Axes should be able to cut down trees, plants

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by PurpleTinker, Dec 16, 2013.

1. PurpleTinker

PurpleTinker Intergalactic Tourist

I prefer hammers and axes as weapons. While wielding an axe, I attempted to cut down a tree, and found to my surprise that the axe had no effect on it.

Since axes are, of course, actually used to cut down trees, shouldn't they be able to do so? :)

2. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Big Damn Hero

Well not, if axe weapons are used to cut down trees then what's the point of stone axes?

3. evilnancyreagan

evilnancyreagan Pangalactic Porcupine

You would use your glorious battle axe... to chop down a tree??? what's next? mowing the lawn with a plasma cannon?

we have a drill, I would imagine that a chainsaw is not that far off. although, the stone axe already decimates trees.

Dryw and PurpleTinker like this.
  4. PurpleTinker

PurpleTinker Intergalactic Tourist

That is how ALL TRUE WARRIORS mow thelr lawns! (Qapla!)

5. Veraal Fins

Veraal Fins Big Damn Hero

There's a mechanical issue as to why this wouldn't be done, but also a logical one!

For the first, you can't really hit background objects with weapons that destroy blocks. Though this is just an assumption because I've never seen it happen before. Trees are background objects.

Logical reason! Woodcutting axes are often specially designed for the purposes of chopping wood in a way that'll give a good cut for control over where it'll fall, as well as chopping through roots and the like. A battle axe would also get really dull in a hurry, and then how'll you fight off a snub-nosed angry zap-lion?

6. evilnancyreagan

nah, true warriors simply intimidate their lawn into submission.

[​IMG]

PurpleTinker likes this.
  7. evilnancyreagan

I actually must coincide this point, the reason why axes are popular as weapons is that during the bronze and iron ages all peasants had access to this tool to utilize as a weapon. an axe is really good a chopping wood and it just so happens that bone is pretty equal in density.

8. slthomas

slthomas Space Hobo

I think it goes one way really; a conventional axe is a suitable makeshift weapon because it's a blade on a stick, but a proper battle-axe is specialized for combat and would probably not be very good for chopping wood.

I mean, I think on the practical side I really just agree with Veraal. It appears to be coded such that tools and weapons are fundamentally different so adding that functionality would probably require something a bit more fundamental. Also, the way the stone axe is balanced at the moment, there's not really any need for any other substitutes.

9. Ewok

Ewok Subatomic Cosmonaut

As Veraal Fins mentioned they're two different types of axes. Here are 5 types of axes just for cutting wood. Each has differently designed handles and axe heads to help them in whatever task they're designed for. The same goes for battle/war axes, they're not designed to cut wood but rather bodies.

10. varunax

varunax Big Damn Hero

Same reason you don't slice pizza with a sword. Different types of axes, different types of blades.

11. IQ100

IQ100 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I know thats a realy old thread, but does anybody known why the tree-axe was removed from game? Ive read some wiki's about tree-axe but i get only tool-info and not why it was removed in development. Also ive long time ago written an mail to chucklefish but have never get an answer about this (and my request of the old furnace from enraged coala)? Is it a top secret mystery of the starbound-galaxie?! :D I love the game and when it comes a second version of it, i will buy it. But i miss some stuff from early access. Yes, it gives much stuff in Workshop and yes, the MM is fast and futuristic, but at my first home planet i want that old style ... it feels a bit different when you have a axe in hand instead of a MatterManipulator ;)