Import custom sprites for character creation

Discussion in 'Other' started by Zukaro Travon, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Zukaro Travon

Zukaro Travon Master Chief

My idea is similar to that of a Minecraft skin. Basically I just think it'd be really nice to be able to import custom sprites you've made (or parts; for example, lets say you make a face you really like and want to use stock everything else, you could do that) and have other players able to see those sprites when playing online.

I think that would be really cool as it'd add a lot to character customization, as well you could share the sprites you've made with other people so they can use them too.

2. Zukaro Travon

What do you guys think?

3. Zukaro Travon

4. Fusioneko

Fusioneko Phantasmal Quasar

Well they'd have to add a means for the sprite to be shared. Just like minecraft adds it, by having the client fetch it from minecraft.net if I recall. The server could transfer it between clients, assuming the server is reliable in that means. But it could be extensive in modifying the client greatly. Sharing of assets from a server to -> client however. In the presence of modded servers would be interesting. But. while your idea shows customization, it can essentially be done already through altering the assets already/ via modding.

5. Zukaro Travon

I know it's possible via modding, but the idea is to be able to share your custom skins with people. The sprites could just be downloaded from the client to the server or something like that to share them.
    I'd rather not have to have everyone go out of their way to download the assets I'm using so that they can see my character the way I customized it. As well, that doesn't work very well when joining random servers unless it's the server which pushes your sprite to the other clients.

6. Fortnititudus

Fortnititudus Space Hobo

I have some custom sprites from an old mod, but this is my first time modding, and I have never modded before. (The sprites from the old mod aren't affecting my avian (without sprite edits)) So, how do I update the mod, and get the sprites imported? (Also, I already have the assets unpacked, to save time.)

PS: There's gonna be an ALDI store opening up in Ocean Springs (where I live) next year! Can't wait!

7. Fortnititudus

Fortnititudus Space Hobo

Fusioneko, the mod that I have was last updated on June 24, 2017 at 11:43 PM, so, how do I update it to the current state Starbound is in now?