SHIP EXPANSION: Just make it completely custom

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by GreyMaria, Dec 24, 2013.

1. GreyMaria

GreyMaria Existential Complex

I'm just going to get straight to the point. Inflexible modular ship design is pretty much not why we're here.

Give us a fully customizable spaceship made out of blocks.

More specifically:
    - Building the ship will take place at a shipdock, where the basic shape of the ship and any crucial systems are added.
    - Shipdocks are only for modifying the structure and function of the ship. It's up to the player to board the ship themselves and place decorations, storage, and dirt.
    - Give us a starting allotment of ship blocks to build our spaceship with, enough to build a ship roughly the size of the current default.
    - Give us the ability to purchase using pixels extra blocks, spaceship augmentations, and maybe a few dozen units of fuel per visit.
    - Give us extra ship blocks as minor quest rewards.
    - Let us dig up extra ship blocks from a spaceship crash random encounter or dungeon construct.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
    Old_Crazy_Gamer, IceWolf and Nakano15 like this.
  2. Nakano15

Nakano15 Pangalactic Porcupine

Beside there's a mod that does that, i agree with you.
    Or, they could let us upgrade the ship by buying spaceship parts on some builder npc.

3. Slimy

Slimy Pangalactic Porcupine

I think we're eventually going to be able to add components to our ships. It has proven to look less unsightly than slapping blocks on. As long as we're able to expand the ships in the future

Though this really makes me think that more things should be 3d-printable. Perhaps wall panels and lights should be available in the 3d printer from the start.

IceWolf likes this.
  4. Disig

Disig Pangalactic Porcupine

I like the given designs though. I would rather see options, like making it bigger (which is planned for the next update I think?) plus the ability to mod it and reshape it (ala custom designs for the more creative). There's nothing options can't solve!

IceWolf likes this.
  5. GreyMaria

The given designs could be broken down into blocks and objects, I believe...

Disig likes this.
  6. BeLe

BeLe Big Damn Hero

that's a bit of a problem though, isn't it? If your ship's completely custom and you spent hours designing/building it, you wouldn't want some guy to join your party on a server and then be like "Oh look, effort, must destroy".
    For custom ships to be truly viable for the masses, you need to have an option to lock everything in place, or be restricted to unbreakable materials (which would really suck if you placed one mistake)

7. Old_Crazy_Gamer

Old_Crazy_Gamer Pangalactic Porcupine

I would love to see them add a space dock and vendor that sells either new ships or materials (blocks, etc). Now on the topic of making the design unbreakable or just adding a locking mechanic to it, i would rather add a locking mechanic to it (always something new to add).

Currently i use the mod that allows me to make my own till they come out with the idea that was mentioned above.

8. Disig

Disig Pangalactic Porcupine

I think that is where the stations come into play that were mentioned where you could design it. A place where blocks would be unlocked but when not there they would be locked. Then again a LOT in general needs to be done for multi-player to avoid griefing.

9. GreyMaria

This is why I'm suggesting shipdocks where ships must be parked to have their main structure modified. Only the owner and invited party members would be allowed to edit the ship, of course.

Old_Crazy_Gamer likes this.
  10. Old_Crazy_Gamer

Wonder why they couldn't let you start out at a station. Then give you enough pixel to get a basic ship (one that is able to be customized) and your basic gear. Your ship would have enough fuel for one jump and then the adventure starts. The coordinates for the station would be in the navigation computer, if you wanted to come back.

Now wouldn't it be easier to do it this way than the current method.

11. GreyMaria

Sure, makes sense. You need to ditch your current podunk ship and get away, and you only have enough pixels to get a new ship designed that your pursuants won't recognize. The station shoos you out hurriedly, encouraging you to select a nearby starsystem to seek refuge in, and then you can come back later once it's safe.

12. BeLe

BeLe Big Damn Hero

you should put that information on the first post. It seems a little rushed, though that could've just been how I read it.
    I know you mentioned shipdocks twice but I didn't see the rest of the info there.

13. Slimy

Slimy Pangalactic Porcupine

Easier? Yeah, but I think crash-landing on a planet and narrowly escaping with your life is a far more exciting way to start the game.

14. GreyMaria

I edited the original post to make it more of a list of things.

15. Old_Crazy_Gamer

@ Slimy that is a idea that could be done, character crash lands on planet with basic gear and must find a way off planet or die trying. Character finds old repairable ship on planet. Unfortunately Starbound doesn't have a well defined start to the game.

What i posted would be a starting point for what would allow you to get a ship and gear and then start your adventure. Main thing get a ship that you build from what monies you start with. That would tie all the stuff that is talked about in the first post. Everything has to at least have a starting point of some kind. Make Character then make basic ship then explore the unknown.

Does this help a little bit into what i was talking about.

16. SemperDarky

SemperDarky Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm not sure if starting you off before you run away is a good idea, kind of ruins the fun on finding a major space station. The current lore suggests you panicked and ran away never looking back and, consequentially getting yourself lost. I think the best way to do things about ships is not to allow full customization with blocks (too much PC strain for servers and such) but opt for a more used system - several classes of ship (small - medium - big - etc.), several types (small - A, small - b and let you add modules like guns, rooms and customizable flaps, engines, etc.

Non the less, check my (older) post regarding space stations/ports and docking for ships!

http://community.playstarbound.com/...ck-right-here-space-stations-ports-ftw.57324/

17. GreyMaria

Too much strain my ass, current sandbox ship mods cause far less issues than having twenty people out on twenty planets trying to load up twenty world chunks a piece.

That is to say, they cause no issues at all. Making completely customizable ships an official feature isn't going to cause anything like that.

18. Old_Crazy_Gamer

I wonder how many players use Rik's Build your own ship / sandbox ship on servers.

19. GreyMaria

I actually made my own mod, as Rik's has an issue down at the bottom where there's a few empty space blocks that can't be replaced with background tiles.

It gets better, though: mine doesn't have invisible borders, so it can expand quite a bit :3

20. Old_Crazy_Gamer

*bows to lady*

Have you put your mod up in the mods area by chance or just keeping it private atm?