1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Discussion CommandStar: Real-Time Chat, Online Players, and Server Status

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Seriallos, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Seriallos

Seriallos Space Penguin Leader

MajorCyto likes this.
  2. rednight69

rednight69 Big Damn Hero

If I may ask, how do I set up the line with the chatroom key?

hipchat: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    room: Skunkbound

when I put the key in it, it crashes when loading up correctly but when there's no key loads up just fine.

working on this via Win 7

3. Seriallos

That config is for a valid API token for HipChat: https://www.hipchat.com/

It's not required - just a random feature I threw in to relay chat to a HipChat server I run for coworkers. Chat will work on the web without the token.

I will look into why it crashes with a bad key. I didn't test that code very thoroughly so I'm probably not catching an exception properly.

4. rednight69

rednight69 Big Damn Hero

Ahh, alright, I host one myself for a couple of friends so was wondering what that was for and was trying to get it to work

5. Seriallos

You might need to wrap the token in double quotes:

Code:
    hipchat:
        token: "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

YAML is a little funny when it comes to hex strings.

6. MajorCyto

MajorCyto Phantasmal Quasar

That did the trick, thank you.

Im trying to edit the style of it to match my website, but even though im editing the css files it doesnt seem to accept any of my color changes. Am i missing something? Is there a web server cache or something..

7. Seriallos

I believe that static resources (CSS, JS, Fonts) will be set in such a way that the browser caches it for an hour - I haven't changed any of the defaults of Restify's static asset handling.

A force reload or browser cache clear should result in seeing your updates.

Which files are you editing? Off the top of my head, you'll probably want to remove the <link> tag for /css/bootstrap-theme.min.css and include your own. The minified versions are impossible to work with directly.

You might also want to look into docs for theming Bootstrap CSS. I'm primarily a lazy backend developer so I just grabbed an open source dark Bootstrap theme from http://bootswatch.com/.

Let me know how it goes. Getting the project more easily themeable is on my list of things to do but I haven't tackled it myself yet.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  8. MajorCyto

Success.

http://starbards.net:8080/

9. Seriallos

Very nice!

Looks like I need to make the players list a bit more condensed by default :)

10. MajorCyto

Yeah i was going to ask, if it could also scroll after a certain number? Sometimes we get up to 65 players on lol.

11. NakashimaKun

NakashimaKun Pangalactic Porcupine

Hello,

Brilliant script got it working very easy on my server however I did have a slight problem with

serverName in the default.yaml file. If your a person whom uses [Tag] in your server names you have to have your serverName: "Like [This]" for it to work or else you'll run into errors :p

Just incase this helps anybody :D

12. NakashimaKun

Regarding your issue... Might be a hacky way to do it but change the line:
    HTML:
    <ul id="players" class="list-group">
                </ul>
    To

HTML:
    <ul id="players" class="list-group" style=" height:265px; overflow:auto;">
                </ul>
    This will after it hits the height cap make them scroll :p

However that code makes a static box on the page I think this might make a more dynamic box that when the height its reach it will implement the scroll bar.

HTML:
    <ul id="players" class="list-group" style=" max-height:265px; overflow:auto;">
                </ul>
    Whoops should have been clear on this however I saw you had a modified theme but this is the index.html in the public folder.

13. Seriallos

I just updated the master branch of the project with the following fixes:
    • Player list now has a max-height and shows a scrollbar when it gets bigger than that
    • Less padding in the player list so it can fit more names in the same space
    • Chat should always scroll to the newest chat line and not get stuck in the middle
    • Slight updates to running the server on both Windows and Linux, no need for `npm install` or globally installing coffee-script
      • Linux: just run ./runServer.sh
      • Windows: just run runServer.bat
    • Removed in-line styles to keep things cleaner.

14. Seriallos

I might change the default.yaml to have double quotes for everything since it has fewer problems that way! Thanks for the tip.

15. NakashimaKun

No problem. I was wondering how the script uses the worlds information or will it just list the numbers? Another note could i grab you on steam wanna have a chat about something. My steamid is nakashimakun.

Thanks naka

16. Seriallos

Can you post (or PM just to me) your config file(s)? Looks like either starbound.binPath isn't set or there might be a config override issue.

Are you just editing config/default.yaml or did you create a config just for your host?

17. Seriallos

0.1.2 - Active Systems!

Fresh off the presses, a new feature and a new release!

https://github.com/seriallos/commandstar/releases/tag/v0.1.2

As always, connect to the demo server and load up the demo site to see it in action: http://commandstar.munshot.com:8080/

New
    • Added "Active Systems" display
      • Will show solar system coordinates that players are visiting
      • Known Issues:
        • Sometimes the server keeps systems open when there aren't players on it.
        • Cannot currently determine which players are in which system.
        • Systems can be "active" for 30 seconds after a player leaves.
    Fixes/Tweaks
    • Show 50 chat messages on page load instead of 20
    • One script to run the server for both Linux and Windows
      • Also keeps dependencies up-to-date
    • Fixed chat scroll bug when there were lots of messages
    • Player list now scrolls when it becomes too big
    • Minor tweaks to display (padding and things like that)
    Technical
    • Removed dependency on global coffee-script
    • Removed dependency on global mocha for testing
    • Removed in-line styles, moved into public/css/commandstar.css

18. Seriallos

Best way to get in touch is a PM here on these forums. Might take me a bit (day job, boo) but I'll answer PMs when I have time.

19. MajorCyto

20. MajorCyto

Hmm, im curious since your going through coffee server im not to sure what we can do here. But is it possible to pull the server stats and place it under the chat, such as ram usage and uptime?