Modding Discussion Firefly/Serenity "Big Box of Loot" collaboration

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Dead Squirrel, Jan 1, 2014.

?

Who's the most important damn character to get done?

Poll closed Jan 8, 2014.
  1. Cpt. Mal

98 vote(s)
    58.0%
  2. Jayne

19 vote(s)
    11.2%
  3. Wash

12 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Zoe

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. Kaylee

12 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. Simon

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  7. River

11 vote(s)
    6.5%
  8. Inara

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  9. Shepard Book

7 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. Dead Squirrel

Dead Squirrel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

RELEASED!
    "You want a slinky dress? I can buy you a slinky dress. Captain, can I have money for a slinky dress?"

Check it out: Firefly's Big Box of Loot Collaboration

Still has a bunch to come, but the first wave is available. KittenTamer will be updating the mod as new items get added.

What's this all about?
    I'm an mad Firefly fan. And I love the idea of bringing the Firefly Universe into Starbound. But I it would be easier to do as a collaborated effort, with other modders adding what things they can come up with.

So! I'm starting this thread to pull anyone who's interested in adding sprites or code to an "Item and Clothing Firefly-mod". Other things can be added down the line too (Like Reaver random-encounters) but you gotta start somewhere.

Even if no one else jumps in, I'll still keep updating this with what I can come up with. Once enough items are in the list, I'll post the mod for download.

On with the loots!
    Post if you want something added. If you have a mod made or in the works, I'll add you in! Not everything here may be made, and not everything to be made is in the list.
    Green = done (Though alternate versions are still welcome)
    Yellow = under construction (someone's working on this, but it's not done yet)
    Grey = needs to be made

Jayne Cobb:

• Jayne Hat (Dead Squirrel)
    [​IMG]

• Jayne shirt/pants
      • Vera - Jayne's very favoritest gun (KittenTamer)
    Cpt. Malcolm Reynolds:

• Hair - tupe, for non-humans
      • Browncoat outfit (FoolsPower)
      • Suspender outfit - no coat (Kittentamer)
      • Mal's Pistol
      • Mal's pretty, floral Bonnet (Thanks for that pic, Gravel110)
    Zoe Washburne:

• Sawn-off Shotgun
    Hoban "Wash" Washburne:

• Hawaiian outfit
    Inara Serra:

• Dress (kittentamer)
    [​IMG]
    Kaylee Frye:

• Mechanic outfit (kittentamer)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9n07mmcdyy4wrhy/Kaylee-Jumpsuit.gif

• Fluffy dress - "You look like a sheep on your hind legs ... " (FoolsPower + KittenTamer)
      • Umbrella - backpack item (FoolsPower / KittenTamer / Ifrix)
    Simon Tam:
    River Tam:

• "Stick" gun
      • Dual Axes One axe, one sword :D
    Derrial "Shepherd" Book:

• "Critical mass" hair
    Other/Generic/Pipedreams (May not be added, or may be added much further down the line)

• Spacesuits
      • Bountyhunter
      • Opperative + Sword
      • Jaynetown Statue
      • Ground-speeder-thing as cartech

EDIT: updated for version 2014-01-04

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    mo'guts and Zero127 like this.
  2. buzzmonolith

buzzmonolith Space Spelunker

Hm...

Sounds like a plan.

An awesome gorram plan!

3. kittentamer

kittentamer Existential Complex

I'm going to have to read up on how to mod now so I can try to help! In the meantime, should the weapons be set up as crafting patterns of various levels so you can have a maxed out Vera late game but also a level 1 version earlier on? I'm guessing the clothes will be vanity items.

<edit> Idea! Maybe you could add loot to the ship, being patterns to make the various level items. So you can have the pattern to make the level 10 Vera, but you can't make her until you get Imperium? =P

4. kittentamer

My boyfriend is great at thinking from a different angle then me. A few unintentional suggestions:
    When you inspect the dinosaurs: "Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
    I was talking about the costumes: Does he want NPCs? Can you imagine? A Simon spawner, aka doctor spawner? Kaylee from the tool spawner. Book for the veggies guy? Not sure how to do that, but I'm sure there is a way! ^^

<edit> For the weapons text:
    Mal's Pistol: "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
    Zoe's Sawed Off: "If they take the ship they will rape us to death, eat our flesh, and sew our skins in to their clothing, and if we're very, very lucky, they’ll do it in that order." or "First rule of battle, little one ... don't ever let them know where you are."
    Vera (obvious here):
    River's Stick gun: "No power in the 'verse can stop me." or "Put a bullet to me. Bullet in the brain pan. Squish."
    River's Dual Axes: "You take care of me, Simon. You've always taken care of me. My turn."

For Outfit text:
    Jayne Hat (if you don't have it already): "Man walks down the street in a hat like that, you know he's not afraid of anything ... "
    Jayne Shirt: "Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."
    Jayne Pants: "Ten percent of nothin' is ... let me do the math here ... nothin' into nothin' ... carry the nothin' ... "
    Mal Suspender: "Yes sir, Captain Tightpants!"
    Wash Hawaiian: "Every man there go back inside or we will blow a new crater in this little moon." or "I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."
    Kaylee Mechanic: "Okay, now I can't get down."
    Kaylee Dress: you have that one already. =P
    Book Hair: "If you'd *prefer* a lecture, I've a few very catchy ones prepped. Sin and hellfire. One has lepers." or "He's putting the hair away now. (second line)It doesn't matter... it'll still be there... waiting."
    Inara Dress: "Every well-bred petty crook knows that the small, concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting."
    River Dress: "Also? I can kill you with my brain."

If you can't tell, I'm pretty psyched about this. =P

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
    Dead Squirrel likes this.
  5. madsabroo

madsabroo Poptop Tamer

I would love to see the rainbow parasol as one of those items you can have sticking off your back. One of Inara's gowns would be nice, too, since there aren't many flashy dresses in the game.

6. kittentamer

Now that I'm done being all nerdy, I'll start working on Kaylee's mechanic overalls?

<edit>
    Okay, here goes!
    Kaylee-Jumpsuit.gif
    Source files: see inara further into the thread. ^^
    This is my first time making a sprite, I hope you like!

<yet another edit>
    I've been working on how to make recipes, and I finally got it to work right! Now Kaylee is a weaving loom starting recipe. ^^

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  7. kittentamer

Yeah, I'm going nuts on this. Working on Inara's dress now. =P

8. HeroIcarus

HeroIcarus Void-Bound Voyager

I'm completely uninitiated into the Firefly franchise, but I have a friend who is very much a fan of Firefly. I'll pass this thread on.

9. Dead Squirrel

Nice list there, thanks! I had thought about spawners. I have a Firefly ship mod out, and filling it with NPC crew would rock my world - just have to look into how it's done.

Oh, nice! I was just thinking it would be a held item, but backpack is rather brilliant. Might even make it affect the player - like slowing falling.

That's beautiful! So fast! Ghirdamn!

kittentamer likes this.
  10. kittentamer

Thanks! I was a bit worried it didn't look good enough. I really get running when I get excited about things. I'm mostly done Inara, just working on the skirt (Ruttin' skirt is so much to do!)

11. SpectreOne

SpectreOne Starship Captain

Just for fun, when Wash walks up to the Captain's chair it says "I'm a leaf on the wind" or when left alone he starts daydreaming and talking to himself. And the dinosaur thing mentioned earlier as well would definitely be a must for Wash.

I'm on board. I'll see what I can do about Wash's shirt. I think I'll do the bluish one he wore on the hospital job on Ariel. I believe He had two or three different ones that I can remember.

How do you add lines to people characters? I'm kinda curious, because some of these guys are going to need a extended vocabulary list with all the Chinese and odd word uses. I say odd, but It is one of the biggest things to stand out versus other sci-fi shows.
    [​IMG]

kittentamer likes this.
  12. kittentamer

Alright, Inara is done...I'm tempted to try and add off-the-shoulder sleeves, but the sleeve pieces are so hard to tell what's what in the files.

Inara.gif
    Source files (updated from before, so Inara and Kaylee): Attached. Didn't realise I could do that until just now. xD

That's all for tonight! I think tomorrow I might make River's outfit from the movie Serenity, but tonight, I must sleep! ^^

Any requests while my steam is pumping tomorrow? I'm really enjoying this!

<edit> Forgot to set the recipe to actual play values rather then test values. 1 plant fiber doesn't make a whole gown! lol.

Attached Files:

mo'guts and Dead Squirrel like this.
  13. FoolsPower

FoolsPower Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hey DeadSquirrel

I was working on a clothing mod myself, but I'v become quite busy since I decided to start work on it, and sadly can't finish it anymore. I think it'll be fitting if you're the guy that does all the firefly stuff considering how big your ship mod has gotten (btw, i posted it to reddit and it got to the front page :D) So you can use the browncoat I created a few weeks ago if you like. https://www.dropbox.com/s/cy8wqp88tvuu5rl/mal.zip

here's what it looks like, pants include.
    [​IMG]

Also if you're thinking about adding NPCs, it might be a bit tough but I'v had an idea. Right now, from what I can tell, spawners spawn completely random NPC based on the type of spawner. For example, a spawner might spawn a human with purple hair and dark skin. then it might spawn a human with red hair and light skin

because of this, it would be hard to make a (for example) river spawner, that makes it so it looks like river every time you use the spawner. So, my idea is, make a head, chest and leg item that make the character look like the NPC you want to spawn. and make the NPC spawn with those items equipped (i believe that's possible from a quick glance at the code)

This way, you can guarantee that each time you use the specific spawner, it will spawn the character you want. or at least make it look like the character you want.

Edit: Also just mocked up Kaylee's dress. No recipes or anything. Used the wedding dress item already in game and recoloured it. Doesn't looks exactly like the dress she had though
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ey3ibfrr85v3ab7/kaylee.zip
    [​IMG]

mo'guts, The | Suit and Dead Squirrel like this.
  14. VIcariousViking

VIcariousViking Void-Bound Voyager

When will this be released?

15. Dead Squirrel

Awesome! I'll add you in. I'm sure if we can get spawners working, we can get customized lines for the Chars. Looks like we'd just need to make a new "npcType". And NPC types have all the lines of speech characters say to each of the 6 races.

That's impressive, again! Since you have a running start on the women, could you fluff up FoolsPower's Kaylee dress? Else Mal is the most requested character, so a suspender-suit would be good.

Nice, Power, thanks! I'll add your stuff in. That kaylee dress is good. Gonna just add some frills and layer the colors some more.

Probably not soon (At least a week to first release).

That said, I haven't been able to work on my own sprites, my Firefly ship mod has been taking a bunch of time to patch up. I'll get time freed up for this as soon as that's stable.

16. kittentamer

Almost done Kaylee, just testing it out now to make sure it works. I have been inspired to try my own mod, so my attention is going to be split, but I can definitely do Mal's suspender suit soon. (probably today. =P)

<edit> Here we go!
    FireflyCostumes.gif

I've been making the zip files working mods, testing them on my computer first. I can't guarantee they are perfect, and I can't seem to make them work alongside other "add recipes" type mods, but you should be able to use this straight from my zip file to your mod folder. I set them up as weaving recipes. Should be 20 fabric each, as per base clothing. ^^

Attached Files:

17. Dead Squirrel

Sweet! Good luck to you ;)

18. kittentamer

The more costumes I add, the longer it lags on the load screen. We might have to do this as mini packages so you can just add the costumes you want. =/

<edit> Wait, no. It crashed. I need to tweak the files. Probably missing a comma again. xD
    <edit> Capitalization. Being lazy with my copy pastes. =P

19. kittentamer

And on comea Mal without the jacket, and because it amuses me, I added a screen of Inara wearing his clothes. We all want to see that happen. =P
    FireflyCostumes.gif

I added FoolPower's Browncoat, too.

Oh, and the holster is stationary. I couldn't figure out how to make it move with his leg and look right. If one of you guys knows how, feel free to edit it. I have a psd file with the holster seperate from the rest if someone wants it. I guess I'm better at girls. =P

(Way to derp. I posted this on your ship discussion board first! xD)

<edit> Oh, btw. I modified the quotes and recipes for the browncoat. It now is craftable on the yarnspinner for 20 fabric like the rest. And, you know, it is fun finding quotes from the characters for the items. ^^

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  20. Dead Squirrel

Oh dear. Inara in Mal's clothes? Something dodgy's goin on :p

Totally agree, quotes are a must! And those sprites are lookin good.

I notice you keep the .frames files in your folders. So I'm curious if there's a reason for it?