The future of Starbound

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

mollygos submitted a new blog post:

The future of Starbound

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014
  2. gnarlor

gnarlor Space Spelunker

Looking forward to it, great work!! The feature I am most looking forward too is a little more server control, and the space combat lol.

Update:

A things that I might consider adding would be backpack expansions. Also, I noticed when you craft something when your bags are full you essentially loose that item to the void, it should not allow you to craft more than you can carry (so that this would not happen.)

Update:

Here is food for thought, instead of using some sort of primitive locking mechanisms as found in other games; what about if you let users lock specially crafted chests with a four digit pin (this same principal could be applied to ship functions (storage/navigation) as well perhaps) that way when a user clicks on a chest they are prompted for a pin number to open said chest. Not sure how this could be implemented on a server scale though as I am not sure if you can see whom placed the initial object because that would be the client you would have to query with the chest id number to receive the pin number back from for verification; if not possible/feasible please disregard.

Another thing that I was thinking is the ability to change your weapon appearance (much the same as in other MMORPG's) via reforging; I know we have the ability to do this with armor, but how cool this would be with weapons as well.

Also another thing that is kind of annoying at least in my opinion is that once you have your tier 10 gear you can pretty much fly forever using butterfly tech (and others), and that should not be the case. Perhaps scale the energy cost at high tiers up so that this could not be done. Furthermore on this note, perhaps allow server owners to be able to detect when a client is using a modded player file (such as run/walk speed) has been modified. I have tried running a server, but I get a lot of people using 12x12 picks and running around at incredible speeds which really bog down the server. Once again this is just food for thought, but server owners need a little more control to test this extensively.

Another thing that would be kind of neat in my opinion would be the ability to send drones to planets prior to expenditure of fuel to get there. For instance in Star Trek, drones/probes are used for a variety of reasons to gather information about a planet, its technology or to scout for pockets of ore. Imagine you could send a crafted drone which could return something like (Option 1: AP2101 reports Oxygen based atmosphere, radiosilence, heavy vegetation, minor surface deposits = lifeless planet = (no towns or villages, moderate foliage and very little ores at surface level and a breathable atmosphere.) Option 2: AP2101 reports Moderate population, sparse vegetation, heavy surface deposits, Option 3: AP2101 has been silenced, lost in the void of space = (potentially hostile world, either geophysics (volcanic, corrosive atmosphere, or barbaric/hostile society has destroyed the probe.)

I know the probing system would be difficult to implement; and I might be alone on this but I think it would also allow for a real sense of immersion, as that is why we are all playing this game anyhow to escape for our own reality and explore new worlds. I just think feeling that you are the captain of your own ship could use a little more work, don't get me wrong, I love the game as is now, and it is indeed the best game I have played in a long time, but after two hours or so I find myself getting a little haggard just wondering from planet to planet without anything to do in between explorative excursions.

Just wanna say thanks for your work on this game, I for one am proud to be part of what I am sure will be remembered and known for a long time as a true part of video gaming history.

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  3. keperk88

keperk88 Orbital Explorer

Very nice to see what the long term plans are.

AIex likes this.
  4. VampireZio

VampireZio Void-Bound Voyager

Oh yeah Stargates woot.

KyPTeD, ThrainDK, Axkrull and 17 others like this.
  5. Rylyn

Rylyn Orbital Explorer

So awesome....

This is slowly becoming so big I'm so glad I spent my money on this game to help you devs :)

Keep up the good work

^___^

KyPTeD, Cliff474, Snakeyes and 34 others like this.
  6. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

I can't wait!

I REALLY CAN'T WAIT.

7. Manntooth

Manntooth Space Spelunker

Not as many, meaning less than 1 ? :D

Loving this game, keep up the great work guys!

Jasos, Morsus98, Systemsoad and 2 others like this.
  8. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

I'd really like if npc's we're alittle more interactable, or talk-able to.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    KyPTeD, eksynn, Axkrull and 35 others like this.
  9. Madskills

Madskills Aquatic Astronaut

Come on. What about binding controls?

10. AnonTheMouse

AnonTheMouse Industrial Terraformer

These are a lot of the things I wanted to hear.

Morsus98, CJx101, AIex and 11 others like this.
  11. Mr Banana Pancake

Mr Banana Pancake Orbital Explorer

Nice to see so many awesome ideas and features. Also the modding community is implementing some nice ideas. Are you planning on implementing some of them into the main game?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  12. Rylyn

Rylyn Orbital Explorer

It's on the list :/

13. donfonni

donfonni Tentacle Wrangler

Thank you for being so transparent throughout this process. It makes it so much easier and more rewarding to help with beta testing and posts like this save us a lot of typing. Can't wait to see all of this in action!

14. Seems nice. I hope for more server support, more admin tools, less cheat, for we can at once stabilize our server, connect our databases to our sites (for accounts) and start the real thing. <3
    There is already prints shared of the binding controls, it's very near.

KeesDeNeger, AIex and marsh2mellow like this.
  15. DarkOS

DarkOS Big Damn Hero

Stargates between servers ftw.

Airostar, Axkrull, bbbing and 6 others like this.
  16. Sjin_

Sjin_ Tentacle Wrangler

Great game keep up the good work :D

Parz, bbbing, Pyromancer3D and 12 others like this.
  17. Requiem

Requiem Phantasmal Quasar

Well, that doesn't sound bad. I hope, we will get the ability to set a personal teleporter (teleporting back to the spot where it were set). As I figured out, too late, that I was still porting to a spawn point, where my town was 1 1/2 days away from the spawn ... that was really painful at the first tiers without the teleport tech.

About the tech, using teleport, hovering (Butterfly or similar) and dashing - would be great.
    Teleporting, just to rush over the surface to find some interesting stuff.
    Dashing, using for melee combat or just avoiding damage.
    Hovering, using it to avoid fall damage instead of teleporting all the way up, which will cost more stamina.

bbbing, AIex and Devilboy2k13 like this.
  18. L33TRich

L33TRich Master Chief

Now this makes me quiver in my pants :rolleyes:

Captainduck, AIex and Aeronic like this.
  19. liack

liack Subatomic Cosmonaut

Teleporting between servers? probably a typo for sectors...would still be funny nonetheless...

bbbing, rossi_tomo, BlastRed and 6 others like this.
  20. Shanjaisolen

Shanjaisolen Pangalactic Porcupine

Yay for change-able spawn points! Keep up the good work guys.

bbbing, chico1596, Jaguarkia and 7 others like this.