1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Is is possible to offend a fictional race...?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Snazzy Drew, Dec 20, 2013.

?

Which race do you dislike the most?

1. Monkeymen

79 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Birdfolk

32 vote(s)
    23.0%
  3. Robochaps

28 vote(s)
    20.1%
  1. Snazzy Drew

Snazzy Drew Subatomic Cosmonaut

So, one of my favorite thing about the forum community is that some of us actually feel resentment towards one or more of the races. I've seen people referring to one another by such things as "disgusting Floran savage" and "fish-eyed freak". These little in-character moments really bring this game to life for me.

I notice that I even started giving the races different names. Starbound has fishfolk, birdfolk, monkeymen, robochaps, plant people. I do this mostly to symbolize my human's completely ignorance of the universe.
    I'm always secretly worried that I'm going to offend one of the kind Glitches when I call then 'robochaps'. And I generally hate the damned dirty apes because I haven't met a single one who hasn't tried to annihilate me.

How has Starbound and the community helped shape your identity with the aliens around your character? Do you roleplay a racist? Which races do you favor/dislike and why?

(and I didn't complete my poll... the fail! let me edit my poll! D: )

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    Grimm2769, WoxandWarf and TheSpaniard like this.
  2. Twilightdusk

Twilightdusk Aquatic Astronaut

Observation: The poll is incomplete without the correct answer of "Potplants"

3. Kufell

Kufell Pangalactic Porcupine

And sssussshi peoplesss.

4. kiomadoushi

kiomadoushi Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hairless monkey is also missing *hiss* hylotl. Floran love to stabsss it.

5. Nyaria the Apex

Nyaria the Apex Space Penguin Leader

This is a very Biased Poll.

I generally dislike the Florians the most, they are typically very rude to me (I play Apex) and constantly badger on about eating my kind. I kill them on sight.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but something about the Florians just makes me want to hit them...

6. Snazzy Drew

.__. I think that would be my reaction to anyone bragging about eat my race of people. That's just creepy and terrifying. The few Leafheads I've met have usually been kind and most times they were hermits. They seemed chill to my human.

kellbyb likes this.
  7. kiomadoushi

But Nyaria, Floran likes to ssstab Apex. Apex very sssquishy, fun to ssstab. Good fun for whole family. Tasssty too!

c2h5oc2h5 and Grey Owl like this.
  8. You can certainly piss off RP players when you talk smack about their race.

9. Disig

Disig Pangalactic Porcupine

As a Hylotl player I kill all Florans who insult me. They took my home planet, I'm not gonna be nice anymore.

10. Snazzy Drew

Oh, dear lord. >__> Is that how the Florans are when I'm not around. Please stay away and never look at me. I'm not afraid to... *puts on shades* trim your hedges. (YYYEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHH)

Zprimal likes this.
  11. kiomadoushi

Floran ssstab everybody. Floran not racist. Floran just like ssstabbing a lot. Cocoonkin also like to ssstab. Floran not bloodthirsty, Floran just thirsty for blood.

12. Disig

Then GTFO my home planet and stab elsewhere! =P

I do like the rare Floran I come across who are all, "Floran have no problem with fish, but outstanding rivalries are still present."

kellbyb likes this.
  13. Kufell

Kufell Pangalactic Porcupine

Floran confusssed... Why does sussshi think it isss peoplesss? Food not peoplesss.

14. Disig

*shoots with lazarz!*

15. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Still, better than having the whole matrix in one post.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  16. Madcactuslover

Madcactuslover Phantasmal Quasar

Haven't found a race I disliked. I have a rainbow coalition of all of the races and each has their own unique story. Perhaps I've been playing the Apex a bit much nowadays, but I enjoy all of them

17. Gazz

Gazz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

OMG! Poll is racist! =P

18. Shadow86

Shadow86 Pangalactic Porcupine

I suppose I dislike Florans the most. They seem to be the most simple-minded, one-dimensional race, also designed with little but "cuteness" in mind. And stabbing, which as a sort of pseudo-meme has already gotten old, from my point of view.

That's all there is to them. Hopefully they'll become more interesting and fleshed (planted?) out in the future.

19. Sir_Fancy_Pants

Sir_Fancy_Pants Master Chief

Resentment. I despise the intolerant Glitch hive mind and their 'thought reassignment' centres.

20. Gazz

Gazz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

And they are environmentally friendly.
    Well, not to the environment but in the big picture, you understand?

And maybe they are more mental than environment, too.