1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED The Mod Box - A simple furniture for organizing custom recipes

Discussion in 'Furniture and Objects' started by Kadravor, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Kadravor

Kadravor Void-Bound Voyager

THE MOD BOX

[​IMG]
    /!\ Disclaimer : You still need to

I just started modding and one of the things I figured is that it would be much easier if I had a place to test my recipes before implementing them into the legit crafting system of the game.

Basically, it's a custom crafting table crate displaying whatever custom items you add to the game. (after correctly configuring the recipes for that.)
    You may not find this super useful but it prevents having a mess instead of a crafts list.

It looks like this :
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

DOWNLOAD

• Extract assets into your Starbound folder.
    • The recipes you want to show up in the Mod box must be in :
    \assets\recipes\starter\modbox
    and must be in the "modbox" group.
    example : "groups" : [ "modbox", "weapons", "all" ]
    • Once you have set up everything, the Mod Box should appear in the crafting table for the humble price of 1 pixel.

PS : Gosh, I'm bad at formatting.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  2. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

You made me have a heart attack, twice. First I was totally excited because I thought you found a way to include recipes without touching core folders, then I realised that's only because you placed them in the 'starters' folder and had a sadness heart attack.

Now I'm still deciding wether or not it's a good idea to use this for actual mods. It doesn't change any already existing files, so it's compatible with other mods. But it still makes users place a folder outside your normal mod folder, which I was hoping to avoid...

Damn you for your perfect but at the same time useless solution to my problem. D:

3. Kadravor

Haha ! Oh well. I discovered modding by myself so I don't really know about centralized mods (I still stick with the player.config thing) but if you have a suggestion to make it more convenient for modders like you, well my
    ears are wide open :mwahaha:

Anyway, I'm gonna think about this !

4. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

As it stands now, I hardly think this'll make it easier for myself. I like the idea of a testing crafting table, but as soon as you have your own fully functioning, it's not hard to get those items in that. That is, if you have a decent way of getting those blueprints to the player. Which you should have if you have a finished crafting table anyway. I guess it's a good way for players that don't have a custom crafting table themself and just want to try out stuff like new armors or items though.

The thing is, I just realised this does not work with custom recipes for vanilla items, which is what I was secretly hoping for. There's nothing you can do about that though.

Oh, also, you rock at spriting. I still need to get around and make art for my own table, and I'm pretty sure it won't even look half as good as this nifty box.

5. Kadravor

Let's just say I'm sorta good at recycling stuff from the game's asset.

It's quite odd that custom vanilla recipes cannot be incorporated... How come ?

Edit : I'm stoopid. 'custom vanilla recipes'

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  6. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

You just can't implement a recipe that's custom made that outputs a vanilla item if that vanilla item already has a recipe. For some reason, if a vanilla recipe exists already, there's no way to make a new recipe with unique properties. You can edit the vanilla recipes, sure, but that's stupid.

And I kinda guessed it was something like the metal crate you remodeled? I'm seriously not sure where you got it from at this point.

7. Kadravor

It's the bunker crate, I believe. I used some panel animation as a source of inspiration for the front screen.

8. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

If you don't mind, I'm trying the same sort of thing based upon a recolored wooden crate. Would you be against me using your .frames file as a base to make this thing work for myself? I have to admit, it'll look somewhat similar since the wooden crate looks similar to what you made.

9. Kadravor

Yeah, knock yourself out. It's really simple to create one on your own.

Code:
    "frameGrid" : {
        "size" : [length, height], //the size of the first frame, the proper object, if you want.
        "dimensions" : [6, 1], // 6 represents the number of horizontal frames, 1 the number of vertical ones (I guess)
        "names" : [
          [ "default.0", "default.1", "default.2", "default.3", "default.4", "default.5" ] //just add default.n depending of the number of frames you have
        ]
      },

"aliases" : {
        "default.default" : "default.0" 
      }
    }

10. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

Heh, sorry, I kinda went ahead and did it yesterday. I just looked at your frames file and saw how it worked. If you're curious how it turned out, my 0.7 release of the Creative Mode mod has it. Although, some of the mod is broken now because of the update.

11. Kadravor

What time is it ? Compatibility rework time !

12. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

Join the club ^.^

13. Tomeno

Tomeno Scruffy Nerf-Herder

aMannus, try making a furnace recipe for the blueprint, like cooking one wood gives you the blueprint :)

14. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

Why are you telling me this exactly? My mod does exactly this already. :O

EDIT: Oh, you're responding to my old posts. I already knew back then that furnace recipes work, but they're still stupid. Rather just have blueprints unlocked for players immediately.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  15. Tomeno

Tomeno Scruffy Nerf-Herder

oh, okay :I