1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Too laggy to even play.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by The_Fox, Dec 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Fox

The_Fox Aquatic Astronaut

I'm having issues with the playing of it. I can't even kill other creatures because my FPS is way too low and unable to even enjoy many of the fun looking updates.

My computer statistics are:
    Processor: AMD C-50 Processor 1.00 GHz
    Installed Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB (1.60 GB usable)

Is my computer just unable to run it?

2. GreyMaria

GreyMaria Existential Complex

Your computer looks sufficient...

Diagnostic's report would be more helpful at this point.

3. The_Fox

4. GreyMaria

There's a "Diagnostic" button in the launcher.

5. The_Fox

Scanning System

Number of processors: 2
    Processor architecture: x86
    Processor: AMD64 Family 20 Model 1 Stepping 0, AuthenticAMD
    ProcessAffinityMask: 00000003
    SystemAffinityMask: 00000003
    WindowsVersion: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1

EnvAppId: 211820

Environment Compatibility Flags: ElevateCreateProcess

Done.

6. The Alien Way

The Alien Way Existential Complex

As a somewhat separate question, how important is VRAM? I've got 128mb dedicated (where Steam's requirements for Starbound list 256mb), but the pagefile can go over 2gb.. Does that initial low 128mb make any difference at all with the pagefile there to back it up?? (All I've heard of is some games being hard-coded to search for a strict amount of VRAM and instead of considering the pagefile it refuses to run because it detects an amount less than what it thinks is required)

To OP, you can use Starbound's starbound.cfg to disable vsync (by setting vsync = true to vsync = false via notepad).. Really wish they'd just start a crude options page and at least put the vsync on it, as people who aren't used to battling a game to force it to play can be confused by hunting down the raw .cfg..

7. "Sufficient"? Dude my PHONE runs at a higher frequency than his computer.

8. GreyMaria

Yeah? How many of those flops do you need in order to make a phonecall?

9. The_Fox

Sorry but there isn't much of a difference, I did the vsync to false and did it on OpenGL because someone told me it runs better on it. Still seems the same for ether one.

10. This has absolutely no relevance to the point at hand. And the advice you are giving out on your own profile is absolutely hilarious.

To OP, you simply need a better processor at the very LEAST. In lamens terms: You have a dual core processor, but the frequency/processing power just isnt up to par for even the lowest grade of games nowadays.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  11. GreyMaria

Do you enjoy being a dick about everything? Shoo.

12. The_Fox

Thats not really a good thing to hear. I'm currently unemployed so money is a tight option.

13. GreyMaria

I'm pretty sure the guy's just being a dick and that you should be able to hang with enough optimizations. Let's go ahead and listen to somebody who doesn't creep on profiles and harass people over not knowing about certain operating systems.

severedskullz likes this.
  14. Honestly I came into this thread on accident, didnt even realize it was you till after you replied. Took a look at your name and thought to myself "Wasnt this the dude that got banned from the IRC channel"? Sure enough it was.

AAAAAnnnnyyyyway. To you mate, Sorry to hear, but that's why steam puts both minimum and recommended specs on the store page. Minimum is a Intel Core 2 Duo, and yours is outputting about half the power of that. Recommended is an I3, in which you don't even come close to something like that.

EDIT:
    I almost hate to ask... but what type of graphics card do you have? Something with a proccessor that is on par with the ATOM likely doesnt have much.

15. The_Fox

I didn't buy it, a friend bought it for me, and so far, Grey has been trying to help me why you were saying really mean things. But I appreciate the help ether way. I have an AMD graphics card on a Compaq laptop.

16. GreyMaria

...Oh. Huh.

Compaq made laptops?

Wow. I thought they died before laptops became a thing.

17. The_Fox

Yeah i need a new one :rofl:
    Atleast I can run Portal 2 on its lowest settings

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.