MOD-TUTORIAL 1: How to make your own tool (OUTDATED)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Ghoul159, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghoul159

Ghoul159 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

basically yes

2. kungfudude

kungfudude Void-Bound Voyager

Does it replace the stone pickaxe? Mine just turned into a green thingy called something like generic item.

3. Silmaril.SE

Silmaril.SE Astral Cartographer

That means you got some syntax wrong somewhere. Probably and extra or missing comma.

Ghoul159 likes this.
  4. hoving234

hoving234 Space Hobo

My game just crash when i hit :wut:

5. hoving234

hoving234 Space Hobo

nvm my reply. I have forgot the sfx directory

6. noobtuberuser

noobtuberuser Intergalactic Tourist

Didnt work for me, do i have to put my mod in the actual asset folder? When i created my own in the main Dir, it didnt show up (yes i added the recipe and everything)

7. Ghoul159

well yes if you want to follow this tutorial...

8. noobtuberuser

So you cant have your own mod folder. I heard in the next release they are adding one.

9. Ghoul159

10. noobtuberuser

K cool. So then do we have to implement mods differently?

11. Ghoul159

you dont have to i think but it would make sense :)

12. noobtuberuser

13. Skriluh

Skriluh Seal Broken

Okay I have a problem.

I did it differently because of the update, where they added a new "mod" folder to place mods in, instead of the "assets" folder.
    Everything is fine and the new pickaxe is in the game at the crafting table, the problem is after I craft it, when I click to use it, the game crashes.

Any idea what could cause this?

The only thing I changed that makes it different from the stock stone pickaxe is the name (of course), and "tileDamage / tileDamageBlunted"
    to match that of the diamond pickaxe. so my values are 2.7 and 0.6.

With the new way to mod, you do have to add a new player config file in your mod folder, which I think it's supposed to overwrite the other(s)?
    ( there's a thread here that talks about it , http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/how-to-release-mods-in-v-offended-koala.53140/ )
    I was wondering if that could have something to do with the crash.

I'm completely new to this though so any help is appreciated.

EDIT: RESOLVED - it was in my sfx path. With the new addition of the "Mod" folder, you can leave the path found in .miningtool as /sfx/yourmodname. I previously had it as /mynewtool/sfx/etc.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    Ghoul159 likes this.
  14. C0M0

C0M0 Twenty-three is number one

I have done all of this and my game runs fine, but I can not craft the pickaxe in game :(

15. Ghoul159

well then it's most likly a problem with your .recipe file or if you are using the old method of adding it to the player.config it could be that...

16. C0M0

Whenever I click to start mining with my new pickaxe, the game just closes.. please help!

17. Ghoul159

have you looked into the starbound.log search there for your tool i bet it's an issue with the miningsound...

18. C0M0

hmm yes you are right it says this:
    Error: Could not load /mods/advancedtools/sfx/tools/pickaxe_hit.wav asset, attempting to use default.
    AssetException: No such asset '/mods/advancedtools/sfx/tools/pickaxe_hit.wav'

19. iKylez

iKylez Big Damn Hero

How do we fix that? I got the same thing but I don't want to break it more than it already is >.<

20. C0M0

you do not need to edit the path, I changed it from /mods/advancedtools/sfx/tools/pickaxe_hit.wav to /sfx/tools/pickaxe_hit.wav

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.