivan? xD

18. Dead Squirrel

So, destroy a planets atmosphere on every FTL? Sweet!

Ifrix likes this.
  19. PITSteelers

PITSteelers Big Damn Hero

Can I use it in multiplayer without being invisible to my friends?

20. Dead Squirrel

Sorry, no, you can't. But if you can get your friends to install the compatibility patch, they'll have the images and objects without effecting their ships in any way.