1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Win7 "GraphicsException: Could not create a HAL device." Screenshot included.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Fa1c0n, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArmyOfOne

ArmyOfOne Orbital Explorer

Sorry for such a late reply! I didn't see you replied. The drive date is: 4/19/2010. And the Driver version is 814.10.2117

2. Prothvar

Prothvar Space Hobo

Swift it is very cool you are helping people, i do NOT have a laptop, i played this the last day or so with no real problems.

http://gyazo.com/78cc82a50f8bb113c2f27bad1b4e9709 is my error.

Operating System
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07GHz 56 °C
    Bloomfield 45nm Technology
    RAM
    18.0GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 530MHz (8-8-8-20)
    Motherboard
    EVGA 131-GT-E767 (Socket 423) 43 °C
    Graphics
    HP S2031 (1600x900@60Hz)
    H190L2 (1280x1024@60Hz)
    896MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 (EVGA) 65 °C
    Storage
    465GB Seagate ST3500418AS ATA Device (SATA) 37 °C
    Optical Drives
    DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
    DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24LS50 ATA Device
    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

is the program speccys thing of my specs (Yeah i know i need to update that graphics card >.>)

3. swiftlovebird

swiftlovebird Pangalactic Porcupine

Sorry for my late response as well; this week and next week is finals and it's quite hectic.
    I found an update for your current graphics adapter driver. Let's update that dirty girl and see where we're at. :love:

Hey there Proth. I'm more than happy to help, so thank you!
    Do you know if your drivers are updated as well?

4. Prothvar

Prothvar Space Hobo

Device manager, which did you want to check my monitors? already did those and cpu, and gfx card

5. swiftlovebird

So you already covered your GPU and that's updated? Also, did you try what I suggested on the front page?

6. Prothvar

Prothvar Space Hobo

Tried the CCstuff, for some reason i can't put the game in admin mode, tried turning off the community thing.

7. swiftlovebird

Wait you can't run it as Administrator? Why?

8. Prothvar

Prothvar Space Hobo

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  9. swiftlovebird

10. ArmyOfOne

Hey so I tried to update it, and I just got a message saying this:

"The driver being installed is not validated for this computer.
    Please obtain the appropriate driver for the computer's manufacturer."

11. Prothvar

Prothvar Space Hobo

I do, but it i open it via desktop shortcut, i get the exact same thing going on the steam program.

12. swiftlovebird

Yikes. I wonder if it's because it's being controlled from Toshiba (you were using a Toshiba right? Or Acer? One of those.).
    Do you have a Toshiba 'Update' client or something? Anything that will let you update your drivers through a crappy Toshiba program?

Remember that I'm not one of the Chucklefish developers so all my suggestions are unofficial; keep in mind that spending your time with my advice will not guarantee results. :)
    Try running Steam as Administrator.

13. Prothvar

Prothvar Space Hobo

I know, but you are going out of your way to help, and you are awesome for this, so we all are grateful, and already tried it, worst part is i actually did get to play it so i know what i am missing lol.

14. swiftlovebird

Let's try a few things:
    1. Verify your game cache on Steam
    2. If the above doesn't work, reinstall Starbound.
    I seriously can't think of anything else that doesn't involve manipulating Windows key registries; don't ever do this.

15. ArmyOfOne

I searched my computer and the only thing I could find was this thing called "Toshiba Application and Driver Installer". Will that work?

16. Prothvar

Prothvar Space Hobo

Lol I have done both, verified, reinstalled 3 times >.>

17. swiftlovebird

This is probably it. Toshiba is ridiculous and likes to release the exact same updates only with their signatures on it; attempt to update from this program and nothing more. Remember, be sure to have a backup restore point ready in case the drivers aren't responding correctly.

Yikes! Proth, you've really been trucking through the mud on this one buddy. I don't know what else to suggest :-(. You've done every possible thing I can think of. Did we attempt to run it as openGL?

18. Prothvar

Prothvar Space Hobo

not sure how to do that, lol. Apparently it got added? >.> lol. And that works omg thank you chucklefish for the patch! (yet normal mode doesnt work still lol)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  19. Prothvar

Prothvar Space Hobo

okay odd, i removed all my nvidia drivers reupdated, now everything works (lol had problems with terraria as well)

20. swiftlovebird

I'm very glad to hear! Good thinking, Proth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.