1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

So... about Glitch

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by MiniKnog Agent, Dec 29, 2013.

1. MiniKnog Agent

MiniKnog Agent Astral Cartographer

... why do they have to eat?

2. Dirigible Tomato

Dirigible Tomato Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Weren't they made to simulate life or something? Maybe it converts food n bio stuff into energy or fuel

Exxil3d, BitHorizon and sf2000 like this.
  3. Because they were created to mimic humans, organic matter and they're stuck in the thinking that they're truly alive, that they are not just machines.
    Or something like that, I haven't read any lore since I don't want to spoil things, there are people who know more than that, I'm sure.

Serenity likes this.
  4. EarlGrey

EarlGrey Big Damn Hero

Like the Mr. Fusion of Doc Brown in Back to the Future basically ;)

5. PurpleMonkey

PurpleMonkey Subatomic Cosmonaut

Same reason Bender has to drink, to recharge their fuel cells.

[​IMG]

6. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

If you think that's odd... how come bandages work to patch their wounds? ;)

7. T.Y.M.

T.Y.M. Phantasmal Quasar

They must get their energy from somewhere, and if they were made to simulate life, they probably were designed to be able to get it by eating.

8. MiniKnog Agent

MiniKnog Agent Astral Cartographer

Just me, or is there something very disturbing about a machine designed to "eat" the flesh of living creatures?

9. Gazz

Gazz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

They use a Mr. Fusion generator.
    It's the power plant of choice if you need 1.21 jigawatts of power!

Rezec and ReverendBonobo like this.
  10. T.Y.M.

T.Y.M. Phantasmal Quasar

It doesn't seem like meat is the main dish on their diet, and desperate times need desperate measures.

11. Kelad

Kelad Astral Cartographer

Nanomachines.

Nanomachines that heal them slowly to simulate organic healing.

Exxil3d likes this.
  12. Over

Over Void-Bound Voyager

It would be funny if the Glitch were coal fueled, leaving a trail of somke behind them. :)

13. Tonguetyd

Tonguetyd Sandwich Man

That does become more disturbing when you think that machines programmed to eat flesh are modeled after us.

14. elipod

elipod Industrial Terraformer

Im more disrurbed by the fact, that other species can eat glitch specific food, it's made of metal.

15. Doublejho

Doublejho Existential Complex

Maybe it's sticky tape. It DOES sound a lot like sticky tape. Maybe it's duct tape.

16. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

As equally as disturbing as animals and humans lol

17. Betrael

Betrael Poptop Tamer

Meat is delicious, even robots know that.

ReverendBonobo likes this.
  18. reversePsychologist

reversePsychologist Scruffy Nerf-Herder

They are like any other electric furniture in the game: they have infinite power.

They are programmed to believe they need to eat for the sake of the experiment they were originally intentended to be. "Believe" perhaps is the wrong word though, if the artificial hunger timer they have inside reaches zero they literally begin shutting down.

That brings us, of course, to a whole lot of new questions such as "How did they have all the possible foods catalogued in their hunger system for recognition?", "Then why do they have their own metal food?", "...and why does it grow on every planet of the universe?", "...wait no, why does it even grow?! What's with the metal trees?!", "And if their reproduction method is building a new robot from scratch together, shouldn't they have such pieces of code and circuitry stocked somewhere or at least know they are being artificially given hunger and stuff?".

All those questions have, of course, precise answers, which read as foll- hold on, someone's calling me it's an important one sorry gotta go.

Out of context, anything's creepy. In fact, I'm not sure wether machines that eat "living things" is creepier than living things eating other living things, when you look at things in these terms? Besides, they are programmed to act like actual population, and among those things there's eating some animals, nothing wrong with that!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  19. AhmNee

AhmNee Big Damn Hero

I like to think of them as nano-repair patches. Made from plant... fibers.

Robo-plant fibers?

20. Doublejho

Doublejho Existential Complex

Duct taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaape.

krylo likes this.