1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed DRM free?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Lavitz44, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VeteranKamikaze

VeteranKamikaze Void-Bound Voyager

Probably not automatically but while I can't speak for them I can't imagine Chucklefish wouldn't give you access if you asked/proved you owned it on Steam.

2. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

The game is already "DRM Free" and works just fine without Steam.

3. The Alien Way

The Alien Way Existential Complex

Well, Rv, I mentioned it in multiple posts because the devs did state that it would be DRM free :p And in response to some of my posts you yourself (nor anyone else, including devs) ever mentioned renaming the Steam exe to escape the force-open. Not to mention that post above is almost ten days old, and in a separate thread on sunday you yourself told me about renaming the exe allowed Steam-less play, no-one had mentioned this before then, so 6+ day old posts are now irrelevant)..

Link to the thread (including me liking your post! http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/non-steam-starbound.57605/#post-1592791

My post above is seven days old, things have changed since then. Plus VeteranKamikaze handled this in a friendly manner (without using profanity AND mentioning how to keep Steam from auto-launching) less than an hour before your post.

4. RvLesh

Thread was popped to the top of the list, and I've seen at least a half-dozen new "ZOMGDRM" posts since.

5. VeteranKamikaze

You need to have Steam installed to download and update it. Once the true DRM free release is available you'll be able to download and update the game directly with no need for Steam.

6. GreyMaria

GreyMaria Existential Complex

I'm going to brick all of you misinformed people with education:

Steam is not DRM. Steam is a content distribution service with an optional authentication system which developers may choose to use or not use.

Starbound does NOT use Steam's authentication system and as such is "DRM free", only relying on Steam for updates.

RvLesh likes this.
  7. VeteranKamikaze

Steam is DRM in the sense that to play a Steam game you have to sign in to Steam and prove that you own it and to get updates. It is very loose and nonrestrictive DRM, it's no worse than having to enter a product key each time you install software, but that is by definition a form of DRM and so is Steam. A truly DRM free release lets you install and update with no questions asked.

8. RvLesh

That definition is horrific, overly broad, and includes such software as the Minecraft launcher.

GreyMaria likes this.
  9. GreyMaria

GreyMaria Existential Complex

"loose and nonrestrictive" and "DRM" are not legitimately usable in the same sentence.

10. VeteranKamikaze

Uh, what? I'm sorry but that's not correct at all. The reason DRM is such a big issue is because most modern DRM is horribly restrictive, but it by no means has to be restrictive by definition.

(link)

Having to sign in to Steam to play a game is absolutely an example of DRM.

11. RvLesh

a) Steamworks is DRM.

b) You don't even need Steam installed to play a non-Steamworks title.

12. VeteranKamikaze

You need it installed to download it if you purchased it on Steam and unless you work around it it'll load up steam and check back every time you launch the game and you have to load up steam every time you update.

13. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

The current version doesn't require steam after downloading

The Alien Way likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.