1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Is is possible to offend a fictional race...?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Snazzy Drew, Dec 20, 2013.

?

Which race do you dislike the most?

1. Monkeymen

79 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Birdfolk

32 vote(s)
    23.0%
  3. Robochaps

28 vote(s)
    20.1%
  1. MrForz

MrForz Void-Bound Voyager

Being a Glitch gets Florans to be unusually nice and cheerful, I'd almost want to stay on every single planet where these villages are found. So far only the Apex race, at least on Big Ape's side get to make me feel uncomfortable with their awkward laboratories.

2. Skhmt

Skhmt Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Florans aren't cannibals, they only eat other species.

Also, you can dehumanize another species as much as you want because they're not human. And why shouldn't you put your own species ahead of another? Being capable of thought doesn't guarantee the same rights as people of your own species because in the end, the other species are generally competition.

3. TheHonorableGeneral

TheHonorableGeneral 2.7182818284590...

The same could be said for other human beings and other human ethnicities, but we don't insist that one race of humans be put ahead of another. Compassion is an element in diplomacy with others, you know.

4. Skhmt

Humans are the same species. The goal of all life is ultimately reproduce and spread the species further. Humans of different races can reproduce with each other. The separate species in Starbound probably differ so vastly in genetics that they may not even have DNA (besides the Glitch and Novakids, who obviously don't).

Humans, for example, have more genetically in common with a gecko from Earth (may she rest in peace) than they would with an Avian or Hylotl.

5. Captainpeels146

Captainpeels146 Tentacle Wrangler

I like the way the Apex have a very distinct leader. I dislike the glitch I have to say. I like steampunk, but it's too old fashioned for me

6. Falke77

Falke77 Big Damn Hero

So much racism, interesting.

I play as a Glitch, and a logical being has no reason to be racist.

There's probably enough resources on the earth for everyone to live a decent life, I would assume there are enough in the entire universe for multiple species to as well.

But 'communism is evil' and all that jazz.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  7. neoniw

neoniw Big Damn Hero

Did you even read the first post?

8. Skhmt

The first post used the wrong term. If you've read my posts, we'd be on the same page.

9. Kufell

Kufell Pangalactic Porcupine

"Cannibalism during funeral rituals and wars with rival factions are commonplace" - http://playstarbound.com/meet-the-florans/

Their introduction disagrees with you.

10. neoniw

neoniw Big Damn Hero

I answered the post that asked in the first post of the thread. Whether or not you agree with how he PHRASED HIS QUESTION is completely irrelevant to me.

11. zhalias33

zhalias33 Industrial Terraformer

i just have to say, i love the line "do you roleplay a racist?" lol
    anyway, personally i do not really have a problem with any race in particular. i just hate the people who try to kill me. and useless merchants. i kill them too, regardless of race. by useless merchants, i mean if i open your merchant window and you are literally selling NOTHING, but still calling yourself a merchant, you die. also, i tend to just kill random people sometimes in villages. no particular races that get targeted or anything, just random murders and then i teleport back to my ship and blast away. also worth noting, if you perform one of these random murders, people do not care. as long as you put your weapon away afterwards, guards are just like "oh ok then, have a nice day" you could literally wipe a city out of citizens, and leave every guard alive. just kill villager, put weapon away and let guards walk off. rinse and repeat.

12. Captainpeels146

Captainpeels146 Tentacle Wrangler

it's only natural for you to consider your race "better" than someone else's. obviously you're going to think highly of your character

Bloodspiker and MrForz like this.
  13. DivineMalevolence

DivineMalevolence Big Damn Hero

I've no qualms with the Florans. Honest if not a little forward, but given time they can be taught not to 'ssstab' you. A crew member you can place your trust in is always valued.
    The Glitch are.... Well.... The glitch. Old fashioned, sure. Potentially dangerous, sure. Problems? Not at all.
    Hylotl should probably get over themselves.
    Avians are scum. Sacrifice is outdated and was horrendous at its offset.
    And the Apex. If ever there was a race to distrust, it's this. Brainwashing and controlling its own people is bad, but what they're doing to my people? I'll feel no guilt cleaning their blood off my boot any time soon. Lets hope big ape has a bigger guard force.

Captainpeels146 likes this.
  14. Khorak

Khorak Industrial Terraformer

Avians. Just because the highest number of places I run into are Avian temples and tombs. My life is a litany of Avian gunshots. Plus I'm always a Floran, so I like shinies for my ship. Avian stuff looks rubbish, so they don't even have shinies as recompense for having to constantly slaughter them. :mad:

15. QShadow

QShadow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

First off I play a human, since Earth was taken I think we've gotten a Riddick style touch to our image.

When I first encountered Florans they were mostly rude but since I'm more a peacful guy (at least I try to compensate my dark constant bloodlust) I let them continue their tiny worthless lives, but since I once stumbeled over one of their dungeons, and they killed me like 10 times in a row I from there own EXTERMINATED every floran I came across.

However 2 rare encounters with florans where one said, he was sorry for us humans to have lost our homeworld and the other meant he (or she) likes humans (and appearently not in the cooked kind of manner) I stoped to whipe them from the face of the galaxy.
    No I only kill them if they activly provoke me.

16. TheWalrusNet

TheWalrusNet Phantasmal Quasar

same opinion as most others here really, dislike the Floran to the point of making them talk, and if whatever they say is anything less than a compliment i lead a wild animal in there to kill them brutally. The only race to have ever attacked me so far has been Florans... and the odd bandit... The apex seem a bit dull, humans are just prisoners so far, all of them... glitch are EVERYWHERE its insane, and avians are generally pretty cool people when they aren't impaling you with spears in a dark temple ._.

17. kiomadoushi

kiomadoushi Subatomic Cosmonaut

"Floran better behave, or Floran will eat... Floran? Floran is confused."
    The guards suggest eating misbehaving florans.

My Floran's viewpoints:
    • Humans: Hairless monkeysss. Don't really know why they sssquish sso easssily. Floran not understand why hairless monkeysss like to put their criminals in cellsss. Better punishment to eat or ssstab. Good hairless monkeysss can be sssmart, not bad huntersss either. Floran respect them.
    • Apex: Monkey men think they are so sssmarter than Floran. But Floran know many ways to ssstab and kill, Floran could outsssmart monkey. Floran much better than monkey men. Floran not want to kill monkey, unlesss monkey think Floran isss weak. Then Floran ssstab. Floran wouldn't be in ssspace though without monkeys... But Floran ssstill better than monkey men at being in ssspace!
    • Avian: Floran happy birdsss help cocoonkin leave planet. If birdsss didn't help Floran, Floran would probably be great hero with bessst trophy to put in Floran home, show all cocoonkin. Floran could even be ruler! Now Floran is not so happy birdsss helped. Floran like bird tech, neat ssstuff that make Floran go flying through the air!
    • Hylotl: Hisss!!! Sssushi hate Floran, ssso Floran hate sssushi too! Floran ssstabbed many sssushi before leaving home. Floran likesss their taste though. Floran never wanted to ssstab sssushi, but sssushi didn't like cocoonkin calling sssushi planet Floran-home. Now Floran hates sssushi, glad sssushi is dead. Only good sssushi is ssstabbed sssushi.
    • Glitch: Floran can't ssstab robot, not very fun. Robots only one who doesn't hate Floran for being around. Floran not like cocoonkin. Ssstabbing is fun, but Floran is different, can feel it in Floran's stems. Robots treat Floran like part of family. They grow plantsss that tassste like blood too. Sssquishy metal skin, unlike Robots. If Robots keep giving Floran tasssty robot blood fruit, Floran can be friendsss.
    • Novakid: Floran only heard ssstories, but Floran think energy beingsss better for ssstabbing than talking to. Floran doesn't undersstand why birdsss would even try talking to it. Ssstab first, assk later.
    • Floran: Floran read Floran Peace. Best book telling othersss what Floran life is like. Ssspeaks to Floran's ssoul. Politicsss are for monkey men, Floran can just ssstab, sssaves time, too! Cocoonkin think Floran is ssstill part of cocoonkin, but Floran hasss learned freedom. Floran would never harm cocoonkin, but Floran and cocoonkin are just too different now. Is for the bessst.
    So my floran isn't really racist (except against fish! but only cos they hated me first). Just because we like to stab things doesn't mean we're bloodthirsty maniacs. We can be peaceful, and hold promises, and even ally ourselves with others. We're just natural creatures, a part of nature as any flower or bear or alligator is. Don't take it personal when we want to "ssstab" you and eat you. You're just food. We have no remorse for that, because we're also just part of the food chain. (sorry for the abundance sss's, just giving an accurate first-person perspective)

18. zhalias33

why lead a wild animal in? just pull out your weapon and kill them. then put it away. as soon as you put your weapon away, the guards say "Thank you." or "I am grateful." or something like that, even if you just slaughtered 3 people. when you put your weapon away, they thank you and walk away.

19. TheWalrusNet

TheWalrusNet Phantasmal Quasar

because killing them myself would be too easy. i prefer to watch them scream and yell for the guards while the evil squirrel-alligators rip their faces off. Jus' sayin'

QShadow likes this.
  20. zhalias33

good point. i can see your logic there