Announcement Making mod installation easier

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by bartwe, Dec 14, 2013.

1. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

To make mod installation easier support has been added for .modinfo files.
    This functionality should arrive in the next patch.

For example:

Code:
    {
      "name" : "sparkz",
      "version" : "Beta v. Indignant Koala",
      "path" : ".",
      "dependencies" : [ "tabularasa" ]
    }

would be in a file called sparkz.modinfo in the directory ./mods/sparkz/

Files are found by searching for ./mods/<modnamehere>/<modnamehere>.modinfo

This should make installing a mod as easy as unpacking a zip into the ./mods directory

More fields can be added, for example 'author' would be a handy addition and perhaps internal version numbers.

See also http://community.playstarbound.com/...iding-and-merging-config-files-in-mods.53775/

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  2. badtrip987

badtrip987 Aquatic Astronaut

Dependencies are the recipes you want to add? Instead of editing player config file?

3. Supergeek

Supergeek Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I would suggest that we implement some purely informational tags as a standard, like:

Code:
        "modauthor" : "neurisko",
        "modversion" : "1.0",
        "moddescription" : "This is a description of what the mod does.",
        "modsupporturl" : "http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/making-mod-installation-easier.52349/",

If anyone else has any other suggestions for these purely voluntary and non-functional tags, please post!

4. FINALLY! A Mod folder, no more change core asset files to cheat/lag/crash servers!

Is the mod folder being activated if you enter a server? It should be only singleplayer so they don't exploit servers. :)

Lachee and Jman1177 like this.
  5. gibbed

gibbed Orbital Explorer

Instead of polluting the names, it would work better as an object, ie:
    Code:
    {
      "dependencies" : [ "tabularasa" ],
      "metadata": {
        "author" : "foo",
        "description" : "bar",
        "support_url" : "baz"
      }
    }

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  6. badtrip987

badtrip987 Aquatic Astronaut

In the future, it would be cool if the server could send the mods to the client and activates only the ones on the server or something like that :p

7. Supergeek

Supergeek Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Good idea.

8. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

dependencies are other mods that the mod depends upon.

9. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

A system to download and load the same mods as the server is planned at some point.
    This will not block any kind of asset cheating.

10. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

Yeah good idea

11. Will mods on such folder trigger checkAssetsDigest setting?
    So we can at least have that setting on that will block asset changes and players can still run mods? I'm a bit confused on how you plan to separate client mods from servers.

12. Cayote

Cayote Aquatic Astronaut

That's really great! thanks a lot!

13. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

I don't think there is going to be much of a split between client and server assets when modding, you need most if not all files on both ends.

14. Evilius

Evilius Void-Bound Voyager

i'm hoping a bit for a feature that disables the mods you have when the server you join doesn't have them.

Edit: was a bit too eager posting. i've gotten my answer thanks =)

15. robflop

robflop Subatomic Cosmonaut

Is there a feature yet that automatically merges the mod config with core configs? Editig player.config, universe_server.config etc is really annoying.

16. Cayote

Cayote Aquatic Astronaut

You can do that using the current bootstrap.config method, you can just include a player.config file in your mod and it'll override it.

17. Aimay

Aimay Big Damn Hero

Code:
    {
      "dependencies" : [ "tabularasa" ]
    }

And the path would lead where exactly? How I thought the mods would go would be to recreate blank folders within the mod folder itself that mimic the path of where the modded files go and they are then just overwritten... or am I just looking at this wrong?

18. robflop

But what If i had for example:
    the felins race, the kangaru, the link mod and others that all edit the player.config, the two races edit codex, quests, universe_server.
    Will all mod-config files be merged into one? (so that i can use felin and kangaru at the same time, for example)

19. Cayote

Cayote Aquatic Astronaut

Yeah, I've got a few item mods installed which I made myself, but in each mod the player.config file only contains the items added in those mods, but they all get collected together and used as a whole.

20. robflop

So, do i need to include the edited config files, basically vanilla ones with the extra lines added or just the config files with the extra ones (without the vanilla things)?